Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

18 hours ago, Triop said:

All these Aardvarks remind me of my childhood, I used to get a dozen of these on my birthdays...

3oub4cS.jpg

I really hate it. :lol:

I guess they didn't sell well, so my aunts and uncles picked it up... :unsure:

I mean I wanted Eagles, Falcons, Hornets, Tomcats, not a squadron of Aardvarks. :wacko:

One time I got an F4 Phantom, which was sorta cool but not my favorite. Another time I got this weird space shuttle that also transformed into a rover or something. I tried to put it together anyway but the parts didn't fit well and I got frustrated with it.

Big improvements have been made to both the suspension and steering mechanism. For a 100 ton vehicle it moves around pretty well! Maybe one of the biggest full stock rovers in ksp?

15EAFDCA6BF5842516CDD9722E7C4B411AAF2E4C

BD4B5DCEEB530782492DE711094911C6C5F2CEEE

50918AE4966345D162AD82F220284EC85FD0FD80

C81B3D4CD46B32F825218D14119F4CD30772BD9D

Based on a real vehicle:

Image result for belaz truck"

Edited by Jon144

On 12/1/2019 at 7:31 PM, sturmhauke said:

One time I got an F4 Phantom, which was sorta cool but not my favorite. Another time I got this weird space shuttle that also transformed into a rover or something. I tried to put it together anyway but the parts didn't fit well and I got frustrated with it.

Top Gun was the reason for me to start building models, but I only liked the small stuff (less parts, faster build).

My pride and joy was a small aircraft Enterprice carrier with little Tomcats, and other planes, man I played so much with that little thing. ^_^

23 hours ago, Jon144 said:

Big improvements have been made to both the suspension and steering mechanism. For a 100 ton vehicle it moves around pretty well! Maybe one of the biggest full stock rovers in ksp?

What a beast ! :o

More stuff I liked as a kid and never had:

The RC Tamiya Grasshopper.

LoNBIucl.jpg

So why not making a replica in KSP ? &)

m58kPRvl.png

0f8D4Gjl.png

I like the build so far, I also have found the decals:

RhU3eEZl.jpg

It will be a lot of work cutting these out and turn them into NEBULA decals.

55k0PePl.jpg

OdPy49cl.png

Edited by Triop

15 hours ago, Triop said:

More stuff I liked as a kid and never had:

The RC Tamiya Grasshopper.

LoNBIucl.jpg

So why not making a replica in KSP ? &)

OdPy49cl.png

Wow! Trip back memory lane! I had a grasshopper II as a kid. Terrible RC car (weak motor, only 2wd, no individual suspension on rear axle, no (oil) shock absorbers (only springs)), but man I loved that thing! :cool:

Really like your build so far!

Edited by Aerospike

Done all the decals, not happy with the stripes, I'm going to redo those.

55k0PeP.jpg

l2LM3ft.png

B4vUQNY.png

t4q3fu6.png

I'm not going to paint this model, I think it looks great as is.

I did a testdrive, (wheels configs are changed) topspeed 44 m/s. :cool:

I guess this is going to be my car for the Kerbal Dakar. ^_^

Edited by Triop

SECTOR 7 SPACE LABORATORIES
Update: 12-3-19
MUN AND BACK MK3-1 S7

This somewhat Apollo Style Craft will get you to the Mun and Back to Kerbin (Lander only showing here). This is my first of it's kind that I build and soon to release. After a few years of playing KSP I can't believe it's been this long before having a chance to do this. After lots of build changes, lots of testing and also brought back from the back burners after months I am nearing completion. A few more test and filming to be done. This craft may also come with scanning abilities, that's still up in the air at the moment.

qa4el1F.png

Spoiler

OnSyZBt.png

rNqeVZw.png

Bp9PkSw.png

Progress! @HB Stratos put some lovely KLAW stabilators which are much better than the poor elevator I had on it at first - they're independently hinged for pitch and roll control, and nigh-indestructible, and look great too. My part of the project is going well - visuals are there, but the wings are much less consistent than I hoped going into this project. I may have to pivot to end-on hinges, which would be a downgrade in space, but gurantee that it docks every time. Unfortunately, that would ruin any chance HB has of getting proper tanky wheels into this thing.

ApkVdrQ.png

True to form, the build doesn't rely on the DLC for functionality, losing a little in part count for gaining a lot in cool factor and wing stability.

1 hour ago, sturmhauke said:

Reminds me of my dad's old Fiero.

Cool car, mine is a bit too short for a Fiero, but the front looks very simular.

I've installed a engine and did some more body work and installed the seats.

2HJ3QT3.png

ji77qoS.png

srewDIu.png

WRzdW99.png

Y3PcPgn.png

Also trying some paintjobs.

AY2XfHe.png

Edited by Triop

Well, ive finally cracked the 10m/s mech walking barrier for 2 leggers!

wTplB0Q.png

It looks like trash, its based on super outdated leg design concept (essentially a version of the stock SAS bearing from back in the day before DLC), but it works flawlessly and is stupidly fast not to mention extremely heavy load bearing capabilities (ive tested this chassis with a grand total of 6 SRM-4M launchers and it could carry it albeit at lower speeds then the picture).  Biggest issue ive had was the lack of stability, pathetic speed, and overkill complexity of traditional legged walkers (ive learned quite fast that chikin walkers are useless, normal humanoid walkers are better, but still suffer from some aspect in operation).

7MYVQE5.png

This is another version of the same concept, very fast, and if i make the asthetics right i should even be able to make the legs appear like a chikin walker's legs (i know they are bad for reasons, but appearance wise chikin walker is way cooler then humanoid at least for me, always prefered starfighter cockpit on chikinwalker legs to humanoid styled).

So yeah, its far from viable yet, but i think this concept actually has some promise and i will see what sort of maximum weight i can load up on one of these things, maybee even make a heavy mech with it and not just a light/medium like i normally thought would be the limit...

Space Dock Azimuth
Update: 12.19.19

I visited this old project again and was able to get an adapter added to the Station. As somewhat simple as it may seem this took nearly 2 hours to dock this section. The reason for that amount of time is the lack of control. I have to add control to the loads that SpaceTech hauls to help with docking. In this case the controls were added but not working for some reason. I checked to be sure that fuel was getting to them but still no go. Another extremely hard task is the docking of the Adapter itself, the connection is very sensitive, with the slightest bump the craft bounce away from each other. I believe this is the two large amounts of weight hitting together at a very flimsy point of contact. I had to get the two touching then release the Adapter, back away from it and allow the magnetism to complete the docking.

BzBVWsD.png

rla4F1m.png

fMv7OKP.png

MbLyK5q.png

Edited by Castille7