Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Not much, but refitting a Shuttle Carrier Aircraft replica, for performance inprovements.

I still can't seem to make it turn 360 degrees without the SCA blowing itself apart, though. Probably because of structure being exposed to too much G-Force.

Try sticking a nose cone of some kind on the C7 adaptor at the back, it should reduce the drag quite a bit. Nice SCA, can it do the free flight shuttle approach/landing test thing?

Since KSP doesn't seem to have a suitable engine for my Bristol Boxkite, I decided to do flight tests with a tow glider variant. :cool:

http://i.imgur.com/QJgR2i5.jpg

This didn't work. I need a car or truck that can reach high enough speeds to pull this thing off the ground. Right now, I'm using AMRSD's Willys jeep, but it can only manage 18 m/s with the Boxkite attached. I need some help here. :P

Nice! For a faster car, use the black wheels and make it as light as possible.

When this is ready it will be able to drive non-stop to the north pole, on it's internal tanks without refill. The trailer gives me a headache but is improving all the time, the truck just did a 200 km drive at top speed on autopilot. If I add a 2.5m tank I probably have enough fuel to drive around Kerbin. Maybe I'll build a boat out of that trailer.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Lovely engine sound! I sleep with it and Mechjeb drives.

An hurrah for the old rover wheels module, when the new module arrives, these babies are gonna use A LOT more fuel.

Edited by Azimech

Nice! For a faster car, use the black wheels and make it as light as possible.
Another option is to add Jet-Power to the car. Personally, I'd use Tweakscale to place a tiny fuel tank and thurster somewhere on it.

I'll try these. I may make a bigger biplane that can tow the Boxkite into the air, and release that as a craft, but I really want to construct a fully functional yet stock Bristol Boxkite. I've tried ion engines, and the amount of ASL thrust they produce is laughable. I'll try out monoprop engines or possibly ant engines, but then the maximum flight time is only about 1 minute.

I'll try these. I may make a bigger biplane that can tow the Boxkite into the air, and release that as a craft, but I really want to construct a fully functional yet stock Bristol Boxkite. I've tried ion engines, and the amount of ASL thrust they produce is laughable. I'll try out monoprop engines or possibly ant engines, but then the maximum flight time is only about 1 minute.

Sometimes heavy seems to work better than light, gives you more traction. Use the TR-2L offroad wheels too, they seem to have more torque at medium speeds. The best I've seen from a non-rocket rover is 25m/s from Signo's 8 tonne craft which you can see here (which might also have other helpful stuff)

Try sticking a nose cone of some kind on the C7 adaptor at the back, it should reduce the drag quite a bit. Nice SCA, can it do the free flight shuttle approach/landing test thing?

Thank you! I'll try adding a small, pointy cone to attempt reducing it. I'm just hoping it doesn't remove the shape too much.

And actually, yes, it could simulate approach/landing tests:

zjL6lEg.gif

The only trouble I'm having so far is that it's very slow and hard to maneuver. And FYI, the shuttle is courtesy of inigma. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I'm working on a Boeing 747-400. Looks amazing so far. What do you guys think?

LwtEThd.jpg

Since KSP doesn't seem to have a suitable engine for my Bristol Boxkite, I decided to do flight tests with a tow glider variant. :cool:

http://i.imgur.com/QJgR2i5.jpg

This didn't work. I need a car or truck that can reach high enough speeds to pull this thing off the ground. Right now, I'm using AMRSD's Willys jeep, but it can only manage 18 m/s with the Boxkite attached. I need some help here. :P

RCS Engines with infinite fuel? :P You can attach those either on the jeep or on the plane.

Tinkering with a stock MiG-29 replica. Wing shape looks right, length is a bit short but it doesn't seem out of whack. Needs some tidying and there is a whole heap of scary wingflex - however the airbrakes mimic the real thing, if only you could adjust the angle of deflection for the stock elevons. And subsequently do diddly squat. However, it flies like an absolute dream.

EenxBlV.jpg

Working on a Boeing 707.

It looks good aesthetically so far, but it's speed.. a nightmare for the fast traveler.

So slow.

Are you using 4 basic jet engines? If so, I doubt there's much you can do to speed up a large craft like that. They now have a seriously sucky TWR and it just gets worse with speed and altitude, so you might be better off using turbojets. Of course then you have to deal with your airliner spewing flames like an F-14 on full afterburner.

Are you using 4 basic jet engines? If so, I doubt there's much you can do to speed up a large craft like that. They now have a seriously sucky TWR and it just gets worse with speed and altitude, so you might be better off using turbojets. Of course then you have to deal with your airliner spewing flames like an F-14 on full afterburner.

Well, the problem is that I'd overpower the B707 if I used turbojet engines. At their state, they're pretty close to the specifications of the P&W JT4D (which powers the Boeing B707-320) - has 70 kn, around the same static thrust as the jet engine.

I'd certainly use turbojets or clipping as a last resort. In it's current state, it's a disaster.

Edited by Columbia

Well ... screw the 70kN if you ask me. 93 m/s is nowhere enough for a 707. I had the same problem with my BUFF2 when adapting, it flew easily at Mach 0.8 under FAR, but with stock aero the limit dropped to Mach 0.3!

Well ... screw the 70kN if you ask me. 93 m/s is nowhere enough for a 707. I had the same problem with my BUFF2 when adapting, it flew easily at Mach 0.8 under FAR, but with stock aero the limit dropped to Mach 0.3!

Alright then, thanks for the advice!

Time to set to work..

Here at SMA our professional rover testers take their work seriously. No fun at all was had in the making of this video.

All manoeuvres were at full speed, this is the new version of our rover.

I really need to make a stock mk2 rover cabin, anyone want to have a go? Something like this

lander2.jpg

maybe with elevons and the flat rectangular antennas?

Edited by selfish_meme

Here at SMA our professional rover testers take their work seriously. No fun at all was had in the making of this video.

All manoeuvres were at full speed, this is the new version of our rover.

I really need to make a stock mk2 rover cabin, anyone want to have a go? Something like this

http://www.oocities.org/hollywood/heights/5927/gifs/lander2.jpg

maybe with elevons and the flat rectangular antennas?

I recommend the structural panels and I-beams, they're heavy but sometimes that seems to help with rovers and the impact tolerance really helps. I usually make a roll cage around any kerbals with them and make anything aesthetic with elevons and small hardpoints.

This was a very quick draft, is this the kind of thing you're looking for?

I7N1ISI.jpg

The kerbals should be protected in any impact up to 80m/s.