Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Been working on an RO space shuttle of sorts.   It's only barely still a WIP, but I still have some tweaks to make to it and the launcher so I guess it fits.

It's like a weird amalgamation of 3 different vehicles
Size of the original Space Shuttle (actually it has a bigger payload capacity).
Wing / controls configuration of the X-37B.
Top-of-rocket-without-fairing mounting of the Dream Chaser.

It also has a nose docking port like none of those vehicles, to improve cargo bay space.

Simulated test flights have been interesting.  For air-drop tests, the carrier plane gets spaghettified by the kraken on separation about 50% of the time.  :0.0:
MyApHXY.png

Also, launch simulations showed that there is no such thing as too many struts, as the cockpit inverted into the cargo bay near Max-Q.  :sealed:
qqs74ag.png

Nevertheless it has performed way beyond my expectations on these first tests, proving easily controllable to soft landings...
OFRxazV.png

...taking launch g forces like a champ (navball is hidden but the g meter hits about 5g at SRB burnout)...
xpjp42n.png

...and turning out perfectly balanced (as all things should be) on reentry the first try with a 40+ ton mass sim in the payload bay, using a tiny fraction of the RCS propellant I'd budgeted, and requiring zero propellant pumping between tanks.  Mass savings, yay!!!  I did find out a part near the wing root gets toasty if I stay rolled one direction too long and/or dip too low into the atmosphere at high speed, but nothing too hard to handle.
rvW1FKc.png

I was honestly really surprised how well it all worked (aside from the inverting cockpit), because it's really been an age since I last did anything in RO / FAR.  I was sure the thing would flip out of control and disintegrate, stall and crash, or just go full lawn dart at some point, but it didn't.  :D

Now I just need to do "real" test flights, instead of "simulated" ones :P.  Also need to do a full orbital flight, because I've yet to do one straight from beginning to end).  Unrelated I'd like to figure out what's bugging my proc wing textures out so no matter what I set them to in editor, they're all heat tiled on launch. 

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

• 4 weeks later...

xikIwFN.jpg

Poking around with a mining ship. It needs that many solar panels to work at Jool.

4WkV2y0.jpg

I didn't quite get it on top of the VAB, but if I set the gimbal lower I could. (This is necessary testing, we insisted to the insurance company!)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2021 at 4:38 AM, InterstellarKev said:

Currently working on the finishing touches of my new Mech Suit. Comes with Kraken Tech as well to be a SSTA er a mech suit to anywhere? MSTA?  lol anyway .

w9hE8kZ.jpg

XK1zchj.jpg

WzXr0pi.jpg

Gotta say, the camo looks great on it, nice work!

Working on 2 craft which im almost done on. 

My new fighter is done just doing video and photos. Fully custom cockpit everything fully stock no mods. Cockpit does open and close fully with Abort Seats and canopy separation. Pulled some photos of different instrument clusters and created my own hud for the cockpit for livery (flags) Has 4 stock missiles (stock)  in its missile bay for stealth profile. Oh and the ebst thing only 189 parts (if i remember correctly) 

pWEhyW1.png

8LeO4Ep.jpg

jbeh5z1.jpg

sv4T0rn.jpg

sDj2F93.jpg

QE1ClaN.jpg

0h9oght.jpg

My new freighter again fully stock no mods with a working gravity ring habitat.  Still in the works. Getting the kraken drive down since it weighs over 250 tons. So far its good but iI require more speed. IT is unstable though when taking too sharp of a turn or reentering kerbal.. Other planets tested on was duna, Mun and Minmus which had no issues. 

This big girl is coming in at around 890 parts but could be lower or higher depending on if i change my kraken engines up.

qBiu9gW.jpg

qDXJ5VR.jpg

vwdSwnq.png

4xNGkD1.png

Going through some tough times right now trying to make sure im not homless by the end of the month but wanted to get these out before I do at least.. 

Edited by InterstellarKev

After a brief break of making carriers I've decided to start scaling them down.

2Oif1n6.png

This Light carrier is based upon the soviet Pr.1150 light carrier, mainly based on the tapering runway which i hope makes landing easy - i'm yet to test this.

97 metres long

~1,700 tons

compliment of  4 aircraft and 1 helicopter

Oo nice nice. I see you adding those flags :) I suck at making helicopters! i need to step out my comfort zone on that.

2 hours ago, Cratzz said:

deomyne-a65438cb-a8b0-42dc-be9a-01ef8fa3

deon6ph-f6739fde-da4b-4eec-b5e2-f13cfa25

Working on a Huey.

so uh... yeah things escalated and change of plans as I mentioned. I been craving a VOTL and I have since downloaded the Waterfall mod and OMG BIG change I love the looks so yeah VTOL time. Almost done with this just tweaking flight characteristics and cockpit livery 

H0Bkwx0.jpg

X8Ne8fP.jpg

yVQmQXL.jpg

tsfhN65.jpg

1 hour ago, InterstellarKev said:

Oo nice nice. I see you adding those flags :) I suck at making helicopters! i need to step out my comfort zone on that.

It was the last thing that had been bugging me that i couldn't do, so big help there. It's my first, i needed to get out of my comfort zone aswell.

1 hour ago, InterstellarKev said:

so uh... yeah things escalated and change of plans as I mentioned. I been craving a VOTL and I have since downloaded the Waterfall mod and OMG BIG change I love the looks so yeah VTOL time. Almost done with this just tweaking flight characteristics and cockpit livery 

H0Bkwx0.jpg

X8Ne8fP.jpg

yVQmQXL.jpg

tsfhN65.jpg

Looking good :) Made a Drone/VTOL also a few pages up, lot's of fun. Made a Harrier a while back too.

Edited by Cratzz

40 minutes ago, Cratzz said:

It was the last thing that had been bugging me that i couldn't do, so big help there. It's my first, i needed to get out of my comfort zone aswell.

Looking good :) Made a Drone/VTOL also a few pages up, lot's of fun. Made a Harrier a while back too.

Nice I love Vtols I have a lot of KRaken Vtols and conventional ones as well. 

2 hours ago, chadgaskerman said:

When's the Kraken Carrier coming out?

possibly tonight or tomorrow depending on personals circumstances will be on kerbal x and steam.  The body is fully done not gonna change anything else externally but internally is going through some drive changes but very satisfied  with the vertical lift just need that forward thrust for low gravity 

Edited by InterstellarKev