Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

After hours and hours of changing, tuning and many many headaches I have given up on getting this tripod to walk.

36KcvdU.png

I think i might be because of the short legs in combination with losing balance since having 3 legs isn't to stable. 

If any of you have some suggestions I'm all ears... if not I'll just wait untill someone uploads a similar looking tripod, maybe I could use that walking script.

For now this one will be tucked away in some dark wip closet.

1 hour ago, Torn4dO said:

After hours and hours of changing, tuning and many many headaches I have given up on getting this tripod to walk.

36KcvdU.png

I think i might be because of the short legs in combination with losing balance since having 3 legs isn't to stable. 

If any of you have some suggestions I'm all ears... if not I'll just wait untill someone uploads a similar looking tripod, maybe I could use that walking script.

For now this one will be tucked away in some dark wip closet.

A tripod might be pretty hard to be reliable on it's own - at least without RW since you need to lift one leg at a time for walking and therefore end up with only two (-> unstable) legs on the ground.

Try it with four legs and make sure to have the CoM within the three-feet triangle that makes it stable.

4 hours ago, Torn4dO said:

Aw. :( It looks nifty. Why not spam it with reaction wheels to keep it from falling over while unbalanced? That is, after, essentially what human bodies do. :)

On 6/3/2019 at 11:17 PM, Shadow dream said:

Edit: Update

Stacking a second rotor in did help with the thrust. However I somehow lost the ability to use Auto Strut (Parking Mode won't work anymore), but it does not seem to cripple performance much - just glitching here and there.

In a testflight I almost reached the Island Runway, unfortunately I miscalculated the EC requirement and went for a swim instead.

Reveal hidden contents

Bism1BW.png

Continuous RW use for leveling flight drained the batteries faster than expected. I added a fifth big fuel cell and changed the AoA on the wings to reduce RW use. She's still a B**ch to fly, so check your chutes before flight!

For those still interested: I just updated my craft to improve stability during flight. My last iteration was ok, but had a high tendency to spin especialy during transition. Also her center of thrust was off, as I noticed.

From what I can tell she does better now and is smooth to land. Also I have updated the Hotkeys due to unnecessary "redundancy" of torque and rpm setting. RPM is now always maxed, axis 1 controls torque. axis 4 is gone.

If you have downloaded my Osprey, please concider the update.

4 hours ago, Shadow dream said:

For those still interested: I just updated my craft to improve stability during flight. My last iteration was ok, but had a high tendency to spin especialy during transition. Also her center of thrust was off, as I noticed.

From what I can tell she does better now and is smooth to land. Also I have updated the Hotkeys due to unnecessary "redundancy" of torque and rpm setting. RPM is now always maxed, axis 1 controls torque. axis 4 is gone.

If you have downloaded my Osprey, please concider the update.

Is it Stock or Vanilla?

Trying to make a nice giant spider mech, and it's going... fine... yes, perfectly fine. Has not exploded or anything.

ZDdCgF5.png

I might want to change up the hinges, they're the cause of most of the problems. I've heard servos are a bit stronger.

Edited by RocketSquid

Trying to make a dimensional Anchor, to hang above the KSC. Six K-Drives placed to cancel out.

It works... briefly. Game crashes after a few seconds though. Might try inserting a kerbal into the core to see what happens....

8OZfKNa.png

Probs need a more stable K-Drive design. This one is pretty glitchy.

Edited by Frozen_Heart

38 minutes ago, Frozen_Heart said:

Probs need a more stable K-Drive design. This one is pretty glitchy

Try something with robotic parts if you have the dlc

On 6/10/2019 at 5:22 AM, Shadow dream said:

She uses the breaking ground DLC, appart from that she is stock

Nice. Vanilla is base game. Stock is with expansions (I think)

22 minutes ago, Frozen_Heart said:

The pistons seem immune to K-Drive shenanigans.

I've never built a K-Drive, but I know that if you push two docking ports together with a piston and then retract it, they stay docked, even though the moving port returns to its original position. Perhaps this is useful?

(It's also a great technique for keeping a structure under tension or compression.)

5 hours ago, Frozen_Heart said:

Not had any luck making the robotic parts work on it sadly. The pistons seem immune to K-Drive shenanigans.

Oh that's a shame, one of the reasons I bought the dlc for kraken summoning. ):

13 hours ago, lapis said:

Oh that's a shame, one of the reasons I bought the dlc for kraken summoning. ):

The parts have potential.

My next idea involves landing wheels, pistons, and struts...

Edited by Frozen_Heart

It's a rough prototype, but I've just invented the variable thrust K-Drive!

I can adjust its power using a piston, rather than the simple on/off function of earlier models.

I'm still looking for the holy grail of K-Drives; a working version which is a single craft, rather than decoupling. The issue is that parts on the same craft will phase through each other, rather than interacting. Strusts are the exception, but I've not managed to make them connect to wheels.

XBZwJLG.png

Edited by Frozen_Heart

7 hours ago, Frozen_Heart said:

It's a rough prototype, but I've just invented the variable thrust K-Drive!

I can adjust its power using a piston, rather than the simple on/off function of earlier models.

I'm still looking for the holy grail of K-Drives; a working version which is a single craft, rather than decoupling. The issue is that parts on the same craft will phase through each other, rather than interacting. Strusts are the exception, but I've not managed to make them connect to wheels.

XBZwJLG.png

Sorry Frozen_heart -  variable and redockable krakendrives already exists since at least 1 year ;) - feel free to use any idea from there to improve yours :) more krakendrives is fun :P

just a word of caution though - the wheel stress seems to increase more and more the farther away you get from the center of the SOI (until the wheels break)

Edited by sgt_flyer

1 hour ago, sgt_flyer said:

Sorry Frozen_heart -  variable and redockable krakendrives already exists since at least 1 year ;) - feel free to use any idea from there to improve yours :) more krakendrives is fun :P

just a word of caution though - the wheel stress seems to increase more and more the farther away you get from the center of the SOI (until the wheels break)

Nooo thought I was on to something there lol.

Ah well the ones a year ago didn't have pistons though, which makes things really smooth. Still going to keep trying to make one a single craft though, as all the current ones have to be undocked to use, even if they can redock later.

SPACE DOCK AZIMUTH
Update: 6.13.19

I can't believe how long it's been! I'm knocking the dust off of this project and making more attempts to get it complete again. I've been struggling with the Panels that I am using for the Bay. These are very difficult to Launch and put in orbit because I want them to be free of any structures or struts at the lower end as seen in the Hangar here.

My recent changes are the reduction of lights on the panels in the Docking Bay, this is helping with my computer lagging. Also I am using the Large Docking Ports instead of the smaller ones. This required putting this Box in Orbit again.....very difficult!

Qhn92N5.png 

Another difficult challenge is getting these sections to dock nice and even. Here I managed to get one Bay Section attached and it's not perfectly even but still looks nice for now. I may incorporate a Large Reaction Wheel on each end and attempt to undock and align them, that's the plan for now but we know how that could go.

Docking this takes extreme patience, the panels flap around like a sheet of paper in the wind. I hope to have video of this when the Space Dock is completed. As I've said before this is a very long term project.

These struts on the rear of the Spacecraft SpaceTech were part of the structure used to get this section in to Orbit, I forgot to add decouplers to release it. This caused maneuvering issues like you would not believe! but the determination was there to get this done. As I make trips to the Dock I learn what is needed, what is not and what not to do.

1QcKebG.png

More Photos

Spoiler

5NalGVt.png

mYyvFNl.png

IIixiuf.png

Edited by Castille7