Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

On 12/27/2019 at 12:12 AM, Mignear said:

Slight tweak to the wings. Still feels off though.

Might be that the vertical stabilizers are off - the trailing edge is straight vertical on the F-15, not swept back. Looking good everywhere else, though!

Just when I was on the verge of completing the F-111, the wings became much more unreliable. I think it has to do with the hinge mechanism, so I'm reworking it. Which of course, leads to reworking the docking actuation, and then to the moving bits. So I'm basically back on the drawing board. 

ITfhjiA.png

I was following a promising spur in the form of collision-hinges for pure-stock builds, but they're not consistent enough for swing wings, and the geometry just doesn't quite work, unfortunately. Someone else may find this idea useful, though. At the hinge point is a series of stacked separators or docking ports all offset into each other. They are the weakest joint in the game, so they act as a flexible attachment. From there, airbrakes force I-beams around, aided by the same-vessel-collision function added in 1.7 and rigid attachment. This works remarkably well on low-angle actuations, so I can see this having applications to stabilators. Unfortunately, the range of motion isn't quite good enough for swing wings quite yet.

ZFm2m4P.png

To take my mind off of those troubles, I've been distracting myself with a couple new projects. Hopefully, I can collect them all in time for New Year's Eve

LNIby9b.png

There's something satisfying in the simplicity of a 60 degree sweep delta wing.

0c3eAeF.png

The end goal is to replicate this three-year-old screenshot, but with all-new planes. I dropped this set on NYE 2016, so hopefully I'll make the mark for 2019

I haven't really built any replica craft in KSP, but recently I tried to build a ME 109A. It is still very much work in progress but the plane itself is getting there. I am working on a custom retract system for it.

http://IAnCE6W.png

http://pYm2uOK.png

http://hGKksAT.png

Edited by Jeb-head-mug kerman

After a break of about 5 months i got bored with Cities Skylines and went back to KSP since the wait for KSP2 is too long.. 

First I fired up a career mode but I got tired of grinding for science real fast so I went back to my old habbits of building space stations, 

I think this is a nice start for a new station:

e36wy5n.png

RJyJCmI.png

Kerbol Explorer One
Update: 01.04.2020

The Grand Plan is to have Kerbol Explorer One travel the Kerbol System with two Shuttles with the ability to land on most Planets and Moons and capable of refueling themselves. My testing is first being done on Minmus, next will be landing on the Mun. Not sure which Engine combos will work best, still lots of testing to be done and possible Craft design changes.

I'm not sure how my Shuttle Bays got flipped but I was still able to get them out for more testing. Many landing attempts proved to be very damaging....lol. I am testing the drills now on the Shuttles.

nMgQP1X.png

Fuel is very limited, here I ran out at the last seconds when landing.

5NxxQ7n.png

This is an example of how the Shuttle Bays should have been :blush:

64l8hIC.png

This is what it looked like with the launcher before a few design changes

yyE6CkF.png

A lot of progress to report here! @HB Stratos and I spent a lot of time today on this craft, and I finally have positive progress to report

ZlDMPb3.png

This is the most complex build I've ever made, and it comes as a collaboration between HB and myself - the General Dynamics F-111A Aardvark. We've been talking for years about doing a collab build, so it's great that we're actually doing it now. This craft is packed with stock mechanisms, including the swinging wings, custom landing gear, and all-moving stabilators that provide roll control too. The wings and stabilator utilize the BendyTech that HB and I have discovered and developed, using Same Vessel Interaction to bend the wings without the use of docking ports. More info here:

H5jbc9S.png?1

Over the course of a hours-long discord call, we were finally able to implement Bendy Tech in a reliable manner, with the biggest headache being the wings (turns out, forcing part of your craft to bend 60 degrees against its will is tough)

That's all not to mention the absolutely wonderful set of custom gear HB's built for this thing - it's a miracle that it fits, and it works great.

8IwGHGV.png

On 1/7/2020 at 10:24 PM, Servo said:

A lot of progress to report here! @HB Stratos and I spent a lot of time today on this craft, and I finally have positive progress to report

This is the most complex build I've ever made, and it comes as a collaboration between HB and myself - the General Dynamics F-111A Aardvark. We've been talking for years about doing a collab build, so it's great that we're actually doing it now. This craft is packed with stock mechanisms, including the swinging wings, custom landing gear, and all-moving stabilators that provide roll control too. The wings and stabilator utilize the BendyTech that HB and I have discovered and developed, using Same Vessel Interaction to bend the wings without the use of docking ports. More info here:

Over the course of a hours-long discord call, we were finally able to implement Bendy Tech in a reliable manner, with the biggest headache being the wings (turns out, forcing part of your craft to bend 60 degrees against its will is tough)

That's all not to mention the absolutely wonderful set of custom gear HB's built for this thing - it's a miracle that it fits, and it works great.

Great work! ...........also looks like a lot of Kraken pack into a small area, I can feel your frustrations.

Progress continues...

Fun fact: Since it's axles are spun using landing leg K-drives... It doesn't need an atmosphere to drive!

Unfortunately the Mun doesn't seem the best place to do this as the physics of low gravity are not fair on 100 ton vehicles...

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png?width=1248&height=702

unknown.png?width=1248&height=702

zhgExAl.png

More progress to report on here, I think. Thinking that the wings on this thing were in a somewhat reliable mistake, I decided to spend the time cleaning up the rear of the Aardvark to prepare it for release. Filled in the overwing section, the underside of the aft fuselage, and reworked the bit between the engines, plus the engines themselves. There was some progress made on the wings, but they're still too floppy and unreliable for full release. It's possible that better strutting would fix that, but that still ignores the problem with the engines popping their sockets, which is another problem in and of itself. But at least once those issues are solved the rest of the plane will be ready....

kY4CjBZ.png

As a diversionary project, I returned to a project that I hadn't touched in well over a year. I was trying to get the variable incidence wing to function with traditional stock hinges and docking ports, but the range of motion was just barely not there. Conveniently, this is a perfect use case for bendy-tech, since the 7 degree actuation is no problem for a system that doesn't have to dock back when it's done. Barring any major problems (fingers crossed) this will be a fairly quick project. In fact, I might even go for bendy-tech elevators just to spice things up while I'm at it.

Sometimes you get an idea of something that would be really cool, it would be part intensive, it would be difficult, but cool. The logical voice in your head tells you it's a bad idea, and you move on with a more reasonable solution.

I didn't do that...
KlFfilf.png

I thought to myself, what if I made a custom window for my 747sp that's the actual size and shape of the real windows? That'd be neat, but even after some optimization it was 8 parts total. With how many windows there are that'd be absurd... said the logical voice in my head.

Yeah screw that
mmvygb1.png

1120 parts... worth it

13 hours ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

I thought to myself, what if I made a custom window for my 747sp that's the actual size and shape of the real windows? That'd be neat, but even after some optimization it was 8 parts total. With how many windows there are that'd be absurd... said the logical voice in my head.

Yeah screw that

1120 parts... worth it

The fidelity just keeps getting higher on these craft!

3 hours ago, KestrelAerospace said:

The fidelity just keeps getting higher on these craft!

Thank you! And yes indeed that is the general trend, I think it's due to a mixture of the playerbase's skill building over time, and optimizations continuously being made to the game to allow for larger and larger craft.
A year ago when I built my Spruce Goose replica (which in total has less parts then this one does currently in it's WIP state) it was nearly unbearable as the game would freeze for literal minutes at a time constantly. Yet, working on this 747sp replica I only notice the slightest stuttering.

BTW that cargo plane? :D Fantastic!

Edited by Kronus_Aerospace