Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Not really a WIP, more like an ongoing project. Also not stock, strickly speaking (uses Mk2 Expansion parts).

The initial design goal was a reusable orbiter to ferry crew and supplies to and from a station in LKO. Turns out the design had enough dV to be able to land on both of Kerbin's sattelites already.

Design goal for the next iteration:

- Increase the dV-Capacity by ~50% to enable it to do Duna roundtrips (low orbit -> surface and back).

- Create a cargo variant with increased payload capacity (current interation has around 2-3t up and downward if you replace the crew module with a cargo bay, not counting the fuel).

- design a dedicated launch vehicle for both iterations.

SKAm18P.png

http://imgur.com/a/6CA5I

edit: The nosecone design is stardog573's design. All credits to him.

Edited by mkabla
Better formatting, adding credits

Looking for aesthetic and functional feedback on my new mothership type thing, hopefully for a Jool-5 mission some time.

http://i.imgur.com/lNudYae.jpg

The docking ports on the side at the front are for detachable fuel tanks and stuff, and the mk2 cargo bays are for tugs and little landers and other small kit. Hopefully I'll be able to fit some kind of plane in that mk3 cargo bay for Laythe. The inside of all the mk2 bits is hollow and big enough to fit 2.5m parts, so it should be usable for heavier landers and extra fuel. It's 77 parts and over 100 tonnes.

I'm not really happy with how it looks though, it just seems a bit off in a way I can't quite place, and I'm sure there must be a more efficient way to put it together. Any ideas?

I don't know why you don't like the way it looks, I think it looks awesome! :D

How many parts?

I don't know why you don't like the way it looks, I think it looks awesome! :D

How many parts?

Thanks! I just think it needs tweaking/is missing something, it just looks a bit back heavy maybe. It's 77 parts at the moment but that is missing landers, tugs and other equipment.

Thanks! I just think it needs tweaking/is missing something, it just looks a bit back heavy maybe. It's 77 parts at the moment but that is missing landers, tugs and other equipment.

Swap the blunt nosecone on the Mk2 short adaptors for a Type B tail connector (the slanted one) to blend the radial MK2 parts into the main hull? Looks pretty good either way though.

Looking for aesthetic and functional feedback on my new mothership type thing, hopefully for a Jool-5 mission some time.

http://i.imgur.com/lNudYae.jpg

The docking ports on the side at the front are for detachable fuel tanks and stuff, and the mk2 cargo bays are for tugs and little landers and other small kit. Hopefully I'll be able to fit some kind of plane in that mk3 cargo bay for Laythe. The inside of all the mk2 bits is hollow and big enough to fit 2.5m parts, so it should be usable for heavier landers and extra fuel. It's 77 parts and over 100 tonnes.

I'm not really happy with how it looks though, it just seems a bit off in a way I can't quite place, and I'm sure there must be a more efficient way to put it together. Any ideas?

The Mk3 cockpit is very mass-efficient and such, but IMO it only really looks right on plane-like stuff with wings. I'd put a Mk3-to-2.5m adapter and go with the conical capsule.

Rune. Hope that helps!

I have a ton of stuff in the works. Testing is taking up just as much time as building so if anyone knows how to use BD to dogfight a drone I'd love for you to try my crafts.

Stealth F-22 with internal weapon bays. Also need to replace the fuel tank on the stock version because it now holds 400 fuel instead of 150. And it won't replace the part automatically. Then a stock armed version. Also a VTOL 22

l3UXzjH.jpg

MRK II F-35. Trying to figure out a way to replicate the doors that open to allow the engine to rotate.

NyN80Zx.png

Rebuilding the Gundam for the first time since .24. But I have to fix the node code for all the B9 parts I need though.

mlDAbUk.png

And one of these day's I'll get the f-16 done.

Edited by clown_baby

Finding out how incredibly not-dense this craft is... I've only got 2 craft which are bigger and they have part counts too high to make them field-able.

yGi4oNr.png

GLD9nsO.png

HHbCiBQ.png

aU2Wk26.png

kq2sgua.png

(Accurate stats besides d/v(but the same is true for dreadnought))

w9IVvfl.png

And the fact that it's become too heavy to be classed as a cruiser makes this less functional by the hour. Half the ammunition of a Dreadnought and not that much range either.

Looks .... though...

fPX0KD5.png

Can anybody give me tips on how to finish the roof? I had a few tries but they just don't look good...

http://i.imgur.com/YZisWz1.png

Thanks.

http://i.imgur.com/Tny7Iki.png

ooohh i can help :) place a cubic strut centrally, on the rear cabin wall looks fine, then place a structural panel or somethng and off set it dragging it upwards, then use struts going from the roof to the car :) hope that helps

Started work on a Mega-project, Jupiter July.iFjepjr.png Can anyone guess what probe it is? It's still a really basic version and yes, this will use mods.

(it was pioneer 10, looks like some one has the answer far too obviously.)

Edited by SaturnianBlue

Today i started work on a simple atmospheric craft, turns out geting it to fly is not simple. It flips out and does explosive banking turn, nose down right into the runway no matter what i do:huh:.

Here is a pic of the craft with COM, COL and COT, could someone tell me what is wrong here?

Bez_n_zvu.jpg

Today i started work on a simple atmospheric craft, turns out geting it to fly is not simple. It flips out and does explosive banking turn, nose down right into the runway no matter what i do:huh:.

Here is a pic of the craft with COM, COL and COT, could someone tell me what is wrong here?

http://s11.postimg.org/ym8euca0y/Bez_n_zvu.jpg

Fix your pic and I can tell you.

Edit: actually my reply shows it. The com and col look good. Having winglets that far in the front might be the problem.

Edited by clown_baby