Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Oldschool (BSG ‘78) Mk 1 Scout Viper and Cylon Tanker

vpNmJT6rR_xnm5bv7THcSIb5cFMIt19IrIRDFvrejnWztHXL86n8gidBGJT_SU4ZYlWe8uiQ9fYVpxgo_uLVd_8cL3-y2WelEv35RIbos-oRDEZzbkknWAJfZz1WQ9Ag3ykP6Ec

These two craft were discovered at a crash site on Mun, where investigators speculate the unarmed scout craft rammed the unarmed tanker craft, causing both to crash many yahrens ago. Both were studied and repaired at Kerbin Transfer Station (LKO-80) where they were fitted with a QuadroDock, which allows docking at 120-degree rotations. The Viper is very nimble and can fly around and land on Kerbin, but can’t reach orbit with its onboard fuel. Its limited range suggests it was designed to be launched from a mothership of some kind. The small Cylon Tanker had a pile of robot parts inside, which Bill converted into a remote piloting unit, then slaved the controls to the Viper. He painted “MechJeb†on the control panel as a joke. Then he installed mining and refinery equipment inside the “hammer head†section that used to contain the robots. With these modifications, Jeb Kerbuck can pilot the Viper to conduct long-range reconaissance missions, using the Tanker to ferry the Viper from planet to planet and refuel wherever it can land.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Construction issues:

- Symmetry is wacky. Some parts placed with radial symmetry will only allow parts added to them with mirrored symmetry, plus ghosted duplicates. Many of the parts on these craft had to be placed individually when symmetry should have been allowed.

- Struts and fuel lines are wacky. To adjust the balance of the Viper for atmospheric flight, I remove the Tanker and set it aside. When I reattach it, fuel lines and struts on the Tanker are going wacky directions instead of where I had placed them.

- DockingPortJr is small enough to use on a RAPIER without blocking any of the exhaust, but it’s challenging to build a 4-port dock on the end of a long asymmetric ship that minimizes flexing and precession under full thrust.

No parts mods were used.

Mission accomplishments:

- Cylon Tanker ferried Scout Viper to Munar orbit

- Tanker landed on Mun to refuel

- Viper landed and docked for refuelling on Mun

- Tanker ferried Viper to Duna orbit

- Tanker landed on Ike to refuel

- Viper landed on Duna and acquired recon data

- Viper launched from Duna to dock in Ike’s orbit and refuel from tanker

Demonstrated capability:

- Tanker carries enough fuel for 8 or so Viper sorties to Duna and back to orbit

- Tanker can refuel on Ike, meet Viper in Ike orbit and ferry Viper back to Minmus.

- From Minmus, Tanker could also ferry Viper to slurp up SCIENCE (and fuel) from the Kerbin, Eve, Duna, Dres and Jool systems.

CpfagLn.png

Surely this Scout Viper will seek out the clues to the lost tribe we've been searching for, SO SAY WE ALL!

I figured my last FAR plane was in a bit of a need for proportions rework to really be a F.22 replica so...

Glad with the result even though it still needs a bit of polish here and there

dl2P1R7.jpg

Edited by RevanCorana

Nice... But how do you get them to reverse their direction to make it go down again? Of course there's the argument that one should never go backwards and only forwards... :)

I've thought about that, but haven't really come up with a viable solution. Maybe there can be a mechanism at the top of the shaft that pushes the elevator onto something that brings it down safely, not sure.

Surprisingly this wasn't catastrophic straight away... The rotor disc kept spinning, albeit not that smoothly. Got at least another minute of flight before it finally went its own way.

Getting closer to something that will be more reliable... I probably should rebuild the rotor hinge mechanism from scratch...

XAUUSao.jpg

Rebuilt A380 from scratch, based on the photographic data I had, with a few improvements, such as engines, longer fuselage and all that:

http://i.imgur.com/gdZRtDt.png

http://i.imgur.com/S9cA2eV.png

http://i.imgur.com/9AmPNgC.png

Pretty good, gives me a good impression, everything except that cockpit, can you add another passenger section to the top and clip it into the one behind to make the top hump come further forward? From the pictures I'm looking at, thatand the strange angle on the wings is the only thing I would look at

a380.jpg

Pretty good, gives me a good impression, everything except that cockpit, can you add another passenger section to the top and clip it into the one behind to make the top hump come further forward? From the pictures I'm looking at, thatand the strange angle on the wings is the only thing I would look at

http://www.aviationcv.com/aviation-blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/a380.jpg

..How's this..?

To me, it looks really ugly, tbh.

mdXeLMI.png

Surprisingly this wasn't catastrophic straight away... The rotor disc kept spinning, albeit not that smoothly. Got at least another minute of flight before it finally went its own way.

Getting closer to something that will be more reliable... I probably should rebuild the rotor hinge mechanism from scratch...

http://i.imgur.com/XAUUSao.jpg

Is that rotor powered, or are you building a true autogyro? Because if so, you have all of my respect and as much rep as I can throw your way. :)

Rune. I dunno if it would be the first one, but I haven't seen any, though many have tried.

Is that rotor powered, or are you building a true autogyro? Because if so, you have all of my respect and as much rep as I can throw your way. :)

Rune. I dunno if it would be the first one, but I haven't seen any, though many have tried.

Pure stock, pure unpowered rotor.

It doesn't truly autogyro, because the rotor rpm is slow. So it's more "homage". I have two flying prototypes. One that uses fixed blades but suffers from huge amounts of asymmetrical lift once you get above 50m/s. Currently tweaking and testing blade/mast angles to provide maximum fun, and bearable handling niggles.

The hinged, which you see there, has a much flatter angle, and you can really watch the blades flap up, down, left and right. Just like real blades. But the blades spin far too slowly. However, because of all the reaction wheels to counteract the torque reactions, they are an absolute blast to tootle around the KSC with. Who cares that you can't go faster than 50m/s...

I want to get them more stable, and to the point where you don't need the reactions of a cat on friggin steroids to fly the thing. And then I shall upload them. Because I promise you, you may lose a Kerbal or two, but you'll be grinning from ear to ear while you read them their last rites.

An earlier prototype in action, more proof of concept, now trying to add it to something with aesthetic considerations:

I really need more time in my day to finish these two.

Exploration ship Innovation and shuttle Excursion undergoing proof-of-concept and standard operation trials. I'm pretty satisfied with the final layout, now it's time to think of lander ideas, and stuff to fill up the cargo bays with.

DS9FaS5.png

ERqa7q8.png

eZ01YKI.png

eIwoQWH.png

ZIRemot.png

7ns9is3.png

Qynm5az.png

Edited by inigma

Originally this was just meant to be a proof of concept type thing, but it's really starting to grow on me.

dppm2Yn.png

Vaguely based on the heavily area ruled, wasp waisted coke bottle styled jets of the 50's and 60's, there's not a single normal fuselage part in the design.

2vERxbe.png

It's incredibly maneuverable at any speed because of the massive control surfaces, but above 450m/s or so hard turn = broken aeroplane. It's also very fast, punching through Mach 1 with ease in a 60 degree climb, and can circumnavigate Kerbin at 1400m/s and 21,000m.

It's not without issues though, at low altitudes fuel consumption is high, which is especially bad seeing as it only has 880 units of liquid fuel. Despite the ability to do an eastwards circumnavigation with fuel to spare, going supersonic below 10,000m will quickly empty the tanks.

U6egdrW.jpg

The landing gear is also a pain, it sits very low to the ground so there's a tendency to tailstrike on takeoff, and there's little space for underwing stores - annoyingly, as it would just take two Mk1 fuselage drop tanks to almost double the fuel load. It also suffers from asymmetrical flameouts, which I think result from it using the nerfed structural intakes.

I tried it with BDArmory, where it works well because of it's low part count (27 without BD armory parts) allows lots of extras and other vehicles, and because it's so maneuverable. You can put weapons in the space between the engines Tomcat style, although it does suffer from the lack of ground clearance. Also, combat range and time is limited by the lack of fuel. If only there was a way to get a couple of 1.25m drop tanks under the wings, it could be quite useful as a long range fighter. As it is now, it's probably best suited to short range interception and recon (since it could stay at efficient cruise altitude).

Started trying to lift 3 jumbo 64 oranges to orbit. My poor comp just didn't want to do it with the designs I had in mind. I could probably do it if I carried the tanks externally instead of in cargo bays. I wanted cargo bays though for other payloads. Also, I hate when cargo bay doors clip into other parts when open; does it matter in KSP? No, but it bugs me so I have to make the engine pylons away from the cargo doors. The extreme weight of the fuel/engines requires lots of support when stationary and aerodynamic support when moving. I eventually abandoned the 3 oranges for 2 and an ISRU setup. I had to use some of the orange tank's LF, but I had a surplus of LOX so it carried more than I needed in weight. I think it will do pretty well eventually.

8Keb0QK.png

ZcyMHfc.png

G8Gf7J9.png

cXgcnGb.png

m7M8ljc.png