Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

New to the forums!

A project of pure insanity and potential regret but I decided to go ahead anyway, to build a full interior B737-200 Combi without any part mods.

The first step to this ridiculous endeavour was the cockpit, coming in at a reasonable 900 parts. That's more than the amount of parts of my usual airliners.

Maybe I've just gone insane.

B732C cockpit

5 hours ago, Maxorin said:

Well, if you have, I dont mind it cause that is absolutely gorgeous. Interested to see how the rest of it will come out if its even half as detailed.

Also welcome to the forums! Hope you enjoy it here.

6 hours ago, qzgy said:

Also welcome to the forums! Hope you enjoy it here.

Thank you! I'm sure I will.

And for the next part of my 737, not as impressive as the cockpit but nonetheless a very essential aspect of any airliner: 

oS0elPi.png

The lavatory, colloquially known as a toilet. Where would we be without it?

Comes with a toilet, sink and cleaning supplies, if unable to resolve the 2nd type of emergency situation.

1 hour ago, Maxorin said:

And for the next part of my 737, not as impressive as the cockpit but nonetheless a very essential aspect of any airliner: 

Glad I had to approve this for posting.   Made me laugh.   Nice work!

On 5/11/2020 at 7:11 AM, Maxorin said:

New to the forums!

A project of pure insanity and potential regret but I decided to go ahead anyway, to build a full interior B737-200 Combi without any part mods.

The first step to this ridiculous endeavour was the cockpit, coming in at a reasonable 900 parts. That's more than the amount of parts of my usual airliners.

Don't push 'transmit science' or your pilots will be shish-kebabed. :D

On 5/11/2020 at 10:11 AM, Maxorin said:

New to the forums!

That is incredible! Fantastic recreation. I can't wait to see the completed project! :D

q0yRN9u.jpg

The icon herself flies again! 

https://kerbalx.com/servo/C-47-Skytrain

This was a very fun build, coming together far faster than most of my "main-line" builds typically do. Part of that was the squeaky-low part count, coming in at 400 parts on the nose. Because you can't enjoy a craft if you can't fly it.

RtLKppt.png

Somehow, I find that my lower part count builds are my more detailed ones. I focus much harder on getting each thing right as efficiently as possible, and here is no exception. I've got pitot tubes, aerials, engine exhausts and cowl flaps, oil coolers, detailed landing gear, and a full airfoil built out.

Got the Breaking Ground DLC recently, and so naturally I've been opening up completed builds and installing folding solar panels and antenna mechanisms everywhere. 

fwuVBNk.png?1

Soyuz 7K-OKS with DLC fold-out solar panels and antennas.

BoqYJ1T.png?1

Docked to Salyut 1, featuring similar upgrades.

The SSVP docking mechanism has also been redone using the DLC. Once the spacecraft are mechanically locked a hydraulic piston retracts the Soyuz's docking probe, exposing the clamp-o-tron jr beneath. Another hydraulic piston  pushes a clamp-o-tron jr through the drogue assembly, bringing the two clamp-o-trons in contact and docking the spacecraft together. This new system is more compact and 100% reusable. 

As a plus, this upgraded version should also be cross-compatible with the pure-stock version, though I don't really know useful that aspect will wind up being.

DYjCiK7.png?1

And here's a new one: Salyut 4! This was the next operational civilian station after Salyut 1. If you're wondering about Salyut 2 and 3, those were actually military Almaz-type space stations that'd been renamed to hide their true purpose.

Here I have it docked with a 7K-OKS, mostly just to test the docking mechanism. The real Salyut 4 was serviced by Soyuz 7K-T.

4xZw3j2.png?1

Interior preview. Includes a bathroom (not pictured) and DLC swivel chairs.

NL6Rihg.png?1

And last but not least: the TKS spacecraft. These were essentially large Proton-launched spacecraft consisting of a reentry capsule (VA) and a pressurized cargo section (FGB). It was originally developed as an alternative to the Soyuz spacecraft, to be used to ferry crew and supplies to the Almaz space stations. However by the time TKS finished development the Almaz program had been cancelled, and TKS were instead flown to Salyut 6 and later Salyut 7. The FGB design would go on to form the basis for several space station modules, many of which were installed on Mir. A descendant of the TKS, Zarya, remains in orbit to this day as a part of the ISS. 

Edited by tehmattguy

Long time no update! This time, I show off the 737's galley.

LmONGRc.png

How cute. It has a meal trolley, a garbage can and another trolley. Apart from that, it also has some other features, like a drink dispenser and juice boxes (not the same material as the trolleys). Also, you can choose from a selection of 4 different meals. Wow!

3r4P8xO.png

Look at how delicious airplane food is!

All our 4 meals come with a complimentary Blueberry Bar™.

Set A has a Blueberry Barand a lime jello (not from the open mystery goo container above, we promise).

Set B has two Blueberry Barsand a cake candle (cake not included).

Set C has two Blueberry Barsand one, that's right, one whole noodle. What a deal.

Finally, Set D has a Blueberry Barand a cigar with match. Cigar not edible. Match not edible.

There's also cake. Happy Birthday to all you 2-year-olds out there.

Made some more progress on Salyut 4. This time I was able to add a bit more detail thanks to the power of grip pads.

6cyWT04.png?1

Here I have it flipped over to show off the markings and instrumentation on the underside. On the aft section I added a large circular marking to represent where the solar telescope should be. I also added a sort of "neck frill" to the area in front of the solar array.   

T6NvtmG.png?1

Docked with a Soyuz 7K-T. These were the successor to the 7K-OKS Soyuz, and featured large whip antennas in place of the solar panels. 

JV5sqt1.png?1

Another shot of the forward work compartment. There aren't many images of Salyut 4's interior, so I've added a few details based on images from other Salyut stations. 

dyxHU3t.png?1

And finally in the aft section we have the space toilet! "How does this thing work?" you might ask. Well I'll tell you:

...I don't know

x53rFQY.png?1

Well, that's all I had to share today, so here's one last shot. All going well this thing should be ready for release soon along with the 7K-T. 

Been awhile since I posted working currently on a new Rover Concept utilizing my custom cockpit Tech and Wheel Tech  code name Pangolin

kmRc3Xs.jpg

Video coming soon will release tomorrow after a couple more tweaks.

Bonus also just released my new mech - KEMU 

IMbphn5.jpg

1IcNUJH.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

B737-200C update!

Your treat for today will be the passenger half of the cabin.

PPAyydj.png

View from Front

WDwBToT.png

View from Rear

How many parts is the plane now? Good news! It's only 4270 parts in its almost-half-completed state. I might have the record for highest part count plane at the end of this suffering.

It might also end up being a static model at this rate. Not that it can't fly, but that no computer can run it.

On 6/3/2020 at 6:38 PM, Maxorin said:

B737-200C update!

Your treat for today will be the passenger half of the cabin.

View from Rear

How many parts is the plane now? Good news! It's only 4270 parts in its almost-half-completed state. I might have the record for highest part count plane at the end of this suffering.

It might also end up being a static model at this rate. Not that it can't fly, but that no computer can run it.

Wow. Didn't even know that could be possible in KSP. Incredible.

On the topic of airliners, I've been dabbling around and built up probably my favorite replica to date, one of the McDonnell Douglas DC-10-30. It's to scale with the real aircraft, and I decided to try making the whole fuselage out of a fairing to get a clean >3.75m diameter fuselage, and I have to say, I really like the result. It looks cleaner overall than Mk3 fuselages and presents less aesthetic and part count problems. It's really a joy to fly, too, and it's hard to get tired of the classic lines of the DC-10. I've had a lot of fun playing with this thing.

fWPFjsG.png

WvsSS2H.png

Y00uVPZ.png

And to experiment with fairing fuselages more, I built up a Boeing B757-200. Unlike the DC-10, it's a narrowbody and has the exact same diameter as that of the 3.75m part line but I figured with fairings it was possible to have more control over the appearance of the nose, which is an important focal point, and the results are very promising if I want to make more of these replicas. This thing handles more sluggishly despite being smaller but is less prone to overstressing and breaking up mid-flight or landing. 

c8RpEgq.png

Uh1VHqJ.png

OJW3tjh.png

I think I'm pretty late to adapting to building airliners this way, and now I'm thinking of revisiting and remaking those B777s and A350s now with this kind of assembly style. 

Edited by Columbia

It's been... a while.

I was at the downswing of my KSP - other games - no games cycle recently, and my normal tactic of building small replicas didn't help break back into KSP, so I decided to take on another of the increasingly small list of U.S. Military Jets that Servo Hasn't Replicated Yet. This was #15 on the list (which includes such illustrious planes as the SR-71 and forgettable ones such as, well, everything that the U.S. Navy put on aircraft carriers between 1948 and 1955), and one that I didn't see myself - or anyone - building any time soon.

4iGTQu3.png

Philosophizing aside, this has turned out to be an interesting build, and it's my response to the unbelievably detailed grip pad cockpits that many others are building now - why can't you do that without DLC? Pushing stock techniques is my thing, primarily because I like doing it. It's got all of the basic landing gear and Mk0 spam that defines stock replica building, but also a couple new parts that aren't commonly used. The cockpit in particular is unique, being made up exclusively of communatron backs (I typically mix in some fuel cells, but they don't fit here), and notably elevons make up the rounded section of the frontal cockpit, which is framed by rounded radiators. Additionally, the anti-glare paint is provided by the backs of batteries, smoothed out by solar panel cases. 

Ideally I'll be able to keep the rest of this build under 400/at 400 parts, which seems doable, but tricky. Some compromising may be in order, especially with all the Mk0s running around the fuselage without really contributing to the build.

4nT01wN.png

c2y8hOz.png

Water Test - was able to get this into the water with much "to-do" although pretty much unusable for it's intent, aircraft all but stop in midair during final approach or flybys, think I will stop here, up to about 1800 parts with the carriage so minus a hundred or so after detaching once in the water. Definitely a challenge getting it on the runway , moving it and then into the water all with out exploding , which it did many times, it did not like going into the sea straight in, the bow would start floating with the stern still dropping causing it to buckle and explode, it tolerate a sideways approach a bit better, this is stock with no mods used. 

And another iteration of my alltine favorite ship in KSP (which is inspired by one of if not my favorite warship in any scifi movie), pretty sure im on my 20th or so version of this thing which has made huge progress from the original...

4lCQ4gK.png

NMq3SVa.png

This is the original super old replica providence.  Laggy, high parts, unpractical weapons layout (albeit authentic to replica as the real one was mmostly broadside cannons despite being in like um space which makes no sense at all).  That and way too bloody small, even for chibi scale that i normally build capital ships in, it so small it wont even fit mhy smallest starfighters, only works with unmanned droids (none of which are even star wars replicas as they are all too big to fit in here)

Q4vwTlV.png

bm3EwLl.png

So yeah, this version is absolutely massive (for a sub 500 part bone stock warship), hangar fits up to 10 vulture droid replicas (or like 30 berserker class droid starfighters if i could stomach the lag).  Like the last few models, uses 7 engines for extra excessive redundancy (it is literally impossible to neuter this thing in less then 3 very solid hits period, you can 1 shot it with extreme luck, but not disable).  Weaposn are also spread out, anti-fighter drones are in the back, heavy torps are in the middle, and SRMs are on the nose.  That and its armor is absurdly powerful for a stock ship thanks to MK2 bays as its outer hull, making it very hard for even the strongest torpedo to do solid damage (and its basically immune to anything but multiple well aimed SRM salvos).

1mKjzXx.png

I also ditched the iconic but also unpractical broadsiding capability from lik all the other variants.  Aside from eating insane part count to pull it off and not really needing to carry 24-32 SRMs when a single well aimed torpedo is arguably more lethal, there just isnt any good reason both IRL and in KSP to broadside with warships (beisides ofc being "cinematic" as it is a rather cool way to see ships slug it out).  So yeah, i armed with the Aurora class's payload which seems to be a good combination of heavy and light weapons, 8 SRMs on the front (in a mount i actually like the look of unlike the crappy looking underslung rectangular pod or fully exposed weapons of the older models), 4 heavy torps (up to 8 total if i dont carry starfighters), and 2 anti-fighter drones (8 without starfighters). 

I know not everyone is going to like this change, but it has become pretty obvious for me that the UCS project as i stands, is way too much for me, a ton of work for something that's likely to crash the game during assembly and something that isn't very fun to fly. Finding any motivation to continue that, has been impossible. So, i made the choice to change the scale of my BF-109 G-6 and future UCS aircraft to 1:1 so i can end up with something fun an functional while still retaining all the detail trough the magic of tweackscale, witch i had to use anyways in the landing-gears.

Here's the new engine.

Eh3kOWZ.png

And for comparison, here's the old big one (before it was painted).

xqbRFQe.png

Tough the new one is missing some of the tinier details, i think it looks overall nicer and cleaner compared to the old. I may still add some of those smaller details in later.

Oh, and one pretty big reason i decided to switch scale was some of the requests i got...i mean...imagine trying to build a C-130 or a Concorde in the same scale as the old one.