Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

sp2LfvF.png

Further Lunar Starship testing. The tanker Starship isn't fully functional yet, it's basically a Starship-shaped shell at the moment, but I made it so that it would be easy to convert into a functional ship. 

6RCLpzR.jpg?1

Been Testing some CVN catapult systems - have had success launching an aircraft that has been coupled in the hangar then decouple at the end of the cat launch, still working on a system to couple the aircraft that has taxied up to the cat attached point and is strong enough to with stand the launch.

Stock and DLC parts.

Below from a few days later - attaching aircraft before launch, it still does the (weave and bob) down the cat, working on trying to smooth that out.

Edited by Kerbalwerks
Added a continuation link

On 3/21/2021 at 4:47 PM, Yukon0009 said:

966lZV3.png

0i1i9hz.png

63varXr.png

ZkuPyFB.png

Reveal hidden contents

IFuGdVj.png

Finally got the shuttle to fly correctly (somewhat, it's more or less uncontrollable without Mechjeb stabilization with my limited piloting skills) and I'm moving on to testing and flying the whole stack.

My god you genius that looks more realistic than that hobby model I made.

(look at that shameless self praise)

Edited by HyperDraco

On 5/13/2021 at 9:57 PM, Kerbalwerks said:

Been Testing some CVN catapult systems - have had success launching an aircraft that has been coupled in the hangar then decouple at the end of the cat launch, still working on a system to couple the aircraft that has taxied up to the cat attached point and is strong enough to with stand the launch.

How do you time the decoupling at the end of the track?

I've been trying to make a reusable catapult for a while using pistons and grip pads to push the landing gear, and by extension, the craft to a reasonable speed but have had no look so far.

23 hours ago, chadgaskerman said:

How do you time the decoupling at the end of the track?

I've been trying to make a reusable catapult for a while using pistons and grip pads to push the landing gear, and by extension, the craft to a reasonable speed but have had no look so far.

I set an action group on the decouple port:

Key 1 = extend piston, ths is set for each one, transverse speed set for each one.

Key 2 = decouple docking port, unlock docking port- takes a little practice on the timing so it doesn't hang up at the end , ( suppose the KAL -1000 controller could be set up for this, I haven't played with that controller much.)

I will post the whole mess over at kerbalx later so anybody can investigate the guts, TBH I had to mess with a lot of variables to get it to work somewhat smoothly and to be sure this would change depending on what aircraft you attach.

Salute

I am not, nor ever will be, a realismo guy but I have an aim to build two carriers, Yamamoto and Nakajima.  They're intended to be minimalist and effective in the KSP world.  And mainly for fun landing planes on a small deck.

But I thought I'd put some effort into personalizing the "island" for the new Nakajima, the bigger ship.  KSP being Lego (and vice versa) and a bridge being a series of blocks with book-ends to hide the mess, I started by borrowing heavily from @chadgaskerman (whose work I truly admire and will never equal) and also from the astounding first entry into the projection of naval power, SwiS Carrier I "Praying Mantis" by @swjr-swis, from whom I've outright stolen his mast), but I am nevertheless pleased with the modest tailoring I have done and especially that the result is surprisingly clean (I think) compared to my usual shoddy work.

Possibly the only surprising thing about this work is hidden away in the book-ends: 2x Hammer solid boosters to provide a resupply to visitors landing with the employment of a Sudden Arrest System (retros).

And, finally, as a result of this job, I can say that "I have finally learned to love the bomb cargo bay attachment points" (thanks to @Starhawkand a comment made long ago about "mod-attach to a node").

GE7KvQp.png

Blooper:  You hear about people forgetting a chute or a ladder...  This time, I forgot to set the thrust on the Hammers to 0...  A couple of instant red heat bars around the bridge were the only clues to cause of the very quickly ensuing detonation.  :)

Edited by Hotel26