Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

I tried to make a little tour with my Osprey. Due to the lack of space capabilities I simply used Alt+F12 and added small engines for deorbiting. My first target was Eve (atmosphere duh). So while yes, I had to "compensate" for some design deficiencies, making her survive the flight, I think this flight was a giant leap for Man... Kerbalkind! But then ... well see for yourselves:

Spoiler

Reentry on Eve Atmosphere. Standard procedure...

PHqmvIe.png

Detaching De-Orbiting Engines. Thick atmosphere slows highly aerodynamic craft down exceptionaly fast.

YIfNV0x.png

Spooling up engines!

oKWTspu.png

It works! She is stable and hovering on own power! (Don't let the F12 Menu fool you, she has the fuel cells to run on her own)

ErE41WL.png

After some minor inconveniences due to aerodynamic forces, I decided to abort the mission. No biggie really...

mX4K949.png

I officialy request the F12 menu to not count as cheating anymore. It does not work, so who cares!?

Edit:

Spoiler

There she comes!

G4krTEc.png

And she made it!

avhu406.png

Now F5 and turn off F12..... starting the engines....

9vWCgZE.png

and she flies! Success!

tB4N94G.png

Edited by Shadow dream

On 6/13/2019 at 7:53 AM, Frozen_Heart said:

It's a rough prototype, but I've just invented the variable thrust K-Drive!

I thought the same thing when I did the blimp.  Lots of parallel inventing happening.  I'm glad you shared your excitement with us.  GL on the single-craft drive, let us know.

Here was one of my modules from the blimp.  You can kinda see the lower elevons down there used for the variability so ASDW and SAS function.

PiC3vQZ.png

Ahhh yes, same ol krakentech still works perfect in 1.7.1.  Feels good.

t0q3zfi.png

(sorry, not a WIP, just using this, uh, relevent discussion to sell blimps.  Livery not included).

8 hours ago, klond said:

I thought the same thing when I did the blimp.  Lots of parallel inventing happening.  I'm glad you shared your excitement with us.  GL on the single-craft drive, let us know.

Here was one of my modules from the blimp.  You can kinda see the lower elevons down there used for the variability so ASDW and SAS function.

Ahhh yes, same ol krakentech still works perfect in 1.7.1.  Feels good.

(sorry, not a WIP, just using this, uh, relevent discussion to sell blimps.  Livery not included).

Omg hadn't thought of using it for an airship! That's awesome! :)

Do you need to decouple your design before use? Or is it a single craft? I've not seen a single craft K-Drive in years. :(

After a long time away from KSP, finally picked up a project for a serious amount of time.

Flyback booster like on the proposed Energia 2. Sorta. Has two foldout wings for hopefully a runway landing. Dunno why felt like it.

Early prototype testing.

9isnNfu.png

Why not use the new Breaking Ground stuff? Cause I'm a sadist. And dont have it. And too lazy to upgrade past 1.3

So to make the bearing, its a landing gear in a bunch of thermometers. Also have a counterweight for each wing (ore tank and reaction wheel, plus a clipped in battery) to help reduce the stress on the actual bearing.

pQ1nhrs.png

Adding some skinning. Its much further along now, but the game crashed and I dont have pics.

V2SgCAk.png

Landed.

Still have a ways to go. Need to add more fuel capacity, finish the skin for it, and mess with stability. Currently, its unstable going up after too much fuel has drained. If it isn't, when the wings are folded back the craft is too stable to actually maneuver.

Edit: More skinning, Somewhat nicer to fly now.

p36qF7o.png

5dbcYcS.png

Edited by qzgy

Starting to work on my stock Stratolaunch replica again, the individual fuselage is now complete and stands at 744 parts. Considering that this doesn't include the second fuselage, wings, or engines. The part count on this will be among the highest of my aircraft replicas.
9uRQwXx.jpg
xkniT5y.jpg

This:

c6vvTZn.png

A giant catapult thingy: I call it the "Bridge" its  usage (probable) is to launch small-ish payloads on Minmus. However  never been I've tested because:

-It weighs 250 tons

-It kinda splits in half like this, when you turn it around:

Sdnww6r.png

I would appreciate any help with managing to stop this happening

I'm probably going to standardize this on the center 7.5m diameter instead of the 5.0m ends.

The goal is to refuel a separate Eve SSTO lander, lift it to 20km and launch it. I'm going to use FMRS to preserve both craft.

I debated carrying the lander inside by docking with it and having it phase through the shell, but keeping it underslung will work just fine.

I'm going to rebuild those tilt-rotors to be simpler and more powerful.

VAOSikp.png

An earlier version that got to the Island Airfield.

MndSn74.png

Kerbin Mini Military

This is the first of a few Mini Military Craft I plan to have in a Video at a later date. I have a few Craft built, to name a few, BattleShip, P38, Mitchell & an Aircraft Carrier.

Mini Bomber
(Bombs Destroy Nothing :blush:)

5j1sDwq.png?1

54 minutes ago, Castille7 said:

Kerbin Mini Military

This is the first of a few Mini Military Craft I plan to have in a Video at a later date. I have a few Craft built, to name a few, BattleShip, P38, Mitchell & an Aircraft Carrier.

Mini Bomber
(Bombs Destroy Nothing :blush:)

Sounds pretty similar to a project I did a while back. Maybe it's time for a proper series?

VPSUvIc.png

I built a F-14, an A-10, as well as the F-15 and F-16, but I only ever released the first two (including, in the updated version of the Tomcat, what is likely the smallest set of functioning swing wings ever) 

I also made a KerbalX hangar for craft just like these: https://kerbalx.com/hangars/46419

On 6/19/2019 at 8:58 PM, Kronus_Aerospace said:

Starting to work on my stock Stratolaunch replica again, the individual fuselage is now complete and stands at 744 parts. Considering that this doesn't include the second fuselage, wings, or engines. The part count on this will be among the highest of my aircraft replicas.
9uRQwXx.jpg
xkniT5y.jpg

Have seen many, very few capture the correct lines of the fuselage, this is looking great.............................

Edited by Kerbalwerks

23 hours ago, Servo said:

Sounds pretty similar to a project I did a while back. Maybe it's time for a proper series?

VPSUvIc.png

I built a F-14, an A-10, as well as the F-15 and F-16, but I only ever released the first two (including, in the updated version of the Tomcat, what is likely the smallest set of functioning swing wings ever) 

I also made a KerbalX hangar for craft just like these: https://kerbalx.com/hangars/46419

Your craft builds look very proper to me! Also I've noticed some of my Mini Craft in that Hangar :cool:

(including, in the updated version of the Tomcat, what is likely the smallest set of functioning swing wings ever) 
Wow, I must have missed this in the OP! Amazing that these wings swing.

Edited by Castille7

On 6/17/2019 at 12:41 AM, Frozen_Heart said:

Omg hadn't thought of using it for an airship! That's awesome! :)

Do you need to decouple your design before use? Or is it a single craft? I've not seen a single craft K-Drive in years. :(

Thanks.  It's on the ole kerbalx if you wanna take it apart.

I used 4 k-drives (thanks @erasmusguy) so ya it's 5 different craft.  One big one right on the center of mass that pivots so it stays straight up-and-down (with Radial Out).  That's really the kicker - so it can nose-up without moving backwards.  2 more, just in front and back of that to change buoyancy and pitch, and the last one I had to put SIDEWAYS in the tail for turning/steering cuz no sane amount of SAS was gonna turn this lead zeppelin.

Currently torturing my computer :p

1804 parts 476 tons (the shuttle has been emptied - at close to the shuttle weight with loaded SRB's as payload on the crawler, the runway sometimes broke...)

stock (MH + Breaking Ground)

qaeizXn.png

note : the crawler tracks are not yet decoupled in this picture :p

i think i might try to make a video, but not much more ^^. was fun designing this monster, but the current crawler at 1200 parts is a slideshow in operation :p

edit :

after a good 20 minutes, i made it to the runway's slope (in game time - 1.30 minutes...) but i can keep the platform levelled with the runway :)

eLKFFBk.png

Edited by sgt_flyer
time edit

On 6/20/2019 at 10:07 AM, Munbro Kerman said:

Can anyone guess this plane?

Wing isn't completely finished yet, as you can see. Not sure what to think of them, not as clean as I would like and I still need to add flaps, spoilers, and ailerons. Thoughts?

Was wondering what is powering the rotors air or electrics?

Kerbin Mini Military
Update: 6.23.19

Planning to Spam this Thread a little with this Series :D. This is the Second Craft of a few Mini Military Craft that I plan to have in a Video at a later date. This Craft available on Kerbalx.

Mini A-10 Warthog

ON3rkMa.png

In Bomber Formation
(Here you can find this Formation)
Version 1.7.2

AG 4 opens the Bomb Bay Door on the B-52 AG 5 will release the Bombs. AG 6 will release all the A-10 Payloads. So press 4 then 5&6 at the same time to make a full drop. AG 7,8,9 & 0 for A-10 to drop doubles at a time.

mhp8Emq.png

More Photos

Spoiler

36Ge1U6.png
mhp8Emq.png
SQiM3x3.png
DwtqOsE.png
tchQgLS.png
vvmrBS8.png
ON3rkMa.png
OLQqOAT.png
pUxBgcr.png
ebWi55Y.png
6K0lyJB.png

Edited by Castille7

6 hours ago, Castille7 said:

Kerbin Mini Military
Update: 6.23.19

Planning to Spam this Thread a little with this Series :D. This is the Second Craft of a few Mini Military Craft that I plan to have in a Video at a later date. This Craft available on Kerbalx.

Mini A-10 Warthog

ON3rkMa.png

In Bomber Formation
(Here you can find this Formation)
Version 1.7.2

AG 4 opens the Bomb Bay Door on the B-52 AG 5 will release the Bombs. AG 6 will release all the A-10 Payloads. So press 4 then 5&6 at the same time to make a full drop. AG 7,8,9 & 0 for A-10 to drop doubles at a time.

mhp8Emq.png

More Photos

Reveal hidden contents

36Ge1U6.png
mhp8Emq.png
SQiM3x3.png
DwtqOsE.png
tchQgLS.png
vvmrBS8.png
ON3rkMa.png
OLQqOAT.png
pUxBgcr.png
ebWi55Y.png
6K0lyJB.png

Did you use infinite clipping for the formation?

1 hour ago, lapis said:

Did you use infinite clipping for the formation?

First I make the entire Craft a Sub Assembly (The A-10) and I change the root part to whatever part works to stick it to another Craft, in this case the Lead Craft. Then I spread the Craft apart with the Move Tool. (Hope this makes sense?) 

Edited by Castille7