Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Did you use the circular intakes from the Open Source Construction thread?

Haven't seen that. It is structurally finished but looks bad.

Edit: Never mind, revamped it.

BC9DB36AB5D3DBE1AD3C10A34141009E3A249E95

However if it lands on it's side it breaks. Otherwise it can take impacts from up to a 30 meter fall.

8C46E12A7FC5F4981BBAB56648A4590ABC47468E

Edited by clivman

Taking a break from the Boxkite to build a quick Delta II:

PfnTmUo.jpg

It's got nine SRBs, just like the real thing, three of which are ignited in flight to burn out later than the first six. Unfortunately, it uses Tweakscale for some parts, including the SRBs. I have yet to fly it to orbit, but the reason this launch failed is because I tried to take over control from MechJeb and ended up pitching the rocket into an unrecoverable spin.

Taking a break from the Boxkite to build a quick Delta II:

http://i.imgur.com/PfnTmUo.jpg

It's got nine SRBs, just like the real thing, three of which are ignited in flight to burn out later than the first six. Unfortunately, it uses Tweakscale for some parts, including the SRBs. I have yet to fly it to orbit, but the reason this launch failed is because I tried to take over control from MechJeb and ended up pitching the rocket into an unrecoverable spin.

If you already used Tweakscale try and make it 1.875m which is the correct scale.

Also

B47516CEA1158E4F34CD3C1E5BB068ED83CD13D1

If you already used Tweakscale try and make it 1.875m which is the correct scale.

Also

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/436073084512571246/B47516CEA1158E4F34CD3C1E5BB068ED83CD13D1/

Aha! Mars Climate Orbiter! The one that died because NASA mixed up Metric and US Customary.

I think the SRBs are 0.975 meters. 1.25 meters is too big to fit nine around a 2.5 meter tank, so I had to scale them down. Maybe I'll get Editor Extensions to get a perfect 9x symmetry.

Aha! Mars Climate Orbiter! The one that died because NASA mixed up Metric and US Customary.

I think the SRBs are 0.975 meters. 1.25 meters is too big to fit nine around a 2.5 meter tank, so I had to scale them down. Maybe I'll get Editor Extensions to get a perfect 9x symmetry.

Yes, and the bus is the same as 2001 Mars Odyssey, so I just have to make two sets of instruments instead of two spacecraft.

A transporter-erector will move the Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy rockets to position them above the flame trench for liftoff on flights carrying astronauts to the International Space Station and other launches.

Yes, yes, the most awesome builder of V2 replicas will arise again! Possibly with some help from sgt_flyer...

I am visiting all of the planets that I can visit with the help of Durability SSTO. That is all except Tylo, Eve, Jool.

Moho was the most difficult goal.

fzZoADP.jpg

Takeoff from Duna took 20 minutes because 2 atomic engine against 60 tons - not the best scenario:D

rKiIkuY.jpg

And this is just a beautiful view from Dres

TeZfLAk.jpg

Next stop is Laythe!

In the hangar, piecing together a B-17 replica. It was much more challenging than I expected to build the frame alone.

The limitations of stock parts became clear while I was building. I had to rely so much on offsets to get it to look like this.

At least the hard part's over.. I can't wait to see it aloft.

QcKgpWb.png

4rJu7qk.jpg

In the hangar, piecing together a B-17 replica. It was much more challenging than I expected to build the frame alone.

The limitations of stock parts became clear while I was building. I had to rely so much on offsets to get it to look like this.

At least the hard part's over.. I can't wait to see it aloft.

http://i.imgur.com/QcKgpWb.png

http://i.imgur.com/4rJu7qk.jpg

Stratofortress?

Columbia, you make me want to make a flying fortress now... Are you trying to make it 1:1 ish? If so, I think it's a little large.

Well, I never intended it to be to scale, honestly :P As long as it captures the look properly, I guess I'd be satisfied.

Also, I finally got it aloft! :D Now to work on bombs.

1nBgc45.png

pEBkmIt.jpg

Had an incredibly low pass on the water.

Well, I never intended it to be to scale, honestly :P As long as it captures the look properly, I guess I'd be satisfied.

Also, I finally got it aloft! :D Now to work on bombs.

http://i.imgur.com/1nBgc45.png

http://i.imgur.com/pEBkmIt.jpg

Had an incredibly low pass on the water.

One time the Experimental Aircraft Association brought a B-17 to an airport near where I live and offered tours for free. They sold flights in it for low price of $400. I didn't get a flight because I didn't have money, but I got to walk through the plane and get some pictures. They even let me crawl in the Ball Turret under the belly. That thing is small, I respect B-17 Ball Turret gunners very deeply.

Edited by pTrevTrevs

One time the Experimental Aircraft Association brought a B-17 to an airport near where I live and offered tours for free. They sold flights in it for low price of $400. I didn't get a flight because I didn't have money, but I got to walk through the plane and get some pictures. They even let me crawl in the Ball Turret under the belly. That thing is small, I respect B-17 Ball Turret gunners very deeply...

Wow.. must've been a remarkable experience seeing such a historical bomber.

Did some research on the Ball Turret.. Wow, I can't believe gunners can even fit in.

Taking a small break from the B-17 and doing some testing on an A300.

(Looking at it more, seems more like an A320)

xf5rikj.jpg