Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

13 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

I'm not sure it has enough RTGs man. :D

It doubles as a back up generator for the Mission Control Facility :D

12 minutes ago, Azimech said:

:lol:

Ten characters.

When your stock turboshaft engine runs out of fuel you can plug it into my Star Hunter and run it! :cool:

Edited by castille7

7 hours ago, castille7 said:

Ok here is my first craft build for 1.1, and I wanted it to be a little more dramatic then previous craft. After working with @Rune I now have an SSTO fever. My first experience with an SSTO was the K-Prize Challenge and I made that one by the skin of my teeth. That's when I realized SSTO craft are a very challenging craft to build. After my first go at being a Test Pilot with Rune's SSTO Beast Arrow I learned how much I didn't know about these majestic beast. After hours of engine swapping, mode changing, fuel balancing, electrical adjusting, takeoff exploding and most of all in the clutches of Kerbin's unforgiving gravity fight near 28k I am almost there, a few more test flights and no more tweaking I hope and this will be my second SSTO and one of my greatest achievements to date in KSP. I tell you with the weight of this craft slowly peeling off the runway it is so exciting and a cool experience. 

I wanted to name the craft persistent, something to that effect but decided to stick with Star Hunter

The first picture is Star Hunter now, the other pictures are where I was starting and how close I am to an Orbit so far.

Weight 68.8t

Star Hunter

Umm, you might want to use some gigantors instead of RTGs.

3 hours ago, Majorjim said:

Nice man, you must be happy they fixed the infinite heat bug.

How the hell do you remove IMGUR albums from replies..?

It's his specialty! A bearing with fins or plates that are spun by the force of jet engines.

Just try to select it, even though it won't highlight, it will go away when you hit backspace.

Just now, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Umm, you might want to use some gigantors instead of RTGs.

Just try to select it, even though it won't highlight, it will go away when you hit backspace.

That does not work on my macbook.. I don't browse on my desktop.. HO hum.

Just now, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Then I'm afraid there's nothing you can do, sorry. :)

I know.. I could always get up off my poophole and post from my desktop except then I wont by laying down..

Edited by Majorjim

I now have another SSTO in my Hangar. After removing much unneeded weight like generating power.......(well some of us think so :P) which was used mostly for it's futuristic look and to maintain the Dawn Engines. I also removed some batteries and fuel which made the most difference. Star Hunter is now in Orbit! No Nukes on this one, my final push to Orbit was on Xenon Gas. Next hurdle, burning in and landing light on fuel.

Star Hunter is now an SSTO!

My stock engine/propeller thrust test rig from 0.90 basically works but suffers from the landing gear phantom forces. Think I'll try the XL3 wheels or maybe just wait for a next update. Also I'd really love an update to No Offset Limits so I can reduce the part count and create a needle that's less wobbly for a faster readout.

fVOJVIk.png

So, I couldn't really hold the hype any longer, and I started working on a lineup for a fast-ish career playthrough. The first two ships are not much to write home about, really (though in the second I go straight to polar orbit, to milk EVA science points on all of kerbin's biomes and getting to the 90 point tier in two flights, which is something). But the third one I think that came out pretty sweet.

yYkNrq2.png
It's the requisite 30 parts, and only parts of the lowest possible tech level to actually fly a plane... yet it is a full-fledged hydro plane, very maneuverable, stable, and capable of landing in a ton of places, thanks to a "suspension" on the rear wheels (they are wobbly) and the wide landing gear arrangement. And it is stable enough to fly without SAS, relying only on trim, so you can actually use a scientist for the flight and earn another boopload of science points in a single flight/rove/swim around KSC and its immediate surroundings.

Rune. With all the science it can get at 100% recovery, I'm thinking the next launch is already going to be a recoverable TSTM, A.K.A. something like my old Science-ER.

Edited by Rune

2 hours ago, Azimech said:

My stock engine/propeller thrust test rig from 0.90 basically works but suffers from the landing gear phantom forces. Think I'll try the XL3 wheels or maybe just wait for a next update. Also I'd really love an update to No Offset Limits so I can reduce the part count and create a needle that's less wobbly for a faster readout.

I am stunned with this horse power meter and how it works, this is cooler than liquid nitrogen man! I'd love too see your car at home :cool: I won't guess but my favorite lately is the 1971 Split Bumper Camaro, it use to be the 1969 but that cobra looking front end really grabs me. Awesome work here!

2 hours ago, Rune said:

So, I couldn't really hold the hype any longer, and I started working on a lineup for a fast-ish career playthrough. The first two ships are not much to write home about, really (though in the second I go straight to polar orbit, to milk EVA science points on all of kerbin's biomes and getting to the 90 point tier in two flights, which is something). But the third one I think that came out pretty sweet.

It's the requisite 30 parts, and only parts of the lowest possible tech level to actually fly a plane... yet it is a full-fledged hydro plane, very maneuverable, stable, and capable of landing in a ton of places, thanks to a "suspension" on the rear wheels (they are wobbly) and the wide landing gear arrangement. And it is stable enough to fly without SAS, relying only on trim, so you can actually use a scientist for the flight and earn another boopload of science points in a single flight/rove/swim around KSC and its immediate surroundings.

Rune. With all the science it can get at 100% recovery, I'm thinking the next launch is already going to be a recoverable TSTM, A.K.A. something like my old Science-ER.

That is one sleek looking little craft, love it! Also I haven't messed with career mode in a couple years but after seeing this my globe runner would be nice for this work too.

Edited by castille7

On 02/04/2016 at 4:38 PM, castille7 said:

Ok here is my first craft build for 1.1, and I wanted it to be a little more dramatic then previous craft. After working with @Rune I now have an SSTO fever. My first experience with an SSTO was the K-Prize Challenge and I made that one by the skin of my teeth. That's when I realized SSTO craft are a very challenging craft to build. After my first go at being a Test Pilot with Rune's SSTO Beast Arrow I learned how much I didn't know about these majestic beast. After hours of engine swapping, mode changing, fuel balancing, electrical adjusting, takeoff exploding and most of all in the clutches of Kerbin's unforgiving gravity fight near 28k I am almost there, a few more test flights and no more tweaking I hope and this will be my second SSTO and one of my greatest achievements to date in KSP. I tell you with the weight of this craft slowly peeling off the runway it is so exciting and a cool experience. 

I wanted to name the craft persistent, something to that effect but decided to stick with Star Hunter

The first picture is Star Hunter now, the other pictures are where I was starting and how close I am to an Orbit so far.

Weight 68.8t

wow, that thing must be draggy as hell :) - maybe try to hide your RTGs in a cargo bay or a fairing :)

47 minutes ago, sgt_flyer said:

wow, that thing must be draggy as hell :) - maybe try to hide your RTGs in a cargo bay or a fairing :)

Thank you for the tip but, It's actually doing good and I like how it makes the complete section look like an engine of the future. I do like a realistic look but often choose this style because not many are doing it.

The generators on the fuselage are removed on the craft that's working, not the one in this photo. 

Edited by castille7

Been working on a nice 'lil 4x4 dune buggy now that I finally installed No Offset Limits. I really hope that mod gets updated to 1.1...

sFYbnRR.png

vh1hoES.png

I just need to complete some off-roading for testing, and then I'll likely have it up on the exchange!

I have been working on a small jet powered buggy

I hope it survives the 1.1 wheel update. It has spider engine suspension so it can manage some small bumps without being destroyed. I am not sure if the front looks right or not.  

3 hours ago, Darth Lazarus said:

since i'm testing the pre 1.1 .. i can finaly work again on new missions without lags during launch with high partcounts (around 400 parts per launch)

guess where this is going to be sent :D

It goes... To Eve? That's a Breeze-M, and Russians launch many probes at Venus right?

Now to my own update: Construction on HMS Hood has started! I've built 23 or so hull frames, to help guide the construction of the real hull.

1 hour ago, SaturnianBlue said:

It goes... To Eve? That's a Breeze-M, and Russians launch many probes at Venus right?

right direction, but wrong planet. this mission goes to Moho ... and it's a Block D upper stage. :)

but an Eve mission is on the drawingboard.

Edited by Darth Lazarus

18 minutes ago, Darth Lazarus said:

right direction, but wrong planet. this mission goes to Moho ... and it's a Block D upper stage. :)

but an Eve mission is on the drawingboard.

I meant a Block-D, but I mixed them up because I haven't though lab out that in quite a while. :P 

Starting building this sucker about 2 years ago, got to the point where it was almost finished too.  Then my Hard Drive in my computer crapped out, and i hadnt saved any pictures of the progress i had made that were recoverable.   Now here we are again, I am almost halfway done now but the lag is horrendous!  I have 2 more panels in orbit, waiting for a rendezvous manuever.  Currently i get a verey low frame rate, but im hoping the new update will help with that, once they get all the bugs sorted out.          

Someday i would love to Recruit a video maker dude to help me make an actual commercial with this.  The finished sign will say  "Kerba-KolaGivesLife"  double-sided.   Then, i want to put ANOTHER space banner in a retrograde orbit that says "DrinkTwang" and see if we cant crash em together and get it on video.  Or, at the very least it might summon a Kraken or two.  but thats cool too.  I have a pic with the lifter attached, pre take-off,  but its a night time pic.  I can throw it up too if anyones interested how i Brute-Forced this SOB into orbit.

Edited by Major Fleshwound