Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

The Marathon light cruiser, a new ship class based on the Pegasus/Stargazer concept that'll be put into service ASAP.

CUCG5GX.png

These images show a slightly different iteration to the current version.

tYRn72F.png

I've also put together a version that uses an independent centrifuge (Porkjet's Habitat Pack) in place of the torus, though I prefer the torus version at the moment.

o3YI0gV.png

Very WIP, all stock. Using my PO2 engines as a base, I've made a bi-directional variant. One turboshaft per wheel. Steering is done by braking on the bearing of either front wheel. All four wheels are powered. The base of the shape is the Citroën BX, a car I own myself.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The right shape and size are slowly emerging.

Edited by Azimech

Something I wanted to do for a long time ... I had a driving chassis in less than one hour, was a bit amazed by that, I drove it for half an hour and traveled 30 clicks towards the mountains.

Anyway ... it's actually very easy to build something like that. It helps if you know a thing or two about car construction. In Dutch it's called a "self-carrying body", meaning the car suspension is directly mounted on the frame instead of having a seperate chassis. Don't know the correct word for it in English.

The headlights are visual trickery, obviously.

First version, with a chassis:

mHZYQ1K.png

Edited by Azimech

First of all, Azimech, wow. You are taking this turboprop thing to a whole other level. It was hard to judge size there!

Also, nice to see that flush torus, RogueMason, I'm glad I was of help. Which BTW reminds me, mine got loaded and everything and now I'm in the point of no return: JA-01 'Ascension' is going hyperbolic after some veeeery slow burns, and JA-02 'Von Braun' will soon follow once it approaches periapsis for the final ~10min push. Dude that was a long time burning in the dark, with the clock firmly in the yellow at ~1m/s^2.

dtYYkUH.png

JA-03 through 05 are Base Pack cargo flights, and JA-06 an opportunistic science sat I threw together at the last second. I estimate I burned through about 3 or maybe even 4 million √ right there, since it's built in a career save and one of these costs upwards of √1,200,000 with all the support craft and everything. A small armada is going to Jool!

Rune. Will I run the clock fast enough to get there before 1.0?

Edited by Rune

WIP proton launch pad :) used only the first stage of my proton with a lot of ballast to speed up the design :P there are 6 FLT-100 fuel tanks + aerospikes hidden in the middle of the pad's structure, used as smoke generators for the launch :)

mSNVcZcl.png

(with hidden stability enhancers... thanks to the offset tool, i don't need those to 'cling' to the sides of the rocket anymore - i can offset them enough to fully hide then inside the pad's structure, to place my own mock up support systems ^^)

full launch pad - post launch.

0hej2Kkl.png

the 6 i-beams with antenna's at the end start angled at mid height of the pad, extending to the bottom of the proton. when decoupled, they fall until their end reaches a small 'basket' made of ox-stats - during the fall, the small rcs fuel tanks serve as guides - once the thing hit the basket, the RCS tanks serve as counterweights, folding the I-beams inside the recess :) all in all, these small animated things are only 12 parts each :)

QyvUhBJl.jpg

simply gravity based physics ! :)

only thing i did not made, was closing back the protective doors of the real thing around the clamps once they are folded - that would have made the part count skyrocket :P

Edited by sgt_flyer

Stuck a new "arm" on my station today, to help guide and attach approaching modules. Similar to the Canadarm, but with a fork at the middle joint, and launchable grappling hooks at the end.

It can also "walk" across the station to wherever it's needed next, using the hooks and the claw.

Mods: KAS, IR, Kolonization

qZ7I6uE.jpg

This is part of my all-SSTO program.

@ fenya : Wow! This lander looks so cool, care to show a bit more?

Also I assume the double controlled planes comes from the decoupling glitch right?

@ soulreaver : Interesting wings, I want to see how it handles now :D

@ Yukon : True to the original and simple, nicely done

Here's just a shape research that I made, inspired by a StarCitizen's ship called the

X-85 Runabout.

The total weight of the frame and wings is under 1t and 100parts, so I could end up using it for a shuttle type lander or even an SSTO perhaps.

zlFOm41.jpg

Jh806Lf.jpg

Edited by RevanCorana

@ fenya : Wow! This lander looks so cool, care to show a bit more?

Also I assume the double controlled planes comes from the decoupling glitch right?

@ soulreaver : Interesting wings, I want to see how it handles now :D

@ Yukon : True to the original and simple, nicely done

Here's just a shape research that I made, inspired by a StarCitizen's ship called X-85 runabout.

The total weight of the frame and wings is under 1t and 100parts, so I could end up using it for a shuttle type lander or even an SSTO perhaps.

http://i.imgur.com/zlFOm41.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Jh806Lf.jpg

Thanks revancorana and thats a sweet looking craft you have here.

Thanks man, I also made a 300i (almost) working in FAR and a bunch of other stuff that I probably won't finish, but may well be worth a look, so just throwing it in here:

300i

lieqwzw.jpg

PAK FA T-50 1/1 scale (FAR)

nqsfjn1.jpg

New Goo Box

NmkQ5os.jpg

Mosquito Frame

BpIkfv3.jpg

F-22 1/2 scale (FAR)

MH8kiZD.jpg

Edited by RevanCorana

916 parts of madness (or soviet engineering ? :P - guess it's a little bit of both ;)) - the rocket + payload on their own is 701 parts :)

dMEtyet.png

Luna 17 standing on the pad... - yes i know i still need to rework the staging :P just wanted to see the finished thing standing on the pad :)

guess this monster incorporates quite almost all of my latest building techniques (and some old ones too) ^^

Edited by sgt_flyer