Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

I got a bit bored with Kerbal Space Program so I started playing this other game, Kerbal Submarine Program, instead. I'm making a floating base with a mini-sub, a docking port for it. It's all nuclear-powered, and I eventually want to be able to send it to Laythe and maybe Eve. It's coming along nicely. Docking is surprisingly easy, even with Scatterer-rough seas. The little sub will cruise along happily at about 11 m/s, and can even shift the base... with time and patience. Splashdown is about 13 m/s with these parachutes, a bit of a jolt but everything seems to be surviving. 

Any ideas about what else I can put on it? I want to stick with this 5 m fairing form factor.

4dEUT39.jpg

Noe29Nr.jpg

cnCwc9S.jpg

Z3LnyyY.jpg

pgukTEm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

ypVYLt2.png

The Eagle has landed! And by that I mean that I've pretty much completed my replica of the Lunar Module Eagle. New legs, new engines, lower part count, extra faceting on the sides, and I've managed to shave off 0.5t from the ascent stage. 

The main purpose of all of this is to make it easier to reconfigure the LM for a full J-Type mission. These were the mission profiles of Apollo 15, 16, and 17, involving more extensive study of the Moon from the surface and from orbit. A scientific instrument module (SIM) bay was installed in the service module for orbital operations while the LM was fitted with extra equipment to support extended stays on the lunar surface. The LM also carried a Lunar Roving Vehicle in its descent stage, vastly expanding the range and scope of manned lunar surface exploration.

Below are some screenshots of the progress I've made in trying to replicate a J-mission. 

xsZeZ4c.png

CSM-114 America

This command module flew on Apollo 17, the last Apollo mission to fly to the Moon. In addition to the SIM bay it also carried an additional set of antennas as a part of the ALSE experiment.

QTZZTEQ.png

LM-12 Challenger 

Apollo 17's Lunar Module. As with the rest of the J-missions, this LM carried a Lunar Roving Vehicle, folded up and tucked neatly into the side of the descent stage. 

gY46UOf.png

LRV unfolding

1uF2ZnL.png

Fully deployed

xVkdVdA.png

Attaching the rest of the equipment is the tricky part, since I figure that docking ports would be too large at this scale, and EVA construction would be ridiculous with so many parts to attach. The solution I came up with is to use a set of latches to secure pre-constructed assemblies to the rover. Each latch is made of flag parts using a transparent texture so not to ruin the aesthetic of the rover. 

fWheoss.png

The rover drives into the assembly before engaging its latches to grab and secure it. The assembly is then decoupled from the lander, and remains attached to the rover. 

DGqs2ZI.png

Attaching the LRV equipment pallet.

DWmHpPY.png

Moon buggy fully constructed and ready to rove. 

With this done it shouldn't be too long till I get the full Saturn V up and running. Hopefully.

Edited by tehmattguy

On 2/25/2021 at 9:59 PM, tehmattguy said:

ypVYLt2.png

The Eagle has landed! And by that I mean that I've pretty much completed my replica of the Lunar Module Eagle. New legs, new engines, lower part count, extra faceting on the sides, and I've managed to shave off 0.5t from the ascent stage. 

The main purpose of all of this is to make it easier to reconfigure the LM for a full J-Type mission. These were the mission profiles of Apollo 15, 16, and 17, involving more extensive study of the Moon from the surface and from orbit. A scientific instrument module (SIM) bay was installed in the service module for orbital operations while the LM was fitted with extra equipment to support extended stays on the lunar surface. The LM also carried a Lunar Roving Vehicle in its descent stage, vastly expanding the range and scope of manned lunar surface exploration.

Below are some screenshots of the progress I've made in trying to replicate a J-mission. 

xsZeZ4c.png

CSM-114 America

This command module flew on Apollo 17, the last Apollo mission to fly to the Moon. In addition to the SIM bay it also carried an additional set of antennas as a part of the ALSE experiment.

QTZZTEQ.png

LM-12 Challenger 

Apollo 17's Lunar Module. As with the rest of the J-missions, this LM carried a Lunar Roving Vehicle, folded up and tucked neatly into the side of the descent stage. 

gY46UOf.png

LRV unfolding

1uF2ZnL.png

Fully deployed

xVkdVdA.png

Attaching the rest of the equipment is the tricky part, since I figure that docking ports would be too large at this scale, and EVA construction would be ridiculous with so many parts to attach. The solution I came up with is to use a set of latches to secure pre-constructed assemblies to the rover. Each latch is made of flag parts using a transparent texture so not to ruin the aesthetic of the rover. 

fWheoss.png

The rover drives into the assembly before engaging its latches to grab and secure it. The assembly is then decoupled from the lander, and remains attached to the rover. 

DGqs2ZI.png

Attaching the LRV equipment pallet.

DWmHpPY.png

Moon buggy fully constructed and ready to rove. 

With this done it shouldn't be too long till I get the full Saturn V up and running. Hopefully.

what mods and where can i download (once finshed)?

1 hour ago, Rocketry101 said:

what mods and where can i download (once finshed)?

No mods, but it does require both DLCs and a bunch of custom flag textures. When it's done I'll upload it to KerbalX along with the required flag textures. I'll also make a post about it here on the spacecraft exchange which'll link back to KerbalX.

https://kerbalx.com/tehmattguy

49 minutes ago, tehmattguy said:

No mods, but it does require both DLCs and a bunch of custom flag textures. When it's done I'll upload it to KerbalX along with the required flag textures. I'll also make a post about it here on the spacecraft exchange which'll link back to KerbalX.

https://kerbalx.com/tehmattguy

ok ;) *PS: like your profile pic. also my pc will not like this...

Edited by Rocketry101

Something rather different, a replica of the Project 667 aka Delta class submarine.

DnqQoco.png

CXcMLbg.png

Dc3SibE.png

It maneuvers like a bus both underwater and on the surface which is to be expected, and the submerging system works almost perfectly, which I'm happy with. The thing on the back is a silo for the missiles, and I do plan on making an orbital rocket capable of being fired out of the sub.

Edited by Yukon0009

I need some help. this is my first time modding the game, and I'm not really sure if what I want to do can be done (it probably can I just have no idea how it's done). Im making an engine, but this engine sits at the front of the ship (I have a model made in blender which ill post here once I learn how the forums work) it's a circular engine, where it's nozzle is a ring that points outwards and back, and I'm thinking of making the plume of it be very long and go around the ship. is that possible? how would I do that?

https://imgur.com/a/qD3vHfL i don't know if that will work but lets hope it does, ive never used the forums

• 2 weeks later...

966lZV3.png

0i1i9hz.png

63varXr.png

ZkuPyFB.png

Spoiler

IFuGdVj.png

Finally got the shuttle to fly correctly (somewhat, it's more or less uncontrollable without Mechjeb stabilization with my limited piloting skills) and I'm moving on to testing and flying the whole stack.

On 3/16/2021 at 10:02 AM, Kerbalwerks said:

Started on a Bridge of sorts, never really work on an inside project.

91c5Bj0.png

A little farther below, already at 426 parts, don't think this will make it into a ship but this is fun anyway.

yD5nghN.png

Maybe the end product , haven't decided yet:

fKi73EP.png

Edited by Kerbalwerks
Added Pic.

On 3/22/2021 at 3:53 PM, Kerbalwerks said:

A little farther below, already at 426 parts, don't think this will make it into a ship but this is fun anyway.

Beautiful work! The view from Spock's station there is quite impressive.

Now we just need to make a giant green hand.

Don't have pictures yet, but I have been working on a ship called the KS-1 Euphoria. It is already at 350 parts and weighs 277000 tons. It is powered by 16 HX1-OPX-X4 "Project Arval" Multimode Heavy Propulsion Drives (from my upcoming mod KSP Overpoweredness). Thanks to its advanced ISRU unit, it has a theoretically infinite range. Its purpose is to scout potential landing sites and to provide support for other vessels. Several prototypes have taken off... but not landed.

• 2 weeks later...

A trailer of the newest Kiebherr mobile crane - The KTM 1060-3.1 . It wouldn't be a work in progress if KSP was working right, but I am having some problems with saving and launching craft right now. Stay tuned for the full video, and check out the rest of my YouTube channel!

On 4/14/2021 at 5:39 PM, Ben J. Kerman said:

A trailer of the newest Kiebherr mobile crane - The KTM 1060-3.1 . It wouldn't be a work in progress if KSP was working right, but I am having some problems with saving and launching craft right now. Stay tuned for the full video, and check out the rest of my YouTube channel!

omg I need to build something like this!!! amazing!!!

actually I'll do it right now!