Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 3:45 PM, Triop said:

KILLITWITHFIRE!!!!!11!!!!1

ERq86gS.png

only 989 more segments and I'll have my centipede. :cool:

you only need 50 segments with 2 legs each. Also, why a 1000? I know you're joking, but a 1000 would be a millipede, not a centipede. 

2 hours ago, GoldForest said:

you only need 50 segments with 2 legs each. Also, why a 1000? I know you're joking, but a 1000 would be a millipede, not a centipede. 

actually, centipedes only have one leg pair per segment, millipedes have two

(also, y'know, neither of the above actually has the appropriate legs; some centipedes have >100, but no species naturally has 100)

19 minutes ago, Orky Kultur said:

actually, centipedes only have one leg pair per segment, millipedes have two

(also, y'know, neither of the above actually has the appropriate legs; some centipedes have >100, but no species naturally has 100)

I meant 1 pair of legs. 1 pair = 2 legs. 

10 minutes ago, Triop said:

Still a work in progress, It's powered by the rotor, but for a steam engine the piston has to do the work.

No idea how to communicate that with KAL-1000 yet . . .

I'd suggest setting the rotor unpowered and free spinning, and then checking the piston extension manually when it's at several different angles on the flywheel. Take those extension numbers and plug them into the controller at the correct time intervals. The flywheel's inertia should carry the piston through 0 and 180 degrees, when it's at minimum and maximum extension.

W.I.P. The next part of Expedition Eeloo begins soon

shutting-down-base.png?w=1500&h=

mun-stone-1.png?w=1500&h=

taking-samples-1.png?w=1500&h=

These were images from my Mun mission (Mission 1 of Expedition Eeloo.) Starting to expand out a little. The second mission will be Minmus, then Duna. But I need help designing a rover give me rover designs, please.

15 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

I'd suggest setting the rotor unpowered and free spinning

I get that.

16 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

checking the piston extension manually when it's at several different angles on the flywheel.

Still with ya, sounds good.

16 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

Take those extension numbers and plug them into the controller

Ok.

17 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

plug them into the controller at the correct time intervals.

This is where it gets hard, the timing has to be perfect.

I'll give it a try , thanks for the tips, I like learning from this community. ^_^

1 hour ago, HB Stratos said:

@Triop how did you do the double root (root the piston to the flywheel and the base so they stay connected)?

This is all connected, then strutted on the base.

NnRUP3k.png

I hope this helps a bit, I'm terrible at explaining things in English...In Dutch too.... ^_^

screenshot294.png

I said if I ever was to build something with the DLC I will show everyone that if you use the DLC there are standards to live up to. So here I am building the plane that will probably the most work I´ve ever put into a plane. +1 if you recognize the plane.

Edited by HB Stratos

28 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

Why do you have fuel lines connected to your landing gear?

Not realy on topic, but i found out fuel lines work as elastics when used on moving parts, it can give some awesome effects.

(you can't make a crossbow though...(I guess).

28 minutes ago, HB Stratos said:

To mimic the struts because when I was building I didn´t know @Triops trick of strutting it.
compare to this:

maingearsmall.gif

Can't see the gif mate.

43 minutes ago, HB Stratos said:

So you just have loose hinges and the mechanism is held together by struts? Would that work with an actuated piston instead of rotating the wheel?

Not me, but @FleshJeb made it work, he converted my steam engine to be piston driven.

Maybe he would like to comment on this ?

@HB Stratos I got it to work with the piston. It doesn't keep position in the editor, but it runs pretty well on the runway. If I were to build something like this for myself, I would dock the loop together--Either with a docking port on a piston, or a Making History inflatable docking port. I've tried both, and they work great.

@Triop

4 minutes ago, FleshJeb said:

It doesn't keep position in the editor,

Yeah, that was also my problem, but it does work on the runway you say,...

That's interesting.

Feel free to share your piston driven version.

Edited by Triop

Adding some drop tanks on it, and slight fix to the airbrakes so it doesn't send the plane flying upwards when you deploy them.

L0E4rHL.png

VE7aJ1w.png

Its interesting how the hinges just bug out at times though, I have the hinges autostrutted to heaviest part to keep the wings from flexing too much when flying, but sometimes only one wing will move and the other will be stuck, or both would be stuck. Reverting to launch fixes it though.

Edited by Mignear