Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

On 12/3/2020 at 5:37 PM, kapteenipirk said:

The mighty H.M.S Agincourt, a large 200m long WWI battleship armed with 14-12inch guns in 7 turrets. A ship that swapped owners 2 times and  a ship that may have been the reason the Ottoman Empire sided with the Germans in WWI, but more on that in the proper post.

Thought that was just your own kerbal lore until I looked it up,  god damn it actually did have 7 turrets lmao. Very nice ships and planes, always love seeing your builds

1 hour ago, Yukon0009 said:

Thought that was just your own kerbal lore until I looked it up,  god damn it actually did have 7 turrets lmao. Very nice ships and planes, always love seeing your builds

The definition of "MOAR GUNS" if there ever was one. Thanks :D.

On 12/6/2020 at 7:08 PM, kapteenipirk said:

The definition of "MOAR GUNS" if there ever was one. Thanks :D.

It really is.
I'm working on a U-Boat Type IX as of now, alongside multiple custom Battleships and Destroyers. I'm also working on a Supercarrier and would like to hear any advice you might have on making my ships a bit more rugged and more un-explode-y.

I ask you because I know you have a hull repository on here and frankly they're really good. Bottom line one U-Boat design of mine works and the rest all blow up (my pc does too) the second Vessel Mover makes them touch the water. The supercarrier seems to eject Bill and Valentina into the Heliosphere at well over 200 times the speed of light. This is just a guess of mine but I don't think supercarriers are meant to do that (Currently, all of my ships have more than 3 naval guns and the biggest battleship has the capacity to carry one small floatplane/interceptor plane).

On 10/29/2020 at 10:59 AM, Columbia said:

I made a B737-800 if you're interested, check it out on my KerbalX page.

I haven't posted here in months but I've been working on quite a bit lately. Here's where I'm at: 

VbVvBSV.png

The B777 has been facing a lot of problems as of late which I can't really figure out, so I'm putting it on the backburner for now.  I made a Cathay Pacific livery for it before it started to face some issues, though: 

JAJ3knE.png

Working on a Ryanair livery for the B737, which is pretty much done except I need to solve some fuel flow issues:

2ceHtRw.png

cu5UJ9o.png

1:1 B-29 Superfortress, with Breaking Ground propellers. Also finished, wrapping up a cinematic for it:

MfVRiXE.png

Fw 190 A-8:

zl92FqW.png

Airbus A321-200 (Still a lot of things to change and add, though):

QKDAjjw.png

And something I started just yesterday, an Airbus A330-300. Still trying to sort out the aerodynamics because it can't fly, and the engines are still placeholders: 

mlrKciT.png

How do you even achieve that level of aesthetic.

A bloody amazing job that is

2 hours ago, HyperDraco said:

It really is.
I'm working on a U-Boat Type IX as of now, alongside multiple custom Battleships and Destroyers. I'm also working on a Supercarrier and would like to hear any advice you might have on making my ships a bit more rugged and more un-explode-y.

I ask you because I know you have a hull repository on here and frankly they're really good. Bottom line one U-Boat design of mine works and the rest all blow up (my pc does too) the second Vessel Mover makes them touch the water. The supercarrier seems to eject Bill and Valentina into the Heliosphere at well over 200 times the speed of light. This is just a guess of mine but I don't think supercarriers are meant to do that (Currently, all of my ships have more than 3 naval guns and the biggest battleship has the capacity to carry one small floatplane/interceptor plane).

Sure, id love to help out the best i can, tough id like to have some screenshots of those crafts to better analyze whats wrong.

Just send me a PM with some picks of the crafts and ill see what i can do.

3 minutes ago, kapteenipirk said:

Sure, id love to help out the best i can, tough id like to have some screenshots of those crafts to better analyze whats wrong.

Just send me a PM with some picks of the crafts and ill see what i can do.

Thanks, they're quite modded but I'm trying to stock-ify them (of course I use NAS, BDAc and various other mods such as Airplane Plus for wing panels)

I remember one of my earlier posts up here was about a Battleship I made called the KNS Bose (I had just a fancy new pair of headphones and was ecstatic). I remember using 16 M1A1 Abrahams turrets in 4 batteries of 4 guns. My main issue was that the shock and recoil sort of destroyed the other half of my ship. This was of course before I started ultra heavy modding and used Tweakscale, NAS and AP. I've moved since then and now have built rather large and somewhat stable ships. The Supercarrier is currently being completely redone and is close to 250 meters in length. This time it's more stable than ever, it only lags extremely hard on my travel laptop (8 GB RAM is no longer enough to run KSP in my case). I will send the files in a PM to you tomorrow as it is quite late here and I need to sleep for the first time in 2 straight days.

Thank you

Still working on that Lunar Module, this time I've installed it in the S-IVB.  The CSM/ LM/ S-IVB combo seems to be working well from TLI to lunar landing. Still thinking I may have gone overboard with part count, though. Altogether this assembly stands at well over 2000 parts, even more than my entire N1 build. 

4mFM1Tq.png

6HiXEp2.png

fbapmBu.png

SLIfXEQ.png

• 2 weeks later...

Working on a ship with a minimum of 55 ion engines. I may double it to two of these pods.. Not sure though. It may also be part of a multi pronged vessel with differenct sections dedicated to different fuels. Xenon/electric, LF, Rocket fuel, Monoprop. Still deciding though. they will also use helecopter propellors dedicated to their fuel type if possible for atmospheres.

Ship File:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1mm1qaffkcy7o73/multi-pass.craft?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m72dbd0q7suabci/multi-pass 1_1.craft?dl=0 1.1 with less solar panels and better TTW.

https://imgur.com/q9bSWsJq9bSWsJ.png

https://imgur.com/AlEbfuJAlEbfuJ.png

vE2AyVr.png

https://imgur.com/a/1IAxK54

This is the essence of the craft:

100 large xenon tanks.

55 xenon engines.(with 55 1x1 panels and small circular intakes capping the ions for looks. Could have shaved a little weight in this department.)

45 large batteries. (180,000 electricity.)

Two pb-nuks.

4 sm-25 service modules.

24 large solar panels. (just added and updated.)(12 in 1.1)

Science station.

cockpit.

3 kerbals max.

30,000 DeltaV. (@110tons, currently around 27,000 DeltaV.)

One way trip.

Probably not the best ship, but this is the best I can do with maximizing weight at 1.0 TTW.

And I'm just realizing they made kerbals weight something now. Interesting.

Not sure how to fit this into a multi vehicle yet. I will have to drastically drop the deltav and who knows what.

Edited by Arugela

POLICE INTERCEPTOR SUV

Back-Trunk-Open.jpg

Chase.jpg

Doors-Open.jpg

Engine.jpg

Left-Side.jpg

POLICE-INTERCEPTOR-SUV.jpg

Right-Side.jpg

About

The Police Interceptor SUV. The dread of looking back through your rear view mirrors, those flashing lights, the boys in blue themselves. With its Twin Turbo Hybrid Electric Motors, this isn't any ordinary Police Vehicle. The Police Interceptor SUV has plenty of room and dominance in the streets of Kerbal. Many law Enforcement and Security and Governments around Kerbal use this fierce machine.

Action Groups

[GEAR] "G"] Fully fitted and displayed engine
[AG1Front , AG2 Back]Fully working doors
[AG 3] Fully working trunk with storage
[AG 0] Turn off/on reaction wheels
Stage for Boosters  (need infinite fuel) 

Downloads and Instructions

Flags: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kcox4xl96y8rgfo/InterstellarKevs%20Custom%20Flags.zip?dl=0

KerbalX:  https://kerbalx.com/InterstellarKev/POLICE-INTERCEPTOR-SUV

Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2353742643

Install Instructions:

• Place craft file in \Ships\SPH 
  • Install Flags in your Folder \GameData\Squad\Flags
  • This will enable Transparent Windows and Logos.
    Remove them for Stealth SUV but keep the Windows on Transparent.

Waiting on a certain bug to be fixed before continuing on my Lunar Module... In the meantime I started putting together some stages for a full Saturn V build.

xZ8OQXN.png

S-IC, featuring custom F-1 engines inspired by @Yukon0009 's designs.

9MMs4qA.png

S-II with aft interstage and more custom J-2s.

JfvmOAv.png

Both stages installed with the S-IVB and CSM. The S-IVB holds ~17 tons of ore in place of the LM to save on partcount/framerate during testing. Here the Saturn V is looking pretty much complete aside from some surface details which will be added later. Currently the build is sitting at over 2600 parts. 

iu4YWzQ.png

Liftoff! The rocket takes several minutes to load onto the launchpad, making testing an incredibly slow process. To make things worse the rocket wants to explode during every phase of flight. It even took a few launch attempts to get it to stop exploding while throttling up the F-1s. This picture represents the furthest progress I've made, as it currently explodes when attempting a gravity turn. This is gonna take a while...

1 hour ago, tehmattguy said:

-snip-

Oh my, that is absolutely stunning., really love the details on the F-1s in particular. In my experience something that helped with the inevitable explosions and kraken attacks was testing each stage individually, with placeholder boosters instead of the rest of the Saturn's stages, it'll make it easier to focus on making each stage flightworthy.

59 minutes ago, Yukon0009 said:

Oh my, that is absolutely stunning., really love the details on the F-1s in particular. In my experience something that helped with the inevitable explosions and kraken attacks was testing each stage individually, with placeholder boosters instead of the rest of the Saturn's stages, it'll make it easier to focus on making each stage flightworthy.

Oh yeah, I had been testing my stages individually to an extent but not with placeholders. I'd originally wanted to test fly my S-II using a simplified S-IC but I guess I got too caught up in the idea of all-up testing.  But yeah, using placeholder stages definitely seems like a good idea going forward.  And thank you!

Originally, I was only going to build a custom launch pad for my Shuttle, but somewhere along the line I got a little carried away and ended up building the entire launch tower, oops. The launch tower is ~1200 parts and the shuttle is ~1400 parts

FD4rhHy.pngXhszBNW.png

5dqWfz2.png

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on a heat shield wing Nerv-only SSTO... However, the current design has several issues, mainly:

-it's very yaw-happy on the runway (is the wheelbase not wide wnough? is it too low? or is it an issue with the aerodynamics?)

-it's still can't take off. (do i need more wings? do i need to reduce the amount of fuel? should i switch the cockpit for a service bay + chair?)

Can someone please help me solve these issues? Here's the craft file: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/18PERXjecXKva8U8d5c7locJLVkrwHabp

Edited by iamn00b
added more details

29 minutes ago, OrdinaryKerman said:

Why are you using wings for heat shields?

watch the vid

Are the wheels pointed dead-straight at the ground?

yes iirc

Have you tried draining most of the ablator from the 'wing'?

yes

How much wing area does it have?

4x 1.25m heatshield

30 minutes ago, OrdinaryKerman said:

Why no elevons?

i've actually tried using them for control, and they did basically nothing to help