Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Here's an SSTO I've been working on and tested recently. I just made an Orbit of 104 m and returned to KSC. I am using only the R.A.P.I.E.R.'s at takeoff and switching over to the Atomic Motors to complete Orbit. Making Re-entry with very little fuel and handling fairly well during landing. The wide body of Nova7 is allowing really nice Aerobraking.

Nova7

FImgRDA.png

Spoiler

N0AjX4O.png

VLyoQNi.png

nuNl5sM.png

QNhl35D.png

f6qCeNC.png

VmrP1Gh.png

ij4RS6Z.png

Figured I could end my long absence with an update on some craft I left to collect dust a while ago. Those craft are the Saturn V and Space Shuttle. Getting straight to the changes, I tried to improve the way the Saturn V looked with the stripes by reducing the width of the black stripes, and "painting" the half of the engine fairings on the S-IC booster shown here:

NtcktHi.png

I also attempted to reduce the amount of parts the interstage. New part count is 1,212 (increased due to the addition of fuel cells). 

The Space Shuttle, on the other hand, received minor changes. The SRBs and External Tank were changed slightly. The ET is more accurate in looks as well as the boosters. 

xko0rqL.png

14 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

You are the only other person I have seen make a nose like that. That probe core plus that little nose cone are perfect together. :wink:

To be honest I got that idea from your Shuttle that left quite an impression on me. I too think that it looks better than any old nosecone. 

On 7/25/2017 at 4:59 PM, qzgy said:

(ssnnnniiipppp.)Camera Tools just allows for cooler shots that are harder to get normally, such as flybys

I prefer KerbCam(yes it works in 1.3). I tried camera tools, but i couldn't find any tutorials and i couldn't get it to work by myself. KerbCam has a simpler interface and a bunch of videos showing you how to use it.

9 hours ago, Munbro Kerman said:

To be honest I got that idea from your Shuttle that left quite an impression on me. I too think that it looks better than any old nosecone. 

Well then I feel very proud. I must say you did amazing work on the OMS pods man, they look super authentic.

Colonization vehicle for the glorious effort to populate Laythe!

8OoQMsN.png

It's a very good truck and boat, with mining facility. It can also fly but is not very good at it. Can also be used on Kerbin. Maximum range in the water can be obtained with throttle at 33%.

UBTCYnu.png

Landing on Laythe is easy, I just de-orbit and let it tumble, it won't overheat and easily slows down to subsonic. Touch down should be done on solid ground using parachutes, otherwise some nosecones might break.

DNI2YCZ.png

Now I only need to build a launch vehicle for it.

Big improvement.

MVVhr3x.png

Xr1TX2z.png

035d5DI.png

32 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

Speaking of launch vehicles, 1.3.1 had the added bonus of finally making this work

bTdX7WI.jpg

Until you went to stage it ;.;

UPXxHzx.jpg

But by adding copius radiators :D

sPxfjO7.jpg

That's 440 parts, time to add some details!

Ah, the radiators are to prevent the crawler from melting, got it.

rNdMg6W.png

Currently working on something a little different. It's a custom railway gun that i call "Goliath".

I wanted to test that the thing can actually stay together, and that the gun can elevate before i start working on the firing mechanism, or the reload mechanism.

There is a chance that this may not work at all, but in case it does, it should be pretty powerful, as it will fire 1000mm rocket propelled HE-shells.

Currently there are quite a lot of issues on the carriage that need fixing, it wants to sag from the middle to the point it touches the ground, the suspension in the wheels is so loose that the thing falls over without support legs and i can't really make the suspension any tighter because it will start to spazz around and 70% of the wheels will pop.

But, at-least the barrel is fine and doesn't turn into a banana like i originally feared.

This idea is also inspired by a little experiment i did a while ago.

iGP02jx.png

j4TW0S3.png

I wanted to experiment with the idea of creating a super realistic AT-gun/Howitzer that fires custom built shells.

It includes semi realistic gun recoil, gun elevation, and a working breech block type breech mechanism that are all IR operated.

It also includes a custom HE-grenade that leaves an empty shell behind. Unfortunetly it's a bit unreliable, and needs some fixing.

Also, it's a bit impossible to reload this thing without using some rediculous looking magazine on 4 legs that has a piston that hopefully pushes the shell all the way inside the barrel.

I will probably go back at some point and try to fix these problems.