Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Here's my third idea for a Laythe lander. The ascent test was a success

• I fired up the jets for the initial phase, then activated the rocket to establish a 210 km parking orbit around Kerbin. With all the delta-V left, I should have more than enough for a rendezvous with a return ship

Vo3SX1d.jpg

There are a still few questions left unanswered, like:

1. How am I going to get it to Laythe?
    1. And land it where I want it to.
  2. What will be the return vehicle?
    1. Will I launch it separately, or attach it to this craft and go Apollo-Style?

What do you think?

6 hours ago, Mars-Bound Hokie said:

What do you think?

Can I ask why not a more plane like design? If you're on Laythe sstos are much more forgiving, or staged aircraft designs are also an option. 

Plus it makes landing site selection easier. 

As for getting them back that's sortof up to you. Both things work but with the Apollo style you have to worry about rendezvous. 

28 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Can I ask why not a more plane like design?

I suck at SSTOs.

• Sure, I can build aircraft and spacecraft, but I can't really combine the two.
    • The only time in my career save I managed to get an SSTO into Kerbin orbit was out of luck. Even if I stop at the Minmus flatlands to refuel, I don't know if I'll have the delta-V to make the trip to Laythe safely.

8uEMyjM.jpg

• Picture of my SSTO orbiting the Mun. Most launches end up with either wobbling or blowing up during the ascent
    • And MJ ascent guidance is useless.

No matter. After watching someone else do it on an earlier build, I decided to use a conventional lander approach while taking advantage of Laythe's usable atmosphere. Sure, my current design doesn't come with a car - but my scientist can either deal with it or I can send a car in a separate launch. 

ZRTdnZA.png

g5NdgU8.png

UzPfrG5.png

Stock HL-10. Flies like a pig, yawing all over the place, tendency to go into an uncontrollable roll, glideslope of a brick. All in all, similar flight characteristics to a real lifting body.

@Kronus_Aerospace Be sure to back up your craft files with a partcount of that size

Edited by Yukon0009

37 minutes ago, Yukon0009 said:

ZRTdnZA.png

g5NdgU8.png

UzPfrG5.png

Stock HL-10. Flies like a pig, yawing all over the place, tendency to go into an uncontrollable roll, glideslope of a brick. All in all, similar flight characteristics to a real lifting body.

@Kronus_Aerospace Be sure to back up your craft files with a partcount of that size

That looks amazing! That's the best-looking lifting body out there by a mile. Plus, it's good to hear that it doesn't fly too well...

CHGWjtm.png

I've been building a fictional WWII+ Era ground attack aircraft for @HolidayTheLeek and @Xen0m3's AU in which WWII never really ends, leading to all sorts of lovely Dieselpunk-style planes. This is the North American A-59 Tornado, a ground-attack figher-bomber based on Curtis's work on the XP-55 Ascender. 

uwHTGcE.png

I'm also experimenting with KS3P's lovely image effects, if you couldn't tell.

3gYcIVZ.png

A secondary project, spurred by the same AU is this lovely plane - a super-BF-109, but I may wind up just making a normal -109 as well, while I'm at it.

TzBozz3.png

After finishing the Ki-87, I decided that it needed something to hunt for.

Well, here's the Superfortress. It's got custom landing gear, working, spacious bomb bays and nice propeller engine replicas. I still need to do the cockpit which will probably take some time but it actually flies!

On 8/7/2019 at 7:21 PM, Servo said:

A secondary project, spurred by the same AU is this lovely plane - a super-BF-109, but I may wind up just making a normal -109 as well, while I'm at it.

By super I assume you mean a K4   ;)

On 8/11/2019 at 5:45 PM, Yaeah said:

Ended up using a Big-S elevon for the tail plane, thanks bro 

f2qn9Nu.png?1

Beautiful!!

5 hours ago, Yukon0009 said:

bGooS8s.png

YOl8LEE.png

Tgpg1yE.png

I just realized that stock props are seriously fun to play around with. 

Can't get it above 35 m/s, but it's incredibly maneuverable and a total delight to fly (except land, it flips every time)

Always good to have more builders, especially small engine builders, they're my favorite to run because they're so simple and you can see the prop in most cases