Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

So recently I've been working on a couple of Air-launch systems, The first is a smaller missile with a ComSat 'Warhead', meaning that it can't be interchanged and is the sole payload the system can carry.
0YZGGKm.png

The other system is far more versatile with a larger payload that is still quite modest by traditional standards, can put roughly 3 tons into LKO comfortably, with fuel  left in the second stage for station keeping and rendezvous.

iF0crL2.png

iF0crL2.pngGjwD2nZ.png

Right now I'm struggling to think of what to do next.

Here's an interwar-styled monoplane fighter made from B9 Pwings, using FAR, AJE and RealFuels. Not a particularly fast fighter but extremely light (2t fully loaded, using BDArmory you can simulate an aluminium-clad wooden airframe),and can therefore turn on a dime. Using its Merlin XII it climbs and accelerates like a rocket.

I'm using Scatterer, Textures Unlimited and EVE/AVP:

https://imgur.com/4SruPjkhttps://imgur.com/4SruPjkzAAkgsE.png

4SruPjk.png

m4kDdqu.png

https://imgur.com/4SruPjk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This craft is as much a WIP for the custom parts I have for it as it is for the overall design, but it's in a state I'm happy enough with to share.

Unsurprisingly, the debut of Top Gun's Darkstar has inspired a good few of us, and here's my take on the design, project "Shockwave":

screenshot52.png

Aside from the custom parts I made, featuring a true dual-mode scramjet - the "holy grail of hypersonics", the craft just uses Procedural Wings and Tanks.

It flies much like the one from the movie, just barely able to get to Mach 10 at 35km (~120k ft), and melting if it goes any faster than that!
Had to use JNSQ to get a good rescale for it to stretch its wings, using stock would have it pitching down too much to stay in-atmo.

screenshot51.png

may release the custom parts in future, but the engine model needs to be re-meshed, and I need to get good at texturing (I only have a mouse, yikes!).

4TvJzZL.png
8GEsolD.png

Fighters are cool. Flags layered on top of each other are weird. Ejection seats are pain.

I also used to have a pic of this thing strapped to an SRB, with the ejection seat flying out, but it's disappeared for some reason.

Edited by Kasyan

3 hours ago, Kasyan said:

Fighters are cool. Flags layered on top of each other are weird. Ejection seats are pain.

I also used to have a pic of this thing strapped to an SRB, with the ejection seat flying out, but it's disappeared for some reason.

Tip, you can turn the side panels that your using with flags into physical objects that you can place other objects on as well. Choose white or black panel (its right after transparent) Helps to make them more stable. (will have lots of drag though) 

2egn38m.png

I guess this is the opposite problem most people have when building Kerbal aircraft.   Even with the enormous foreplane the CoL is way far aft,  and despite the trim tank ahead of cockpit,  the CoM moves aft as the fuel empties.

Blame this on the strake-constructed engine "tunnel".   This means the centre wing section is a biplane,  and the monoplane main wing is entirely aft of our CG.   All the king's horses and all the king's men will not get this nose up.

On 6/24/2022 at 8:16 PM, InterstellarKev said:

Tip, you can turn the side panels that your using with flags into physical objects that you can place other objects on as well. Choose white or black panel (its right after transparent) Helps to make them more stable. (will have lots of drag though) 

Yeah, the side panels are already solid, too bad I can't make the windows solid, it would be handy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Getting Back into some ksp with a new trimaran frigate.
WM8Hikg.png

Spoiler

5Ai62UP.pngJwNg6Kg.png

The vessel currently sits at a healthy 201 parts with the dimensions being 68 metres long, 19 metres and 20 metres tall with a top speed of 30m/s. Instead of using screws like my older craft I've elected to use a set of 3 edited goliath engines, the rear pair acting as pseudo water jets, whilst the third embedded in the hull has a negative thrust providing an infinite range to the craft, however you will have to stop to refuel. It can do stretches of around 580km at 29m/s at 4x time warp before having to stop, I'm sure this can be improved by lowering the thrust but I can't be bothered to test this any further. The vessel also provides a large landing space for VTOL Aircraft as well as having a small hanger for embarked craft. The quarterdeck which can just be seen in the first picture can also house interchangable mission equipment in the form of a cargo pod containing either a full science suite, IRSU, Comms and Cargo storage units.

I'm probably going to make a small helicopter to go with  this craft before a release it as well as attempting to put it on laythe as well.

• 2 weeks later...

So i think i may have finally made a "ramming ship" that is actually not trash.

yRgWby2.png

very good TWR, actually better then most of my starfighters, 30t ship pushed by the quad nozzle 1.25m engine and 4 of the smaller gimbleable ones.

TBn3nWf.png

It will loose the front when smacking into anything massive (the target is what, 300t), but the crew sofar has yet to get killed during testing...

BGNfG3R.png

And it actually managed to cut the front off of that transporter...

MYcvypk.png

So yeah, i need to tweak this a tad, fuel flow is broken and a few other things could be balanced like the COM, but at least it works and is way betetr then the mk2 of this same ship which flat out is going to become a pirate owned vessel as its just trash which can neither ram, nor take a single hit, nor do much else useful.  Also need to redo that transporter in teh background as it has a tendency to do the "wobblin krakken" the instant it takes the slightest amount of dmg (its because of those 6 fuel tanks on the backside).

• 2 weeks later...

Code name : The Tick. 

Will be a Explorer type vessel one finished. I believe this will be its final design with a little modifications. think in the line of a classic "hero ship" will be another kraken drive ship.

wlP4VTq.jpg

xvbxPj3.jpg

OSoCTkP.jpg

Thinking about interior design, Living areas? Engine room? Cargo space? 

a66zhUt.jpg

gCke0Ky.jpg

1 hour ago, Kerbalwerks said:

gWeknbr.jpg

what are we making here :awe:

On 9/13/2022 at 1:43 PM, InterstellarKev said:

gWeknbr.jpg

what are we making here :awe:

Think this might give it away   :)   almost done, the waist gunners need some guns and such,  lol  , bye the way, love your new Sci- FI craft above could totally see something like that in a Movie.

lnwvYFR.png

Edited by Kerbalwerks

g5tNOBQ.jpg

qWAAEiw.png

8O8OJvX.png

uVEPDlL.jpg

QLqXGXc.jpg

3oDWPDN.jpg

Hj1a4jH.jpg

Did some more work on my next project. Went with the Cargo Bay Interior. Very large able to hold either some wheeled craft or smaller space craft. Going to be working on multiple mount bays inside cargo bay.

Please excuse the Crazy Kraken drive up top (its usually covered up)

Cargo bay opens in 2, This allows for wide and tall loads. So far can lift freeleasy without the fear of kraken attacks from Kerbin. (have not tested on other planets or under load) Can increase lift by adding more Kraken drive rows.  (so far not needed for another hopefully 60T for a Kerbin take off)

Still thinking if I will keep the False back engine design or Change it. (I kind of want to keep it though to make this series of craft a evolution and design similarities.) 

Will probably make a separate Unit transport bay to allow for at least 10-15 more kerbals. I don't like going over 1000 parts but I'm over 1100+ right now probably will be near 1500 by the time i'm done.