Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Horologium

70Wxw

My new SSTO VTOL capable of attaining a 75kmx75km orbit with an extra 850m/s to do whatever you want, be that docking with a station for refuel, or heading to the Mun for an intercept and free return(not enough to land).

70Wy6

It currently uses two Turbojets, and one aerospike, but I think there's got to be a way to give it more dV, I just can't think of any.

Any suggestions?

Is there a way to make a launch escape tower automatically detach from a docking port with staging? I always seem to have to click the docking port and hit "decouple node."

Action groups work well

for me. I have in general found weird things go on with staging - but I also strain the game in other ways too.

On the road again!

71O0C

My space trucking career is about to begin!

72bHf

It's doing well so far.

72bCa

Unfortunately, KSC does not have any use for space themed trucks, as they generate their own fuel...

I think I'm going to have to expand my line of trailers, and see what kind of things I can transport.

Redone cab, and new trailer.

72GRB

Since the taking of this screenshot, I recently change the front bumper, so it doesn't drag so close to the ground.

72Hrk

Completely compatible with my previous trailers as subassemblies.

72MJq

I also created a new flatbed trailer to transport almost anything you want.

The rear ramp is moveable, and lowers all the way to the ground. The trailer is only limited to the strength of the tires. I've yet to start any proper testing as to the failure points, but I think that's next, beyond some new trailers. I do have a hab-module in the works, so that might be next instead.

I have too many projects going on at once :/

Edited by Cranium

It currently uses two Turbojets, and one aerospike, but I think there's got to be a way to give it more dV, I just can't think of any.

Any suggestions?

I am no expert but I would take off the aerospike and put on 1 nuke or 2-3 48-7S's

and you should get a lot more Delta V.

If you put up the craft file I will gladly do it as I like tinkering with other peoples designs.

Trying to do stock fairings is annoying. Too much weight and too many parts. Without fairings, this is 342 parts. With fairings, it's 830.

http://i.imgur.com/C5eVMBq.png

I take it this is slated for public distribution, which means the use of Procedural Fairings is out (I've figured out a cool way to do Apollo style with them).

Yeah, I'm going for stock-only, as usual. One thing that should help is that I just discovered that the S-IVB actually completed orbital insertion. Previously, I had been aiming for the 2nd stage to make orbit. Now that I don't have to do that, I should be able to reduce the fuel levels in the lower stages to save weight for fairings.

Yeah, I'm going for stock-only, as usual. One thing that should help is that I just discovered that the S-IVB actually completed orbital insertion. Previously, I had been aiming for the 2nd stage to make orbit. Now that I don't have to do that, I should be able to reduce the fuel levels in the lower stages to save weight for fairings.

10 Tons maybe? :sticktongue:

Gue

Trying to do stock fairings is annoying. Too much weight and too many parts. Without fairings, this is 342 parts. With fairings, it's 830.

http://i.imgur.com/C5eVMBq.png

You've probably heard it a gazillion times, but if you are going to use certain kinds of fairings a lot (I'm thinking 2.5-1.25 adapters, for example, or 1.25 sections and endpoints, 2.5 sections are probably fine on plates), you could weld them and create a set of stock welded fairings. I'd bet people would like such a pack, actually.

On a slightly related note, and I recently did one of my best fairings yet, for a beautifully packed scan sat (itself full of non-stock antennas):

9D8gr72.png

Rune. Then again, it might be reinventing the wheel.