Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Been working on this monstrosity. Started off just with a custom  cargo rack ended up making a semi C-5 Galaxy (in spirit)  Still wondering will i complete this and continue where im going or just start back with the cargo bay and make a space ship out of it or even a Vtol

The  Cargo bay is long and wide enough to hold my Kerbal Mech Suit only problem is the logistics of getting it out lol. its about 3 of my custom halo warthogs wide  or the same space as 3 MK3 Cargo units side by Side

mCc0RD5.jpg

XD3fYv4.jpg

3WpJq4Y.jpg

F7SFi82.jpg

Uiy2vCm.png

rdNoZEw.png

10wvOtU.png

nv9vI8W.png

Edited by InterstellarKev

pfpqSNO.png?1

Another attempt at recreating a US launcher, this time with the Thor-Delta. This was the fourth member of the Thor family and the first to bear the "Delta" name. With this I'm hoping to start a line of replicas of the Delta rocket family and Japanese Thor-derived vehicles.

gDwRWEM.png?1

First stage separation and fairing jettison. From left to right are Stage I "Thor", Stage II "Delta" and Stage III "Altair". Delta was an upgraded Able rocket stage which featured a cold gas attitude control system. After engine cutoff, it maintains its orientation while coasting to apoapsis. Altair was a small solid rocket stage, mounted atop Delta on a turntable. Before ignition it was spun up by small solid rockets to spin-stabilize it. It was then released and ignited to kick the payload onto its final trajectory.

HOgwetP.png?1

And just for fun, here it is with nine solid rocket boosters. This isn't a historical layout, but more of a practice run for future Delta variants.  

8P24Jl7.png?1

In this configuration, six boosters are lit on the ground with the remaining three being air-started after the first six burn out. The ground lit boosters are then jettisoned in groups of three.

Edited by tehmattguy

nqVPJE1.png

Work continues on the PBY-5A - I got the landing gear retraction functioning. Being Breaking Ground-based, they are very weak and somewhat prone to glitching, so I've resigned myself to cheating a second pair of proper landing gear under the hull to make up for it. This is not a light craft, so I'd expect it to be a little buggy if I tried for purely BG gear.

pTlWe9W.png

The aft fuselage turned out all right. I've quite happy with how the waist blisters turned out, but the the rounding on the tail leaves a little to be desired. I'll see what I can do tomorrow

53PQixK.png

A clearer view of the forwards fuselage + landing gear. I'm extremely happy with this part of the build - the probodyne probe cores are a fantastic part for making arcs of this size, so I've been using them basically everywhere.

1 hour ago, Servo said:

Work continues on the PBY-5A

Looking really good. The Catalina is definitely one of my all time favorites as-well.

For those that are looking for something a little more "economical", i present you my PBY-5A catalina.

I9WeBVu.png

JEEwRBB.png

Getting this one to work properly as a sea-plane, took a LOT of tweaking and head scratching, but eventually i got it to take-off from water.

Right now im pretty happy with the amount of naval aircraft ive done for the RAF side of things.

As for ships, ive started work on the Ark Royal, after that i would like to get a couple destroyers and a couple gun-boats/corvettes done (candidates so far: Tribal class, Battle class, E-class, Flower class, Fairmile D, Vosper MBT).

Now that i have a little more tome to pay KSP, i would like to deliver a full package of stuff.

One new addition to the WWII navy pack that im gonna likely add, is a Tips and tricks/how to build tutorial series on some of the different craft types, especially sea-planes and submarines, as those are pretty tricky to get done right.

'Been away for a few weeks.  Had thyroid surgery but I'm all healed up now.

@Castille7 and I are plugging away on a floating oil rig / drillship.  'Wanna see if we can figure out how to get ore off the ocean bottom.  Meanwhile I think he's still cranking on the next (5th?) installment of his construction site series.

nhuw0Ul.png

1 hour ago, klond said:

@Castille7 and I are plugging away on a floating oil rig / drillship.  'Wanna see if we can figure out how to get ore off the ocean bottom.  Meanwhile I think he's still cranking on the next (5th?) installment of his construction site series.

Doesn't the ore concentration in an ocean biome default to 0%?

If I'm wrong, I'm totally building an ISRU sub.

17 minutes ago, RoninFrog said:

Doesn't the ore concentration in an ocean biome default to 0%?

IDK!  'Will find out soon.  We'll still go through with it anyways, just for the pics.

45 minutes ago, Castille7 said:

@RoninFrog After testing we're at 295m Drilling Ore....

No way!

I found where I got 0%: 

In section II it says "* All ocean biomes on Eve, Kerbin, and Laythe are hard-coded to have zero Ore."  KSP must've changed that since 2015.  I'm so building a mining submarine now.

Alright update on what I was working on. So i Branched off in two different areas. Still working on a large Frigate like Craft for space application but I also split the project to work on a VTOL system with a Custom Cargo lift. I've yet to seen this implemented so Im giving it a shot. 

Video 

fPTNtnF.png

N3i3uT0.png2TwWAmB.png

Edited by InterstellarKev

As shown all my custom craft can be carried by these 3 cargo lift variants. The truck to the right will be used for off world applications. the other 2 are mid and long variants capable of lifting a lot of tons.

Long (heavy) variant can lift my mech suit to carry around Kerbal or any other thick atmosphere planet. Mid (normal and Wheeled) can carry smaller to mid size transports as well as pick up any broken parts to recover. 

try and keep the twr around 0.90 with the panther engines combined with 2 Standard Rotors on top will provide around an extra 0.15 - 0.20 twr so you can take flight.

You can also of course use the alternate mode for the panther engines but I only use this for emergency but yeah it will lift super fast with that mode.

No need for docking just park vehicle or object and make sure you turn brakes on this will keep it still in flight. Make sure if you do dock to use the bottom cargo floor and decouple from there.

Each craft comes with a small emergency vehicle which is shown on the Far Left
Pathfinder rover next to jeb
Will be Posting the 3 larger craft on kerbal x and steam soon. Working on final tweaks as they come to mind and will release video.

SPARROW HT-101 and LT-101 Custom Cargo Lift Dropship

Custom cargo lift. use L and J to control lift and drop.
Use I and K to control VTOL tilt
4 standard rotors controlled by main throttle
AG 10/0: Controls Panther Engines.
AG 5: Toggle R.A.P.I.E.R Engines
AG 9: Switch Mode Panther Engines

Also Bonus: comes with a free emergency rover tucked underneath top cargo bay

HT- 30.34m / cargo lift (HEAVY)
KERBALX: https://kerbalx.com/InterstellarKev/SPARROW-HT-101-VTOL-CUSTOM-CARGO-LIFT

STEAM: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2051297280

LT- 22.84m / cargo lift (LIGHT)
KERBALX: https://kerbalx.com/InterstellarKev/SPARROW-LT-101-VTOL-CUSTOM-CARGO-LIFT

STEAM: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2051302109

Today, I built a replica of what is probably the weirdest plane to ever grace the flight decks of U.S. Navy operational carriers - the Vought F7U Cutlass.

Hgj7M5A.png

Look at that landing gear configuration, then realize that I wasn't able to get the front leg as long as I would have liked it.

That cockpit placement and shape, too.

FYeGCyN.png

And if the side profile wasn't weird enough, look at this angle. I want to have some of whatever the engineers who built this thing were smoking...

3 minutes ago, Servo said:

[snip]

"And if the side profile wasn't weird enough, look at this angle. I want to have some of whatever the engineers who built this thing were smoking..."

As someone currently designing an attack drone for a university assignment, I can tell you that sometimes the requirements are such that you can't help but make a bonkers plane.

"Fly for 40+ hours, 8,000+ km, carry 3,500 kg of payload. Oh, and fit in something 11x17 m and take off vertically."

On 4/7/2020 at 3:49 PM, Phantomic said:

On today's episode of Cars Take Forever

the Ford GT40, with 41/2 hours on the clock

-snip-

Indeed they do! I know about that quite a bit. Here's a WIP post for the first time in two years! :)XK1Ci4Q.png

Edited by He_162

I'm trying to make a folding prop plane thats small enough to go into the Mk2 bay. I'm not that small yet. Here is a look at what I got so far.;

Spoiler

Ot6aksL.gif

It currently fits in the long 2.5m round trunk.

VaGo4II.jpg

B4EtWok.jpg

With the current wing profile its mostly ok to fly still having some torque inuced roll that I've can offset with a aileron adjustment, a drifting issue when trying to take off and a little issue with flapping.

Question 

Is it possible to limit the amount of prop deployment angle linked to the throttle ???? and if so how ? my googlefu came up empty

I keep changing the air flow direction mid flight by mistake and dislike flying with aero forces displayed.

Edited by KandoKris