Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

@ yukon0009 it's not too big :) i tried to use roughly the same scale than my R-7 booster :) besides, the big tanks are only there for the look - those big fuel tanks are empty. there are some rockomax tanks clipped inside the empty fuel tanks to provide the fuel for the engines :)

Zond + blok D

n3uK4I4l.jpg

Edited by sgt_flyer

That proton seems a little too big, but apart from that, I like what I see.

I need help on this CZ-3 rocket, I cannot seem to get the size right, any suggestions?

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah315/Yukon0009/screenshot22976_zps9yutptp1.png

Mmh - CZ-3 core is larger than the boosters - all in all, i'd say that your core needs to fatten a bit :)

CZ-3 core is 3.3m wide, while the boosters are 2.25m wide. the upper stage is 3m wide.

So you either need to build it slightly larger than life by using emptied kerbodynes as the core stage body, or thin the boosters somewhere between 1.25m and 2.5m :)

Try clipping 2 mainsails (x5) .. should give you enough TWR just put a bit less fuel since your dV will a lot larger with 10 mainsails compared to these monsters.. and it will look better too since you can push the engines a bit further into the skirting.. Let me know if you need an image of what I mean..

Try clipping 2 mainsails (x5) .. should give you enough TWR just put a bit less fuel since your dV will a lot larger with 10 mainsails compared to these monsters.. and it will look better too since you can push the engines a bit further into the skirting.. Let me know if you need an image of what I mean..

I agree on this. It's what I did for mine, although I have an experimental version that uses only 6 Mainsails (2 in the center). Not sure how I feel about that, but it definitely saves parts.

So I'm working with this new rocket... I originally wanted to land it back at KSC (after launching almost straight up). But that flight plan turned out to be too aggressive with fuel, so instead I would like to land it on a floating platform 100 or so kilometers away.

EPoPU0I.png

I made this boat, this version is the prototype.

gQEMIzv.png

TEST 1:

I never use Mechjeb's autopilot... So I told it to land on the barge.:sealed:

BnzOFCU.jpg

TEST 2:

Here I am using Mechjeb's "Landing Predictions" while manually steering the rocket to keep on course. This is much more promising.

IUUqr9G.jpg

Opps

mUjFxuO.png

TEST 3:

IT WORKED! Wait, is it just me or is the boat capsizing....

P5de8Sw.png

Shoot

1KU0jLq.png

TEST 4:

Ok a little more in the center this time

rH3Bdb4.jpg

We're gonna need a bigger boat.

2Gd3wkO.png

There are 10 of those monsters in the rocket. First stage.

@yukon0009 - you should try to use parts with no fuel crossfeed and fuel lines from only a center tank, and emptying the others tanks (this way, the fuel gauge will remain accurate, and you'll be able to minimise the fuel + thrust accross each stage.)

one possibility is to create the 'core' fuel tank + engine system with some margins to account for the upcoming body dry weight, then radially attach empty kerbodyne tanks around your core fuel system.

Edited by sgt_flyer

Yes, on both the first and the second stage, the center engines were cut off earlier than the others, to limit the acceleration of the rocket.

Ah okay. Thanks.

edit:

Ah dammit, on my S-V the center engine flames out after the other engines.......gotta change that....

Edited by Yukon0009

I just made a RoveMax S2 based rotor that works without breaking! And can lift payloads up to 5tons, the limitation being the suspension spring (deduce its own mass = 1-2 tons). But it's not finished yet (no fuel etc..)

The part count is high because the blade are 8-way symmetry with a lot of cubic strut each. This was a simple way to optimize lift over mass.

The rotor itself is less than 60 parts and uses 16 wheels in 4 way symmetry, along with rather heavy structural parts for stability.

I'll try building a lighter variant soon.

mYi6l3v.jpg

Edited by RevanCorana

I've got to say, assembling my latest Jool armada with the last-minute changes is yielding some amazing pic ops!

Y2JUsx1.png

YZigA58.png

7wADNtK.png

Though probably I won't be able to handle the part count for a departure burn, I'm trying securing those Eagles in place with KAS struts. So far they have too much reaction wheel power for them to stay rigid! Which is probably for the best... part count would be less than half for the finished ship without them, and they can do the trip on their own perfectly fine under autopilot. But you know, this series of pics are their own reward!

Also, lots of drive pods in the bay of that Dao derivative (that I might yet release as an update) to give this a somewhat decent TWR. That is kind of the main point of the flight, plus refueling. I love those little things! I can just hang them on any of the ring standard ports, and they draw fuel just fine. :)

Rune. A cool screenie is worth a thousand words.

Edited by Rune

I've got to say, assembling my latest Jool armada with the last-minute changes is yielding some amazing pic ops!

http://i.imgur.com/Y2JUsx1.png

http://i.imgur.com/YZigA58.png

http://i.imgur.com/7wADNtK.png

Though probably I won't be able to handle the part count for a departure burn, I'm trying securing those Eagles in place with KAS struts. So far they have too much reaction wheel power for them to stay rigid! Which is probably for the best... part count would be less than half for the finished ship without them, and they can do the trip on their own perfectly fine under autopilot. But you know, this series of pics are their own reward!

Also, lots of drive pods in the bay of that Dao derivative (that I might yet release as an update) to give this a somewhat decent TWR. That is kind of the main point of the flight, plus refueling. I love those little things! I can just hang them on any of the ring standard ports, and they draw fuel just fine. :)

Rune. A cool screenie is worth a thousand words.

Looking good Rune.

Your first trip outside the Kerbin system I presume from what you've said in the past. Shame it wont work as stock though.

Looking good Rune.

Your first trip outside the Kerbin system I presume from what you've said in the past. Shame it wont work as stock though.

Oh, it's like the nth one I've launched. The problem is midway through the trip the games changes versions on me and bugs the save file! Anyhow, maybe I'll get some pics on orbit around Jool this time before 1.0 hits me like a hammer? xD

And don't worry the other stack is 100% stock. As are the three logistics bundles. As I said, a true armada :). But since I had the Eagles with the karbonite modules there (which themselves have KAS containers for pipes and stuff) I said, what the hell, I almost never do this. That one is going to have to remain stable on it's own, but I have no fears: puller config with the nukes around the big ring, and all the cargo hanging from the lower one in line with the center of mass. I also won't have the Eagle's massive amount of hidden reaction wheel trying to screw me up.

Rune. The idea here is to also use the nukes on the Eagles. So beautifully complicated....

Oh, it's like the nth one I've launched. The problem is midway through the trip the games changes versions on me and bugs the save file! Anyhow, maybe I'll get some pics on orbit around Jool this time before 1.0 hits me like a hammer? xD

And don't worry the other stack is 100% stock. As are the three logistics bundles. As I said, a true armada :). But since I had the Eagles with the karbonite modules there (which themselves have KAS containers for pipes and stuff) I said, what the hell, I almost never do this. That one is going to have to remain stable on it's own, but I have no fears: puller config with the nukes around the big ring, and all the cargo hanging from the lower one in line with the center of mass. I also won't have the Eagle's massive amount of hidden reaction wheel trying to screw me up.

Rune. The idea here is to also use the nukes on the Eagles. So beautifully complicated....

Why didn't you reach the places you launched to?

Why didn't you reach the places you launched to?

Because once the expedition is underway, I start working on the next one! :D Right now there's also a bunch of stuff going to Moho on that save (It's actually form 0.25, so probably a bit outdated, but I think I can cope, and since it's manned, I better do!), and next up I have a couple of inbound E-Class Potatoroids to capture, before the Duna departure window. Next (and we are talking at least weeks of real time here, considering how long/fast I play) is a period of calm in interplanetary launches, and the Kerbin system is pretty crowded already with pretty much everything updated to the current version, so I'll probably run the clock fast enough to actually get somewhere. Maybe throw in another Munar polar base.

Rune. I wouldn't be able to play without Kerbal Alarm Clock!

Because once the expedition is underway, I start working on the next one! :D Right now there's also a bunch of stuff going to Moho on that save (It's actually form 0.25, so probably a bit outdated, but I think I can cope, and since it's manned, I better do!), and next up I have a couple of inbound E-Class Potatoroids to capture, before the Duna departure window. Next (and we are talking at least weeks of real time here, considering how long/fast I play) is a period of calm in interplanetary launches, and the Kerbin system is pretty crowded already with pretty much everything updated to the current version, so I'll probably run the clock fast enough to actually get somewhere. Maybe throw in another Munar polar base.

Rune. I wouldn't be able to play without Kerbal Alarm Clock!

But.. but.. don't you want to arrive at a place after making a craft to go there? Do you not want to use timewarp? Oh man, my desire to land everywhere was just too great. I sat though so many protracted timewarp sessions in the early days..

But.. but.. don't you want to arrive at a place after making a craft to go there? Do you not want to use timewarp? Oh man, my desire to land everywhere was just too great. I sat though so many protracted timewarp sessions in the early days..

I like to think I am pacing myself. But also, there's the "let's not waste time!" appeal to it. And honestly? By the time I finish something it's not long before I come up with a way to do better, frankly. Beside, you and me are builders, so you will understand how the VAB beckons to try something new the second you know the last thing works...

Rune. In any case, I will have a lot of places to plant a flag on after 1.0 is out. :)