Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

5y845J2.png

A project from before the ARIA is nearing completion. I've been working up the courage to revisit the F-4 for a long time, and have just recently figured that I could do those intakes justice.

HSXirxc.png

A good shot of probably my favorite part of the build - the after-fuselage between the engines. This bit required a good bit of ingenuity to figure out how to get the shape right - using structural panels like on my Voodoos didn't work, so I had to get creative.

7Mc34J2.png

And it wouldn't be a Phantom if it wasn't an utter flying brick. Here it is flying somewhat happily on one wing. If it had another set of landing gear, I'm confident that I could have landed it like this.

Kerbin Mini Military
Update: 7.30.19

Soon these 3 Craft (See all 3 in the last photo) will be available on Kerbalx and The Space Craft Exchange Thread.

Mini P38 Lightning

0Oc8Gwo.png

TAqO1AC.png

See more Photos here

Spoiler

euNsxzT.png

Ok I got a little carried away with these Formation Shots..... They were looking so cool I thought you might like them also

A8QbJiI.png

jIFWTKw.png

XwTjvx1.png

UMsrNtD.png

FmyJvyc.png

oqEJzxV.png

KgZq7YU.png

Edited by Castille7

On 7/30/2019 at 10:06 PM, Castille7 said:

KgZq7YU.png

ooo pwetty. Though now its a little tempting to make a slightly more scale carrier for some mini warbirds.

I’ve been working on some new smaller planes recently.

screenshot3.png

This is the F-82A Block 30, effectively a single engine F-77 with slightly thinner wings and more economical at 10k cheaper.

screenshot4.png

Here’s a side by side comparison between them, with the F-82A on the left.

screenshot8.png

I’ve also thrown this together, which will probably be worked on more in future.

Edited by MiffedStarfish

7 hours ago, qzgy said:

ooo pwetty. Though now its a little tempting to make a slightly more scale carrier for some mini warbirds.

Well since you brought it up, I built two Mini Mitchell craft back in February 2017 and haven't worked on it since then. The first of the two craft was an idea that was inspired by the Mini SR71 in the B-24. The Second was built to reenact the Famous Mission done with the USS Hornet. 

12knrfA.png

gcpX4fo.png

13 hours ago, Castille7 said:

Well since you brought it up, I built two Mini Mitchell craft back in February 2017 and haven't worked on it since then. The first of the two craft was an idea that was inspired by the Mini SR71 in the B-24. The Second was built to reenact the Famous Mission done with the USS Hornet. 

12knrfA.png

gcpX4fo.png

i love it. i love it so much

in other news, stock mechanics, i have made a transmission.

dz16B3G.png

zYCSGeC.png

A (hopefully) final detailing pass on the Phantom. Added cockpit frames, rearview mirror, splitter plate support posts, antennae, squared off the vertical stab, fixed the slats, added action groups, and a bunch of other small changes.

cWxyQ7Q.png

All that leads up to here. This isn't my best craft yet (that honor still lies with my F/A-18), but it's finally at a level that I feel comfortable releasing it soon. There's just so many small problems that I have with this design that won't be fixed short of a total rebuild. Lines aren't as clean as I would like, colors shift awkwardly, and dimensional accuracy is sacrificed in order to get the proportions right.

10 hours ago, Servo said:

A (hopefully) final detailing pass on the Phantom. Added cockpit frames, rearview mirror, splitter plate support posts, antennae, squared off the vertical stab, fixed the slats, added action groups, and a bunch of other small changes.

All that leads up to here. This isn't my best craft yet (that honor still lies with my F/A-18), but it's finally at a level that I feel comfortable releasing it soon. There's just so many small problems that I have with this design that won't be fixed short of a total rebuild. Lines aren't as clean as I would like, colors shift awkwardly, and dimensional accuracy is sacrificed in order to get the proportions right.

Looks beautiful! Even the small details are done well, and I especially like how you pulled off that bubble canopy. 

Also, wow, the news about propellers got me hyped for five minutes until I found that it was part of the expansion. Now I'm getting tempted to shell cash out for the expansion pack so much.

I might as well share some of what I've worked on; A larger, more true-to-scale replica of the Airbus A350-900.

YHljc8P.png

eO9B0Dg.png

I don't know if it's because of recent updates, but the structural integrity of Mk3 parts (or KSP structures in general) seem to be much better than they used to be, enough to make building this kind of replica a breeze in terms of structural issues. 

I know the winglets look messy; I've been meaning to replace them with a cleaner arrangement, but it's difficult to conform to the shape of the real life A350's sharklets and replicate them with wing parts.

Edited by Columbia

My next replica is well in the works, this time I'm tackling the dinkiest variant of the 747, the Sutter's Balloon (AKA the 747SP). A mere 56.4 meters in length with a 59.7 meter wingspan, this oddball of an aircraft is turning out to be mountains of fun to build!

KOpnde4.png

I'm pulling out all the stops for this one and am proceeding with the goal of making it as accurate as I possibly can, part count be damned! My building style typically involves keeping the part count on the fuselage as low as possible, however this craft's now complete fuselage boasts 178 parts and 9 fairings by itself.

jqgQdQm.jpg

To go along with this I will be using replicas of the Sutter's Balloon's PW JT9D Turbofan engines to power it. True to form they boast a high partcount of 171 parts each.

coImfug.jpg

oov6SgD.jpg

All in all, this project is a monster, but I'm more excited than ever to work on it! Without a doubt this will be by far my best craft once completed.

Edited by Kronus_Aerospace

1 hour ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

My building style typically involves keeping the part count on the fuselage as low as possible, however this craft's now complete fuselage boasts 178 parts and 9 fairings by itself.

I still have yet to figure out the witchcraft of fairing fuselages, but this one is looking quite interesting. A really short 747 (which I guess it is)