Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

22 hours ago, Triop said:

Update on the maze project:

KZtSrNK.png

I wanted to make this pure stock, but I do need KerbalJointReinforcement mod to keep it all together...<_<

Without:

xWUYQ12.png

What's wrong with the almighty (auto)struts?

7 minutes ago, Triop said:

(auto) struts?

Struts are ugly and this thing would need many of them...

I won't argue over the ugliness of struts but I don't think you'd need a lot of struts for this one. Maybe 4, placed at the right spots, creating triangles.

Or else just use autostruts, since those are invisible.

Edited by Azimech

21 minutes ago, Triop said:

Hmmm, would be nice not having to use the reiforcement mod...

Wanna have a go ?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ecz120yltk4ty1i/Maze.craft?dl=0

Okay, so it's a bit more than 4 struts. I didn't know the thing has 671 parts.

What you see here is the result of 8 struts. It's not perfect but I don't know the inner structure that well. I could return the craft file but the problem is, at the moment I'm running 1.2.9.1750 and craft saved are not backwards compatible.

Anyway, Suppose you'd need 20 struts total, on a part count of ~700 that's not really a problem. And the struts are hardly visible.

pV1NZrk.png

615wYil.png

Pretty impressive maze by the way! I'd totally use the ambient light function of 1.2.9 and install some creepy lights.

On 4/9/2017 at 11:05 AM, Triop said:

Update on the maze project:

I wanted to make this pure stock, but I do need KerbalJointReinforcement mod to keep it all together...<_<

Without:

If you place EAS-4 struts where needed, keeping them close to the ceiling it wouldn't look bad and you will still have room to walk around.....just an idea if you want to keep it stock.

4 minutes ago, Castille7 said:

If you place EAS-4 struts where needed, keeping them close to the ceiling it wouldn't look bad and you will still have room to walk around.....just an idea if you want to keep it stock.

To much work, if you want to take a look on the inside of the maze, download link is above your post.

- Love your bridge work btw. :cool:

2 hours ago, Triop said:

To much work, if you want to take a look on the inside of the maze, download link is above your post.

- Love your bridge work btw. :cool:

Thank you, that bridge is becoming a smaller looking project every day, the structure is not handling reenrty from a game save, fighting with it daily. Not a recommended thing to do on the water.

I've made a few different craft since I last posted.

First up, the Hamilton IFV. Armed with 1 semi-rifled 120 mm gun and fitted for, but not with, both an autoloader and CROWS IIA weapons station, it's got plenty of firepower. 

The rear half of the turret is empty to house the developmental autoloader. Gun is capable of +45/-5 degrees elevation and depression.

The unique feature of the vehicle is its incorporation of a quasi-race ball bearing. This is my first attempt at it, but the bearing's qualities continue to impress, and I also plan on adopting it for naval vessels to mount gun turrets.

Race ball bearing, which allows for a much more stable turret.

snip20170410231258.png

snip20170411230444.png

snip20170411230646.pngsnip20170411235529.png

Next is the Navigation class corvette. Armed with 4 deck launched cruise missiles, 8 short VLS cells, 1 phalanx 1A 20 mm CIWS, and a hangar equipped with a door capable of hosting 1-2 UAV's, she's good enough for patrol duties. To top it all off, she has a top speed of around 26-34 m/s.

Hangar door.

snip20170218171528.png

snip20170218171356.png

snip20170218171910.png

Finally, the Tsushima class corvette. Inspired by the Russian Project 20381 class corvettes, she has 4 deck launched cruise missiles, 8 longer defense length VLS cells in the front, 1 phalanx 1B 20 mm CIWS, and a hangar equipped with a door capable of hosting 1-2 UAV's.

She has a nice superstructure. Deck launchers can be substituted with additional VLS cells for strike weapons.

ssnip20170410195617.png

.snip20170410191607.png

snip20170410191651.png

Edited by andrew123

Honey, I shrunk the Thermometer-Hinge...

TMDQ8SH.png

Since I'm on spring break---away from JotD--- I can focus on some personal favorite aircraft that I previously had no time for.

I have since built the rest of the plane this micro-hinge was designed for, any guesses as to what it is?

Anv5TwI.png

S2UHWNF.png

Edited by NorthAmericanAviation

2 hours ago, qzgy said:

Yak 36

300px-Yakovlev_Yak-36_in_July_1967_(3).j

Yup! It will break my trend of only U.S. built craft once I upload it, and having handled a few VTOL KSP craft before I can say with confidence that it will be one of the easier ones to fly.
(and its got that cool swivel-blower hookup---hype!)

I mean, as much as any VTOL is 'easy to fly,' hehe:cool:

25 minutes ago, Triop said:

Over Engineering...Again...

vFX1PQR.png

j47fifc.png

Now I want to make a bridge like @Castille7 did...:cool:

Wow thank you! Also I seriously don't recommend building Bridges on the water and only little ones on land. The structure has to be very strong for physics right now. This is something I've been fighting for a long time, and why it's taking me so long to release the ones I am working on.

Just now, Castille7 said:

Wow thank you! Also I seriously don't recommend building Bridges on the water and only little ones on land. The structure has to be very strong for physics right now. This is something I've been fighting for a long time, and why it's taking me so long to release the ones I am working on.

The goal :

x5O7UNs.png

I know the Kraken is going to come for me, but I'm gonna give him one Hell of a fight. :cool:

I'm going to take him on as a tribute to all your hard work. :lol:

Wish me luck, I'll need it.

e8uvMc9.png

Luck, and a whoooole lota struts...

Docking barge with bridge section:

rjahwGb.png

ZDGFVu1.png

Next up : more engines, top speed 1.0 gets us nowhere...

WhpKxVi.png

SHLQdSS.png

No Kraken yet... ^_^

Sorry bout the night pictures, we need lights.

The only mod I'm using for now is Vesselmover to save me time testing.

Edited by Triop