Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

I've been too busy with KSP to do too much in-game for the past two weeks, but I broke my streak today. I'm continuing preparations for XotD, so I modified my F-16 into a F-16XL, a cranked arrow tailless delta wing design.

pUuYisN.png

I'm not quite sure on specifics, but I think that it outperforms the original F-16 at altitude and in speed dashes, though its slightly less maneuverable. The wing shape was a challenge to get right, though I think I did a good job while also incorporating leading-edge slats for the first time on one of my builds.

tgessAo.png

Here's some "Work-In-Progress-ness" from today:

Xj8OQUL.jpg

Keeping it together using landing legs proved unsuccessful, as the legs were overstressed by any turn. If I want to keep from using docking ports, I need a way to turn each face from the outside instead of from the center, and still be able to get that mechanism out of the way for the next turn. I've thought of an external rotator ship, but that would likely turn out just as cumbersome to manipulate as the docking port cube. The cube itself is pretty decent at staying together, except during attempted turns (which serve only to push pieces away from the cube as the center piece spins in place).

Stock amphibious colonization truck. Drive/sail to your wanted location and you'll have a base instantly. Two J-33 turbofans, ISRU, two drills, 32 kerbals, two Claws, fuel cell array, huge radiator, 4 giant solar panels, comms dish, ore scanner.

Safe/economy thrust setting: 33% - on flat terrain that gives a top speed of around 80m/s.

Range: probably 2000km.

Only 84 parts.

Edited by Azimech

1 hour ago, aagun123 said:

Wonderful, 5 stars !

:rep::rep::rep::rep::rep:

Welcome to the forum. ^_^

Finished testing my new hangar, got a direct hit (500 lb bomb) that ripped the hangar wide open, but the plane is still intact.

3fSRA2g.png

ETclMTg.png

bk3geyX.png

This project is closed.

16 hours ago, Yukon0009 said:

U5RaYxH.png

What was this part for? Holding the cube together before it decouples or something? :P

Yes. Each part needs to be completely free from the rest of the cube, so I need an external mechanism to attach every part before "launch".

7 minutes ago, Triop said:

Finally learned how to paint stock parts...

Going to do some more :cool:

I read there was some progress, they might have kerbpaint working again soon, or did you change the texture dds?

Edited by selfish_meme