GusTurbo

Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

Many moons ago, long before the Making History expansion I built a refueling SSTO on request from another forum user, and it was glorious and huge.PKTMjIv.png

Then Making History came out, and I went off to play other games, and time passed.  But now I have returned and discovered that my previously huge SSTO is no longer so impressive, so I have set out to build a replacement that is bigger and impressiver than ever before, even though impressiver isn't a word.

QRckJdJ.png

That's right, 5m tanks baby!  512t of payload and more engines than a Russian rocket designers wet dream.  I just have to figure out how to get it to orbit without the wings overheating.  The radiators don't seem to be doing the trick.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Thor Wotansen said:

I just have to figure out how to get it to orbit without the wings overheating.  The radiators don't seem to be doing the trick.

Add moar boosters. Duh.

If that don't work (I cannot fathom why it wouldn't), I think that you should increase the AOA so you Ascend Out of Atmosphere. At this point, your plane is basically a rocket at high speeds, so fly it like a rocket and your problems should disappear.

LHja3YR.png

Irk67RM.png

0WNKOE3.png

CLx4xM1.png

8Fn64L6.png

ouy38bh.png

Gmoyvup.png

:ph34r:

• Like 1

Working on something that uses airbrakes to hide the engines. Pretty nice view with them deployed.
ApFOL3j.png

Problem is that the wings will flex though. Gonna find a way to stop that somehow. Never had this issue in my previous designs.

1ro1EfJ.png

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Mignear said:

Problem is that the wings will flex though. Gonna find a way to stop that somehow. Never had this issue in my previous designs.

Autostrut perhaps? Or just even normal struts? 

Make sure you only autostrut the tips, unless you want your wings falling off randomly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

1 hour ago, Thor Wotansen said:

Make sure you only autostrut the tips, unless you want your wings falling off randomly.

Looks like I missed out that autostrut has been a thing. Just turned it on and it fixed the issue. Thanks guys.
Cuts down on part count as well, which is great. It was hitting 100 parts with struts and still had that issue to a lesser degree, now its completely solved.

E3FTNcM.png

2 hours ago, qzgy said:

1 hour ago, Thor Wotansen said:

I will always use grandparent autostruts for all wing parts. This way, it is a bit more flexible in high-g maneuvers but not too flexible. I also use normal struts if the wing is multiple parts long at the base so that I can have one part as the root for the whole wing (makes moving it around easier) but still have all the base wing surfaces firmly attached to the fuselage. This strategy has yet to fail me.

I've become distracted from my 5m double fuselage fuel tanker SSTO by the thought that I might make it into a cargo SSTO as well.  Sadly Squad has not yet seen fit to give us a 5m cargo bay, so I set about making one with fairings, but there's a hitch; when I undock the pieces of SSTO to pull the cargo rack out of the fairing, the pieces act like they're one craft, even though they're not.  I have yet to play around with decouplers or stack seperators, but so far the system has required staging the fairing, which defeats the purpose.  Any tips or advise with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

NHHuMpH.png

RXwyPr9.png

4eRniOR.png

• Like 4

"LIGHTHOUSE POINT"
Update: 08.10.2018

I may have to re-think the shingles, the part count is putting a hurting on my graphics card. These are the small fuel cells.

UGYFt2g.png

Spoiler

bNJuIU7.png

TP5PpQm.png

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Thor Wotansen said:

I've become distracted from my 5m double fuselage fuel tanker SSTO by the thought that I might make it into a cargo SSTO as well.  Sadly Squad has not yet seen fit to give us a 5m cargo bay, so I set about making one with fairings, but there's a hitch; when I undock the pieces of SSTO to pull the cargo rack out of the fairing, the pieces act like they're one craft, even though they're not.  I have yet to play around with decouplers or stack seperators, but so far the system has required staging the fairing, which defeats the purpose.  Any tips or advise with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thats a really neat/funky design. I like it. To your problem though, have you checked that the fairing isn't clipping into the actual sliders/rails? Perhaps moving the rails inwards a bit would help.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Castille7 said:

"LIGHTHOUSE POINT"
Update: 08.10.2018

I may have to re-think the shingles, the part count is putting a hurting on my graphics card. These are the small fuel cells.

<snip>

Reveal hidden contents

bNJuIU7.png

TP5PpQm.png

3227 parts... GOOD KRAKEN!  My head hurts just thinking about the lag that must cause... good luck with that lol! :D 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, qzgy said:

Thats a really neat/funky design. I like it. To your problem though, have you checked that the fairing isn't clipping into the actual sliders/rails? Perhaps moving the rails inwards a bit would help.

Yes I have, that's the first thing I checked actually. Nothing is clipping except whatever happens at the end where the fairing snaps to close on the 5m-3.75m adapter.  I intend to try a decoupler there and make the cargo bay a one time open and close deal.

I present the Pika infinity X

N0y7KDt.png

NO its not the yellow thing its the White thing in the back.

Right now it can only fly on kerbin.But soon it will be flaying all over space.

The design is inspiredA.K.A:Tottaly riped off.the starting craft of No mans sky.