Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Update: Re-designed fairings, chose to keep the launch escape system, Abort command works, and reduced vibrations and wobbling on Block A, and fixed block D.

TO-DO:

-Clip/shorten engines

-shorten Launch escape system

-Need something to fill in for the spherical tanks

-pray that my computer doesn't explode

DFwVWTB.png

6hXmF37.png

wct8mxZ.png

kSgqkxv.png

Edited by xoknight

I was inspired when I saw Rune's Tylo-capable lander, but I wanted to see if I could take it a bit further. I decided to try to make a two-Kerbal SSTO version capable of both Tylo and Laythe landings and returns (not necessarily in the same trip, I'm crazy not insane). It has definitely been an overstretch, but I've made some interesting landers out of the endeavor and I haven't hit a block just yet. Figure I'd showcase the evolution that occurred from each design. I've taken to calling them CTVL for Crew Transfer Vehicle and Lander.

A note on making it for two Kerbals: I've come to agree with the old NASA philosophy of redundancy and that goes double when it comes to the little green guys themselves. My Kerbals tend to push their equipment beyond their limits while exploring and rarely survive the experience. Since I have permadeath on, having a second Kerbal that can stay with the -precious science- lander and get it back to Kerbin is a necessity.

The SSTO requirement was attempted because rockets.

aaNPJl7.jpg

This was my first attempt at a Tylo-rated two-seat SSTO CTVL (mouthful). It failed both the Tylo-rating and SSTO status, but I really liked the look. It does come close to being Kerbin SSTO rated though, with a delta v of 4,400 m/s in vacuum. OK, so not THAT close, but close enough that I decided to use it as a base for making a Kerbin SSTO-rated lander.

UMlmL9a.jpg

My GrassKropper CTVL, taking inspiration from both SpaceX's Grasshopper and the bottom stage of Rune's Tylo lander. It has 2 full science suites, seats two Kerbals, plenty of docking capabilities, fairly decent control, and has a delta-v of 4,900 m/s. And it doesn't look half bad IMO. I've launched it to LKO, landed and taken off from both the Mun and Minus several times, and landed it intact on Kerbin (with lots of refueling, of course). I'm definitely proud of this one. The one drawback is the height, which makes it easy to topple when landing.

mavfwXh.jpg

I attempted to shorten the GrassKropper a bit, resulting in the FatBoy. I'm not proud of this one, I was hoping to keep it leaner. Like no wider than the GrassKropper. Instead, it has love handles. Plus it only has 4,500 m/s delta v, 4,600 m/s if I take out the RCS fuel.

4CDFCRE.jpg

I started trying to trim some of the fat from the FatBoy and GrassKropper, so I could hopefully make the former thinner and the latter Tylo-rated. The GreyHulk seen here was my best attempt at replacing the Mk2 Lander Can with something lighter without losing the two seatedness. (That is too a word. Shaddup.)

ZQiFUli.jpg

After the GreyHulk, I gave up on making the lander an SSTO. With the GreyHulk crew section, and a couple of other changes, I could get the GrassKropper to ~5,500 m/s delta-v. To get more would require scaling back the crew size and/or science carried and it still wouldn't be enough. Instead I started making a two stage lander more like Rune's Tylo lander, using the GreyHulk crew compartment as a base.

This, called CopyCat, is where I stand currently. (Maybe rename it to King? I mean, those tanks kinda look like a crown. If you squint.) Total delta-v is barely 6,000m/s, ~3,900 in the top lander and ~2,100m/s in the second. Decent TWR on both stages too. It is Tylo AND Laythe capable, at least according to the math. (yes that means I haven't flown it at either body yet. Just trust the math. Trust it.)

I'm still hoping to get it to 8,000m/s delta-v, mostly through the second stage, but I'll be happy with 6k. Part of the problem with delta-v I'm running into is it's hard to add a significant amount while keeping the same width and close to the same height as I have now. I'm restricting it that way purely for aesthetic reasons. The aesthetics as a whole need a tune-up, at least to my eye. I'm also going to replace the decoupler between stages with a pair of docking ports. That way they can be lifted separately and I'd only need to replace the bottom stage if/when I have to eject it.

CopyCat is also opening up a possible 3-stage lander. The crew compartment has a natural division from the rest of the top lander. I'm considering making the crew compartment an independently engined (again, totally a real word) stage, with a pair of junior ports connecting it to the top lander stage.

Edited by Ithicatic

Update: re-designed engines, added a small slanted skirt to Block A, fixes fuel flow, added more power/engines to the LK, shortened the Launch escape system, and my computer is melting.

Updated rocket (renamed N1 L4 in case of needing to go back to a earlier version)

yWfLLe6.png

Skirt with shortened engine

85ZPXsO.png

Lift-off

3ZQaOZd.png

Getting some tilt, and weird fuel flow here (edit: fixed... hopefully)

2ntonbM.png

Abort sequence activated

7iKbQ5v.png

Snip

Well I'm very glad to have spawned that cool design cycle! They look good, and landers don't get enough love in the spacecraft exchange. Good job!

@xoknight, your replicas are very very polished. May I suggest a look at my N1 for interstage ideas? I think I got it to look good... also, getting the original engine configuration in the first stage (24 outer engines, 6 inner ones) is great to fill the void inside it, no need to break your head to simulate the round fuel tanks you can't see in the original anyhow.

Rune. Keep it up everyone!

Working on this at the moment. I hope to do a full Duna mission shortly :) It's similar to the Saturn "Nova" C-8 Rocket, a planned bigger version of the Saturn "5" C-5. And YES I use the old VAB because otherwise my PC would't like that. It has 8 Mainsails and (clipped) 8 Skippers in the first stage, 8 skippers in the second stage and 1 Skipper in the third. It has a 2-stage 2-man lander covered in fairings and CSM with enough fuel to slowdown without the atmosphere and flying back zo Kerbin. It has a 2 small rovers and a seperate sub-satellite for Duna an one for Ike. The payload has a 2.5 m diameter and is covered in 3.75 m fairings, which is th diameter of the third stage. The second stage has two diameters, 3.75 and 5 m. the first stage has an gigantic diameter of 7.5 m.

YBUb7hg.png

Edited by Nephf

gjVXXVw.jpg

rLttUwo.png

Updated the two stage, 2-seater lander, seen here during atmosphere tests. Attached to each other via docking ports, so either can be replaced at will. 7,000 m/s delta v, split almost evenly between each stage.

Edited by Ithicatic
I can't imgur

For your N1, xoknight, are lots of the structural fuel tanks empty? With the eight engines of Block B, it doesn't look like it would have the TWR to keep going.

1. Yes most of the fuel tanks are empty, actually the fuel runs out in about 20 seconds.

2. I have another 8 more radial engines hidden in the center of block B

Also, coming near 1,000 parts, surprised that the game hasn't crashed yet...

wSRsxFw.png

Edited by xoknight