Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

1 hour ago, Mr. Peabody said:

Your efforts to deceive us are futile. We know there's a middle bench seat in there somewhere.

That is only on the deluxe version. :lol:

Working on the back, still needs lights.

1iSG57f.png

BTC8Clk.png

It looks a lot smoother with some paint on it. &)

8BqWbbP.png

I also need to do the front and the dashboard...

The build of the car is ready, next up is mostly tuning and beautification, if that is a word.

The front, simple and clean, I will make a VW decal emblem for it.

evCFhjE.png

The back, again, simple.

7rInhj9.png

Changed the trunk space, gastank nicely tucked away underneath.

JFvFHX4.png

The dashboard, the dails will get some decals later.

18p6E8B.png

Enginebay, simple engine, single 400 battery and 1 fuelcell.

1GPamSk.png

As soon as the car is finished I'm going to rip out the engine and backseats and turn it into a rally car. :cool:

Edited by Triop

Update:

ZiYpzUJ.png

TPtFycx.png

zGTWfn7.png

The camo mod is great to get rid off all the lines. &)

I do need to sort out the windows, those lines need to go . . . :unsure:

The windows are the only modded parts, the rest is stock + tweakscale.

Edited by Triop

3kHEvlo.png

Work on my new swing wing design continues. Designed a functional actuation system, then realized that this setup is entirely too small to be used on the craft I had in mind (a F-111 Aardvark), so with the concept proven, it was time to return to the drawing board.

8v1g09U.png

This utter chaotic mess is my process for getting the wing shape and size correct, which was a remarkably tedious process, and one that I'm glad is over now. The I-beams mark the swept and unswept width of the wing, as well as the angles of the leading edge in either configuration. The structural panels are used as a measuring stick to get the position of the hinge and the peak of the wing glove in the right position. Lastly, the basic fins are the perfect part for forming wing gloves (they are offset so that I can access the RCS ball which is the rotation point), since they're a third the width of a wing panel. 

Now that the wing shape is correct and the angles are all good, the next step is to add the actuation mechanism back on and stress-test it to ensure that this design is up to the same standards as my other swing wings.

Converting the Golf into a sports model.

Bigger wheels and fenders, removed the back seats. Spoiler, doorhandles and mirrors are a new addition.

WDF48Bj.png

The new grip pads make great speakers, 1 in each door:

KXim1VB.png

And some big woofers in the back: :cool:

VqoaroV.png

EDIT:

I made a VW logo using some small wings and a small air intake.

3uNQEGE.png

ZUHTzJt.png

Edited by Triop

The VW Golf is done, so we move on to our next project.

The cage is pre-fabricated, that will speed up things. &)

nRj1ZW8.png

Starting with the body:

o2ZJYX6.png

Some copy and paste:

IN59mcw.png

Adding chassis and testing the doors:

XlyvRKb.png

Trunk lid, can't open (yet):

gZPqzA8.png

TBC

Edited by Triop

Update:

More bodywork.

First time I made a full door, this took a lot of time, and since the left and right door are seperate moving parts I had twice the work.... ^_^

Qw4mAik.png

YxVdLym.png

GwMklpp.png

Lot's of paint options on this one. :cool:

1JIDhMu.png

TBC

Edited by Triop

xFO7v2N.png

Completed the L3 lunar complex and mounted it to the top of the N1. Fully assembled the rocket sits at over 1300 parts and lags considerably on the launchpad. I've also run into a strange bug that appears after reverting to launch/vab. After reverting and relaunching the first stage breaks up during staging causing the entire rocket to explode. It's a good excuse to test the launch escape system, but it seems I'm limited to 1 good flight before having to restart KSP. It's not terrible but it does make testing a bit tedious.

y5nsEYc.png

On the bright side the lag clears up after shedding stage 3. From this point onward things tend to go smoothly for both the game and the L3. 

ilRfmN9.png

Block G propels the complex into a translunar tranjectory. I couldn't find precise information on the layout of Block G so this rendition was the result of a bit of guesswork. I don't know if the main engine could gimbal so for attitude control I've added RCS thusters at the base.

3RJUYyT.png

The Soyuz 7K LOK orbiter separates from the stack. Here It'll stay in a 100km x 15km orbit while the LK descends to the surface. 

aMPhopR.png

LK landed, awaiting ascent.

rzHTKq6.png

The LK's matches the LOK's orbit with just 50m/s to spare. The final approach and docking is performed by the LOK.

pUMVyIt.png

The habitation and engine modules split off from the descent module before reentry. 

At this stage the N1 is basically complete save for some minor detail work. I was planning on upgrading it to look more like the N1F since that was the version which would've made the Moon landing in reality. However my redesigned N1F stages produce incredible amounts of drag and I can't figure out why. While this version isn't totally accurate I think I'll have to release it in this form.

Edited by tehmattguy

Currently working on a XB-68 replica, a defunct mach 2 capable supersonic bomber that was superseded by the B-58. The wings and engines+intakes are complete with the fuselage being half finished. The craft is currently sitting at 414 parts and a hefty 38 tonnes.
DOhqilO.png
55PnkeS.jpg
Njfn0C7.png

Edit: Also Built the cockpit, regular mark1 cockpit for scale.

6UMlasN.jpg

HPdF3Jn.jpg

Edited by Kronus_Aerospace

On 11/22/2019 at 6:12 PM, Kronus_Aerospace said:

Edit: Also Built the cockpit, regular mark1 cockpit for scale.

That is a gourgeous cockpit. Also interesting use of the radiators there to form straight struts.

On 11/22/2019 at 6:34 AM, Phantomic said:

IdWw1wi.png

Mmmmmmmmuscley challenger

ravishingly beautiful &)

Starting a new project, trying to build a classic Mini Cooper.

xoizw3Q.png

wCeW3Zs.png

LXsmS7N.png

xFUhiAz.png

At the moment it looks more like a Trabant... :lol:

I'm thinking about restarting and make this a 4 seater.

Edited by Triop

Restarting the Mini project, made a small 4 person chassis.

Test fitting:

CnFt6XAl.png

WWSts7Dl.png

LX6SHpBl.png

Mini...Small on the inside, big on the outside.

Next up, give it some wheels and then the hardest part, creating the body...

Edited by Triop

Update: Firewall, wheels, engine (yeah, yeah, it's just a battery... :lol:), door and hood hinges installed.

MYYYCpL.png

Scale comparison: *not my 707 (I wish...),     find it on kerbalX           * I actualy landed this plane succesfully

DCujj7C.png

'I CAN DO DONUTS ON THIS THING !' :lol:

uhmRp0h.png

Edited by Triop