Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

For larger cockpits, I put 2 Mk2 inline cockpits together back to back, then connect them with seismitrons, or whatever the large dark grey science experiments are called. They have blue rounded edges along the sides, and you can offset the main part of the experiment inside the cockpits showing along a rounded edge connecting the two. I believe the seismitron edges are the closest match to cockpit blue in the game, and there is no white writing or obvious edges like with graviolis, as it's smoothed. (This also has the benefit of allowing unobstructed IVAs)

Edit: as for what I'm doing in KSP, not much. I've been taking a little break to play Breath of the Wild, which is brilliant. But the thing I did was probably rework my Hornet's intakes. The old ones were, to be honest, pretty terrible. They were too small, too high up, and the casing was far too part count intensive and completely inaccurate. So I reworked it, replacing it with a fairing that, with offset trickery, appears to be open, with the outer edge about halfway in size between 0.625 and 1.25. I covered the opening up with the backs of generators to hide the indside of the fairing, and I had a much more accurate intake that also had the benefit of cutting 20 parts off my replica.

Edited by MiffedStarfish

1 hour ago, He_162 said:

Future me is probably watching current me build this :)

yDLBZmQ.png

I haven't been following your build very closely.  Are there plans to have the wheels pivot?  Or do they already?

1 hour ago, klond said:

I haven't been following your build very closely.  Are there plans to have the wheels pivot?  Or do they already?

I do have plans to do that, although I don't think it's possible without major clipping, and there is not even enough room for a hinge in there, so I don't think I'll end up doing that, I'll just have it keep the wheels down, and put some landing gear in there to give it the ability to drive at least straight forward.

14 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

I just tried making a F-15 cockpit with spectro variometers, what do you think?

u8q1YKB.jpg

It has a functioning IVA, which is barely obstructed at all.

Is it possible to make them "smoother" at all? I'd like to see less lines in there. (I'm extremely picky.)

14 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

u8q1YKB.jpg

IMO... eh. Not really a fan.

Today, some form of monster was made.

hSaoqaQ.png

Not finished yet. Need to do stuff to take it off of infinite fuel and test the tiltwing mechanism in flight.

Edited by qzgy

hSaoqaQ.png

That... thing... is monstrous! THE END IS NIGH!

I threw that one together pretty quickly, it's not my best. Spectro varithingy cockpits don't look the best, but they blend into the cockpit from a distance, and I think it's worth it for the IVA. @Gman_builder 52, but I tend to ignore part count when building full scale replicas.

19 hours ago, MiffedStarfish said:

Personaly I prefer an open cockpit. Yes you dont get IVA as such but you can have an ejector seat. :D And you can design a nice looking interior that, for me, boosts the imersion.

26 minutes ago, Castille7 said:

Here is a sneak peek and or kinda hit on the next K&S Technologies Group (Klond & Sector 7) project

Would you guys be interested in working together on a dark multiplayer server? I could host said server most days of the week, I'd have to get a system specifically set up to run it though, which wouldn't be an issue, I have several on hand.

You could chat directly, maybe even use Discord, or Teamspeak, and look at, via screenshot, or ingame next to each other's crafts, as well as have that kind of "teamwork", I think it would be a great idea.

If enough people want to do this, I could let anyone who wanted to join (I would have to moderate it, and make sure no one is griefing other people, I.E. blowing up space stations)

Edited by He_162

First run of my first stock piston engine with camshaft & valves. Reliable but slow. Power: 2 Juno's per cylinder. Current speed tops out at around 4 rad/s but the construction can handle much more, at least 12 rad/s. There's a lot that can be improved but at least I've proven myself I can do it.

24 minutes ago, He_162 said:

Would you guys be interested in working together on a dark multiplayer server? I could host said server most days of the week, I'd have to get a system specifically set up to run it though, which wouldn't be an issue, I have several on hand.

You could chat directly, maybe even use Discord, or Teamspeak, and look at, via screenshot, or ingame next to each other's crafts, as well as have that kind of "teamwork", I think it would be a great idea.

If enough people want to do this, I could let anyone who wanted to join (I would have to moderate it, and make sure no one is griefing other people, I.E. blowing up space stations)

Thank you so much, this is a very kind offer, but I will have to pass. :blush: I may be up for it in the future, right now is not a good time for me.

My retard was showing

2 hours ago, He_162 said:

Yeah for sure thatd be dope

2 hours ago, Azimech said:

First run of my first stock piston engine with camshaft & valves. Reliable but slow. Power: 2 Juno's per cylinder. Current speed tops out at around 4 rad/s but the construction can handle much more, at least 12 rad/s. There's a lot that can be improved but at least I've proven myself I can do it.

I make a piston plane and Azimechs sudddenly interested in inlines.... interesting XDXDXD

14 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

My retard was showing

I make a piston plane and Azimechs sudddenly interested in inlines.... interesting XDXDXD

You do remember my work from last year, right? ;-)

3 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

My retard was showing

Just PM me if you're interested in having it up, and tell me what times you want it up

Well, I managed to take it off of infinite fuel and did a full transition

2kPw96Z.png

Although the blades are spinning at about 30 rad/s each, I might have to just concede that turboprops aren't powerful enough as they are and add a couple wheesleys for the little bit of extra oomph.

41 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Well, I managed to take it off of infinite fuel and did a full transition

2kPw96Z.png

Although the blades are spinning at about 30 rad/s each, I might have to just concede that turboprops aren't powerful enough as they are and add a couple wheesleys for the little bit of extra oomph.

Depends on a number of factors. It takes a long time to mature an engine design. During 0.90 I built a thrust measuring device, AFAIK the only measuring equipment in KSP. It's obsolete and non-functional now.

The best ways to improve the breed:

1. Mount the engine on a stand and measure the lift produced on the propeller/rotor blades. Great for measuring static thrust and to improve efficiency/power of your engine.
  2. Install a single engine on an airplane and improve it until you can't beat your own speed record anymore. Great for improving propeller designs.

I believe @EpicSpaceTroll139 made measurements which prove a stock helicopter has more lifting power than the sum of the blowers would suggest.

1 hour ago, Azimech said:

Depends on a number of factors. It takes a long time to mature an engine design. During 0.90 I built a thrust measuring device, AFAIK the only measuring equipment in KSP. It's obsolete and non-functional now.

The best ways to improve the breed:

1. Mount the engine on a stand and measure the lift produced on the propeller/rotor blades. Great for measuring static thrust and to improve efficiency/power of your engine.
  2. Install a single engine on an airplane and improve it until you can't beat your own speed record anymore. Great for improving propeller designs.

I believe @EpicSpaceTroll139 made measurements which prove a stock helicopter has more lifting power than the sum of the blowers would suggest.

Hmm. Okay, I'll try seeing if the engine can be improved.

On 8/5/2017 at 9:37 AM, MiffedStarfish said:

u8q1YKB.jpg

It's a really good color.

22 hours ago, Azimech said:

First run of my first stock piston engine with camshaft & valves.

Well you certainly got my attention.  Your gears keep time pretty well?  Slipping gears made me shy away from attempting this sort of thing.

38 minutes ago, klond said:

It's a really good color.

Well you certainly got my attention.  Your gears keep time pretty well?  Slipping gears made me shy away from attempting this sort of thing.

Yes, I had it running (reaction wheel powered and at a modest speed, valve timing was still a mess) for 4.5 hours during the night, no problems at all, not a single slip.

Recently I discovered the fantastic properties of sphere colliders. Mesh colliders are messy and need too many calculations. Plus the properties of box colliders as well are nothing to write home about.

Sphere colliders ... man I wish I discovered them ages ago. Super slick and strong bearings, valve guides, piston guides, gears etc. You could say my new engine has a lot of balls XD.

I'm now busy with improving clearances, balancing the crankshaft, maybe tune the valve timing and cam height a little bit more to see if I can get more speed out of it (it already went up from 4 to 7 rad/s at 50% throttle). Also the cam followers need some more work. I've increased the amount of Juno's to 6 per cylinder and this seems to be max without a cooling system, otherwise the valves go poof. But a cooling system is heavy which would increase the load on the cams, camshaft and ultimately rob the engine of power and decrease max RPM.