Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

I like to think I am pacing myself. But also, there's the "let's not waste time!" appeal to it. And honestly? By the time I finish something it's not long before I come up with a way to do better, frankly. Beside, you and me are builders, so you will understand how the VAB beckons to try something new the second you know the last thing works...

Rune. In any case, I will have a lot of places to plant a flag on after 1.0 is out. :)

Yeah I understand the building bug man. And I will admit to being a little Jelous of the fact that all those worlds still wait to be explored by you. I kinda regret visiting them all so quickly!

Good news! I have rebuilt the previously destroyed boat. It is now a 26 by 26 meter square.

ySgVzNB.jpg

Coming in!

khTT18W.jpg

Notice the severe buckling of the deck under the thrust of the engines...

H1hSkjY.png

Landed!

Lal8jS7.png

...and yes, it can remain stable as long as the SAS is not turned off.

Because of the many downloads of my A.P.E Lander, I've done a new version, lighter , stronger, better :D

Still testing it, sneak peak:

arzalTB.jpg

Actually, here it is but still a (fully working) WIP : https://www./?dcdxeq0vvyl5fxf

I'm linking this version because I'm restarting the frame from scratch around xenon tanks this time because they drain fuel evenly without fuel lines,

and I-beam waste too much mass for ION engines to be fun.

Edited by RevanCorana

Test flight of my ion powered interplanetary ship

http://imgur.com/a/YMHjv

This looks really cool, but it also reminds me how infuriating is it that there are no high-capacity Xenon tanks. The part count must make the (already long) burns excruciating!

Rune. It's the only thing stopping me using ions since we got the "prograde" autopilot.

This looks really cool, but it also reminds me how infuriating is it that there are no high-capacity Xenon tanks. The part count must make the (already long) burns excruciating!

Rune. It's the only thing stopping me using ions since we got the "prograde" autopilot.

About 600 parts... To make it able to actually fly i have to reduce parts count with UbioZur Welding

It's a shame that such an amazing kind of propulsion can't be really used for something of more "serious" than probe :(

note from KSC's central kitchen : the guy who stole our Pressure cooker to make a rover is asked to give it back... - we need it to make today's meals !

(now with more of my microhinges - those allow me to create a much wider range of payloads for my upcoming soviet rockets than previously ^^)

and as always, full stock :)

Y7h10PRl.jpg

DsRziQCl.jpg

iuH2KbSl.jpg

Edited by sgt_flyer

@Darnok i first built those microhinges while trying to create those stock grid fins here :

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/112710-Deployable-grid-fins-tests-%28now-with-Micro-Hinge-Technology-%21%29

It's basically built around two LV1-R engine nozzles locked between 3 parts in a triangle shape - here, 2 ox-stats solar panels and the docking port jr - all moved around thanks to the rotation and translation tools :)

The top cover is linked with the body with a small decoupler, and has the docking port + oxstats assembly. The two lv1-Rs are part of the rover's body. Once the top cover is decoupled, physics kicks in and the nozzles stay inside the triangle created by the cover's assembly :)

The 'cover' is moved with the use of a separatron (set at minimal thrust&fuel) hidden inside the rover's body. Once fully deployed, the cover docks back onto the rover :P

Edited by sgt_flyer

I am trying to build a Colonial Viper MkII from Battlestar Galactica (the reimagined series). There's still a lot of work to do, but I feel it's at least taking shape :)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I'd like to rebuild the nose next, because mk2 fuselages are just too wide. Any ideas as to which parts might be suitable? (Can't use too many lift generating parts, this design is horribly backside heavy)

Ever feel like you have to compile a to do list? Well here's my WIP.

Research, test, and compile a new multiplayer modpack for gotr.us

Republish my SSI craft files and give them all a .90 aesthetics update.

Publish a new SSI catalog

Reboot SSI rocket builder thread OP.

Launch new SSI Universe multiplayer server.

Design my first STS Fuel Pod capable SSTO lifter.

Maintain the STS Challenges thread.

Maintain STS subassembly library.

Record a detailed how to video on space shuttle construction and design techniques.

Record an SSI showcase video.

Design an SSI certified shuttlecraft capable of looking awesome while also able to fit in a cargo bay.

Test dual kracken drive nacelle concepts.

Design a Defiant class replica powered by kdrive and capable of stowing an SSI shuttlecraft.

If I had more time (and I don't):

This Week on the Spacecraft Exchange Youtube series

Host and manage a KSP forum multiplayer universe.

Work on KerbalCentral.com

...no wonder I have never been out past Duna...

Edited by inigma

This is probably the last update on my SpaceX style reusable rocket, since it is pretty much complete.

This time I'm launching a solar panel array (and this is only the first section). I have no idea why the guys up in the station are requesting power generation of this scale, maybe I should investigate...

gHsCVNV.png

During a "simulation" it was found that while the rocket could land, during that time the second stage reentered and was lost. The issue is that the 1st stage finishes it's launch with an AP of around 90km (going straight up), the 2nd stage decouples at about 40 km to burn to orbit. However this payload was so heavy that it could not get going fast enough to give me time to land the rocket. This was resolved by adding a second Skipper engine to increase the TwR.

ypWmMPf.png

Unfortunately I have no pictures or evidence of the landing because the video up-link was lost when the rocket went below the horizon.:huh:No, really, I swear I mashed F1 plenty of times, the pics just didn't show up