Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

mmh :) i want to play with the new structural fuselage - it's collision box matches it's new appearance :) it could allow us even nicer bearings than fairing based ones :)

here's jeb checking the plumbing ! (yup, he walked from it's pod and climbed directly inside the structural fuselage :) it fits ! :)

azWWxrwm.png

mmh :) i want to play with the new structural fuselage - it's collision box matches it's new appearance :) it could allow us even nicer bearings than fairing based ones :)

here's jeb checking the plumbing ! (yup, he walked from it's pod and climbed directly inside the structural fuselage :) it fits ! :)

http://i.imgur.com/azWWxrwm.png

Yup! Kerbals can walk down then, snuggler and I where plying about with these. You can make slides and they can even walk down them when they are arranged into a tight circle.

Initial bearing testing by myself was not good though. Small rover wheels just push through the inside.. The landing gear may work better though.

Edited by Majorjim

Yup! Kerbals can walk down then, snuggler and I where plying about with these. You can make slides and they can even walk down them when they are arranged into a tight circle.

Initial bearing testing by myself was not good though. Small rover wheels just push through the inside.. The landing gear may work better though.

well, made some tests, it works with the small landing gear :) (veeery tight fit though :P)

tried the same bearing configuration as my fairing based animated jet engines inside it, it rolls :) (now, to try how strong it is, time to get out my stress test bench ^^ :P)

dcQiugUl.jpg

zLZLlMul.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/azWWxrwm.png

We can make obstacle courses for our Kerbals to run through! Damn, if only Veteran's Day were today, I have to wait till I get home this afternoon to try this idea.

1.0.5 never ceases to amaze!

I made this SSSTO as a joke response to a comment on reddit, but the more I play with it the better it gets. It's now a full to orbit and back capable SSTO, can take off and land on water or ground. Basically it can go anywhere on or near Kerbin as long as there is a flattish place to land and transport a few tons of cargo and 18 Kerbals. I have named it Pegasus and categorised it as a Capricorn Class Space Clipper (yep thats a thing now). Anyway whats a cargo plane without stuff to deliver, I found that I could get my Ares rovers out of it, but not back in (her back end is tight), so I made a tough little 2 Kerbal exploration rover (with roofracks) to drop off and explore faraway places.

r1hgk75.png

WIP Offworld prison. Whoever that guy doing the dunatian is, please have a look, as this could help you!

http://imgur.com/a/gt06E

Thanks man, I already use empty fuel tanks as tubes and just do the crew transfer to get them in or out, walking the Kerbal between pods seems a bit redundant. Nice hab. But you guys should check out the hollow octacore mod so you can make walkable tunnel systems inside craft.

The new hollow structural fuselages got me thinking about the crawling tunnels obstacle courses have, and that in turn led me to build an assault course for Kerbals to run through. Hopefully, this will get the astronauts in shape so we don;t have any more spacewalking deaths because Kerbals thought it would be "too much work to grab the ladder". Who cares if the Kerbals don't like running it twice a day, plus once before they can eat? They aren't paid to complain!

dZAdlal.png

The course starts with a set of monkey bars, reached by climbing a ladder to the top of a tower.

O7FmV9v.jpg

At the end, the runner has to drop down and try to land safely on the ground without hurting himself (good thing Kerbals are already pretty resilient anyway)

8pT63G1.png

After that, they must run through the tunnel, which is really the only reason this exists in the first place (thanks Squad).

KRoWqS0.jpg

After the tunnel, the Kerbal must crawl under this barbed wire net (there's a ladder that had sunken into the ground). I'll see if i can get some machine guns shooting overhead too, to make them keep their heads down.

po7MsVH.jpg

A short run through these spinning scanners, which probably need to be moved closer together to make the course harder to run.

3bNpbKr.jpg

You've got to climb or jump over these hurdles next (it's harder than it looks).

ZxMvMlJ.png

Then, there's this ladder and slide, which was added just to give the Kerbals motivation for running the course (aside from food, which they can sometimes smuggle into their rooms).

llEjwtE.jpg

Bqomy8g.png

And lastly, a short sprint to the finish line! Jeb did this course in about three minutes, but it can easily be done in less time.