Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Working on a new cockpit design for either a mech, aircraft, vehicle (haven't decided yet maybe a multirole?) Anyway. this whole setup is only around 2 tons so not much weight added and you get a large cockpit and body. Room to grow and improve  this but I like the way this has come out so far. 

SatisfiedFewFlicker-size_restricted.gif

gvuziPT.png

XMBjCUt.png

Fe6Nq1Z.png

zpCk196.png

NNr5obG.png8K4o9Zt.png

YvzmyCw.png

6NxVzR4.png

After a mini-hiatus, I decided to take on a speedbuild in the two hours that I had tonight. After polling for U.S. planes that I haven't built (remarkably few of those left), someone suggested this monster and I just had to go for it: The Martin P6M Seamaster - a massive, 50's era nuclear-armed, jet powered, flying boat intended to be capable of striking from mobile submarine-supported forward outposts which would be difficult to detect and neutralize. The program was canceled after aircraft carriers got large enough and nuclear weapons small enough that jet aircraft based on carriers could fill the nuclear strike option for the US Navy. 

ru8Lfgh.png

I knew that I wouldn't finish it in time, but I'll pick it back up later this week hopefully. In all, this was a fun build, especially since the speedbuild format allows me to be looser with getting details right, which suits this plane because of its size and the relative lack of detailed blueprints. In part because of this, I could afford to be a bit more creative with part uses, and I lucked into a few useful techniques (particularly the Mk2 fuselages on the hull) that I wouldn't have found had I not been looser with my techniques.

I'm trying to find a more efficient way to launch spaceplanes. More specifically, I want another SSTO to carry the spaceplane itself to LKO and return to the KSC while the spaceplane goes on its way. 

• Call me contradictory if you may, but why should I use my own fuel (and oxidizer) when someone else can do it for me?
  • I won't have to stop at Minmus to refuel - and waste more fuel getting into orbit.
  • Besides, plane-carrying planes are cool.
    • A true "aircraft carrier."

rzd3ZCF.png

However, I've had my share of problems. They include, but are not limited to.

• Sliding on the runway despite the friction control being maxed out.
  • Having trouble achieving orbit.
    • I got into LKO once, but I cannot do it again.
  • (IN THE ONE SUCCESSFUL TEST RUN - I COULDN'T REPEAT IT) I lost control of the drop-plane during re-entry.

Can someone please help me with that? Below is the link to my craft file, if you want to try it out for yourself.

Thank you.

5 hours ago, Mars-Bound Hokie said:

Can someone please help me with that? 

Craft looks weird. Too many struts, to many reaction wheels. It's dead weight and drag. Why use rapiers, intakes and wings on a spaceplane? There is only one planet except Kerbin where you need them - Laythe. 1 rapier for that planet is enough. Seems like you are not using all engines while getting to orbit. And... Remember... "Bigger" does not mean "better". 

Edited by IkranMakto

Space Dock Azimuth
Update: 03.04.2020

When arriving with a bay section I was surprised to see damage, I thought that last game save was without any damages.

wZ0o3hx.png

Spoiler

ePRl1ud.png

I installed the Section here

XVlYEYx.png

As much work (fun :D) as it can be to make additional trips to the Space Dock I still decided to remove the damages and return with new sections.

In the pass I was having trouble launching with anything more then a section at a time. Knowing how much time it takes to make these trips (Hours) I decided to Engineer something so I could make this all in one rendezvous. After a few test launches, tweaks and careful maneuvers, I was able to achieve orbit with minimal damages to the launcher when staging. (I wasn't planning to reuse it anyways :D  unlike Space-X I have plenty funds to waste here ;))

I noticed there was something missing when I arrived ....aaah!! :confused:

NgjiKPv.png

The Game Plan here will be to Dock at this location and Dock this sideways to the Space Dock (Ok that's some wishful thinking, we'll see how that goes)

hbcoRG1.png

Edited by Castille7

9 hours ago, IkranMakto said:

Why use rapiers, intakes and wings on a spaceplane? There is only one planet except Kerbin where you need them - Laythe. 1 rapier for that planet is enough.

G8gF7rV.jpg

• I need to return the spaceplane to the KSC when I'm done with it, after all. 
  • Plus, if I'm feeling ambitious, I may go for a Duna landing.

So I don't take up more of this thread, feel free to DM me if you have any more questions/concerns/comments about my craft. Alternatively, you could reply to this thread in the "Gameplay Questions" section.

Holidays are done and my little school project is done.

Sorry i couldn't get the naval stuff done, but i simply didn't have the time to do that.

Now that there's nothing major going on anymore, it's time to resume work.

And what better to start thing's off with, than a 102m long ekranoplan.

Made it more for the fun of it, and to see if it was possible to do one in a realistic size ( the real one it's based on is 92m long).

tSICJwD.png

1CZa0Fm.png

It flies...barely, it's top speed is only a little over 100ms, and it's turning circle is really big. Id say it fit's pretty nicely for an aircraft of this size/type, but id still like to get a little more out the aircraft.

Also, because of the lack of speed and the being able to barely fly, it means there's no point trying to land in the water, cause i already know takeoff will be impossible, and most likely the landing will be too fast and the aircraft will disintegrate when it touches the water. So, still some tweaking to be done.

Expect to see this pop up in the KNS post sometime in the future.

Did some more flight tests on the Atlas LV-3B but its been challenging getting the perfomance required to reach orbit. The main issue is the Mercury capsule, which produces a lot of drag in its current state. To help test some redesigns I took a cue from the real Mercury program and built my own "Little Joe". These were solid fuel booster rockets made to test the Mercury capsule's launch escape system and to assess its aerodynamic properties.

5ffwtez.png?1

In the meantime I've started decorating a model of the Soyuz 7K-L1, otherwise known as "Zond". This was essentially a cut down version of the 7K Soyuz built to conduct manned circumlunar flybys. Development should be a bit easier since, much like the real program, most of the Zond's components were derived from existing spacecraft. 

cAhZcLO.png?1

Edited by tehmattguy

Just Finished my Build of my Follow up to the Cockpit I was working on. The Project really flew off and taken off you could say.. okay I'm done with the bad puns.

I present The GOOSE - D20-TC Goose Dropship  - Peace was never an option... 

Super Heavy Lift VTOL

Can carry my Mech suit with Transport for reference. 

i9hsVQ5.jpg

dqRDzYo.jpgATyyzrt.jpg8zI1vPU.jpg

azmKdfn.jpgh6JzFt4.jpgj8SVCH2.jpg

nOYW69v.jpgrtoQpYa.jpg

On 3/3/2020 at 6:58 PM, Mars-Bound Hokie said:

I'm trying to find a more efficient way to launch spaceplanes. More specifically, I want another SSTO to carry the spaceplane itself to LKO and return to the KSC while the spaceplane goes on its way. 

• Call me contradictory if you may, but why should I use my own fuel (and oxidizer) when someone else can do it for me?
  • I won't have to stop at Minmus to refuel - and waste more fuel getting into orbit.
  • Besides, plane-carrying planes are cool.
    • A true "aircraft carrier."

However, I've had my share of problems. They include, but are not limited to.

• Sliding on the runway despite the friction control being maxed out.
  • Having trouble achieving orbit.
    • I got into LKO once, but I cannot do it again.
  • (IN THE ONE SUCCESSFUL TEST RUN - I COULDN'T REPEAT IT) I lost control of the drop-plane during re-entry.

Can someone please help me with that? Below is the link to my craft file, if you want to try it out for yourself.

Thank you.

This really cool, I have lifters like this for the atmosphere to launch things into space but never thought of an SSTO lifter type craft, ..well I guess a shuttle/rocket configuration is kinda of close but this great, think you just need some more time into it and you will figure if out, might download tonight and test it out if I remember but yes you should keep at it, just a hunch but guessing the large wing span is causing some issues on re-entry.

Edited by Kerbalwerks
spelling

2 hours ago, Kerbalwerks said:

think you just need some more time into it and you will figure if out, might download tonight and test it out if I remember but yes you should keep at it, just a hunch but guessing the large wing span is causing some issues on re-entry.

It was also the CoM moving back while exhausting my fuel and oxidizer during the orbital ascent.

If you want to test my craft file out, go ahead. However, at this point, it is unnecessary since I have made a successful prototype.

Spoiler

LZBbydh.png

• 24 rapiers, baby.

FK44sst.png

G8BuBXa.png

sLz9wqg.png

• 294,309 funds recovered
  • Landing was tricky, but at least I managed to control the plane before then.

LAZYBIRD CRAFT FILE

If you think you can make a cheaper version, knock yourself out.

Edited by Mars-Bound Hokie
Added my craft file

23 hours ago, kapteenipirk said:

And what better to start thing's off with, than a 102m long ekranoplan.

Hard to beat that - cool build! Seems like your problems are nothing that more thrust can't fix, though.

By coincidence, I finished up my own replica of a different "Sea Monster" - the Martin P6M Seamaster. I don't know if anyone calls it this, but it could well be known as the Chesapeake Bay Monster.

4AlVvRN.png

In the 50's, before the advent of carrier-based aircraft powerful enough to carry out the long-range nuclear strike option, the U.S. Navy explored the option of creating mobile seaborne air bases consisting of seaplanes in both the bomber (the P6M) and fighter (the Convair F7Y Sea Dart - the world's only supersonic seaplane) roles. This was before the era of submarine-launched ballistic missiles, so the Navy saw a future where they were eclipsed by the Air Force due to their inability to carry out nuclear strikes. To combat this, they developed a Concept of Operations for seaplane nuclear bombers, something well within the Navy's wheelhouse. They would be supplied and maintained from submarines, forming a strike capability that would be difficult to detect and disrupt. All of this ignores the obviously difficult engineering challenge of creating such a seaborne air force in the first place, but you gotta give them credit for trying.

BDoPgkX.png

Both the F7Y and the P6M would be prototyped and evaluated for operational production (the F7Y in the San Francisco Bay, and the P6M at Patuxent River NAS in Maryland), and both programs suffered setbacks and delays resulting from combining jet engines with the notoriously corrosive and annoying substance known as saltwater. The P6M had its own unique problems though, with the original prototype having to be modified with its inward engines pointing outwards to prevent the exhaust from scorching the fuselage. Similarly, the plane had structural problems associated with operation in anything other than extremely calm seas. All of this was happening in mid-late 1955, and a competitor was on the horizon...

J0N40Vj.png

The introduction of the A3D Skywarrior for the nuclear strike jet role (which was stopgapped by the propeller-driven AJ Savage until either it or the P6M entered service) in 1956 was the final role in the Seamaster's coffin. The Navy had a carrier-based nuclear strike aircraft, completely eclipsing the need for such a complex flying boat project.

A working VTOL unit on a temporary mockup of a F-35 replica of sorts. Will have to decide if I want to go for a simple hinge system for the lifting fan or follow the F-35 closely, but the VTOL aspects needs more work, namely, being able to land the damn thing entirely with VTOL.
WrULXrO.png

Edited by Mignear

Since i havent been in the mood for spacecraft these last few days, more ground hardware.

v2enqlQ.png

My new "tank" (not that id call this thing a actual tank) thats my new replacement for the older puma series of AKS tank destroyers.  Aside from the fact that its extremely dangerous to go over 20m/s in this and try to turn or jump hills, its rather stable and doesnt really have any particular problems.  Armor is a bit weak (its stupidly tall and there isnt any way to angle armor on this design), but it has been proven to survive its own weapons provided i dont manage to hit the weapon hardpoint (which renders it useless if hit obviously).  Suspension is very strong though survival wise (and how i designed it it would be at least useable with BDA weapons if i feel like using that lateron in my campaign save (its pure stock weapons as of this point, but ive also had no major ground battles in it either).

5RlZYFf.png

Its so bloody small that it actually can drive all the way around inside the VS style ground base i am revamping from its original state way back in like 0.90 or whatever version i 1st made it in.  I still need to figure out some sort of door (thanks to BG DLC that actually shouldnt be a problem at all unlike the old days where i was forced to use aircraft control surfaces and airbrakes to make doors out of), but aside from that the core module is done.  I do need to add fuel to the bottom component of the base and sadly will likely be forced to clip it to not ruin the looks (and to not block the already non-existant interior space), but its not like i cant clip parts, i just dont like to do so when i dont have to, but looks on this build come 1st honestly (as does part count since i plan to have like 3-4 more modules ontop of the current 2).

gYURUEo.png

Not really sure if i like the refinery/production module so i might tear the current one apart and try something else, but it does technically work and im able to land it atop the base (it has engines hidden inside it for landing purposes).  Still, the funny part is that i can actually fit the tank into one of those 4 storage spaces beside the refinery core (not that i have any way to actually drag one up to that height yet, and obviously i need to make them have doors or something to open the end caps).  But yeah, as unorthodox as my new tank is, it genuinely fits almost anywhere, my smallest dropship can carry 2 of em fully inside it, it fits up to 4 into the recon bunker the thing on the top left of the last image) and i can probably fit 10 of them into my large SSTO dropship (assuming i ever finish it and manage to get it to SSTO like at all with tanks loaded onboard it).

15 hours ago, Mignear said:

A working VTOL unit on a temporary mockup of a F-35 replica of sorts. Will have to decide if I want to go for a simple hinge system for the lifting fan or follow the F-35 closely, but the VTOL aspects needs more work, namely, being able to land the damn thing entirely with VTOL.
WrULXrO.png

should be fairly simple once you know were the sweet spot is with the RPM also I would recommend using the slim standard instead of the smallest one especially if your craft's weight is in the teens in tons also im assuming your COM is right were the fan is ?

5 hours ago, InterstellarKev said:

should be fairly simple once you know were the sweet spot is with the RPM also I would recommend using the slim standard instead of the smallest one especially if your craft's weight is in the teens in tons also im assuming your COM is right were the fan is ?

Its about 8 tons right now, takes off vertically decently quick so I think I should have a bit of leeway in adding weight to it.
Its really just the wing design and the cover for the VTOL system that I'm missing on it right now.

Did some tests to find the sweet spot for the RPM and the means to control the RPM. Main throttle works well.
BpZoLxE.png

Next a simple hinge system, I chose a simple hinge system as it would be easier to troubleshoot any issues with the VTOL engine. Has the added bonus of being a half decent bomb bay if the VTOL system is removed.
2fah5s9.png

Slight adjustment to CoL via hiding some control surfaces inside the plane, and its kind of done.

CzHkRWQ.png

Made my first reusable upper stage in in the current career save. It's basically a Delta Clipper. Couldn't save the booster yet, but I believe it's doable with a proper mission profile. Also, started making a constellation. The first 4 satellites were purely for testing purposes so that's why they are in a low orbit (a rather Starlink-y way to deploy them). The Upper stage has a lot of ∆V so putting them in higher orbits shouldn't be a problem.

https://m.imgur.com/a/Wcsoj5M

YEAH SO I TRIED POSTING PICS BUT THE MOBILE PAGE REFRESHED ITSELF AND DELETED THEM SO SCREW THAT CLICK THE LINK OK?

Edited by Wjolcz

CAREER MODE PROGRESS! Featherwing Mini-Starship! And it's actually steerable, so I can aim for the landing spot with pretty good accuracy. Needs some heat shielding on the nose cone but it's fine otherwise. Over 3k of dV once in orbit too! As you ca see, the first stage got a downgrade. Not going to try recovring it for now, but it's definitely doable later down the road.

N3FQHkX.png

aBwGlPQ.png

L8z5MuN.png

5WDunEa.png

XP3bbzN.png

Q8VteOz.png

pG9NtRv.png

z58utAO.png

I will definitely be doing some exploration with this thing. Might become a proper work horse after an upgrade or two.

Edited by Wjolcz