Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Great you got it working! :)

Did you ever try the Poodle + Skipper design I told you about? I'm curious to see how it works! But if it ain't broke, don't fix it, eh? The Mainsails do the trick. :wink:

BTW, that was a sweet TD&E there! You just turned around and... DOCK!

Edited by Woopert

Great you got it working! :)

Did you ever try the Poodle + Skipper design I told you about? I'm curious to see how it works! But if it ain't broke, don't fix it, eh? The Mainsails do the trick. :wink:

BTW, that was a sweet TD&E there! You just turned around and... DOCK!

I found it didn't help much sadly Woopert. It just wasn't enough thrust to get it high enough for the second and third stage.

LOL yeah I was really happy the first time I realized I could do that.

MJ

Hi all,

Well I managed to get it to work, with mainsails.

I launched her with Skippers over 30 times in one evening and my profile was perfect on a few of those.

It just wasn't possible with 5 Skippers in the first stage.

So I used mainsails and added more fuel to the first stage. She now flies exactly how I wanted! She is very powerful now and

most people would find it easy to get to the Mun with it.

I made a new launch video, you can see my new realism tweaks, extra ullage motors and such. I have the bandicam trial so only 10mins.

But you get to see how simple it is to dock the CSM to the lander.

http://youtu.be/ZcmwV7dEaak

I may make some changes to the lander and then release it as the new version of my Selene Apollo craft.

Thanks for looking.

MJ

So... I suppose now would be a bad time to tell you how I managed to transform mine into your shape, new tanks size and separating fairings and all, right? :P I think I have pretty much the same margin now, I still have to thrust-limit the skippers to 80%.

Clearly the key is payload, my Munar stack must be much lighter than yours, but until I can get a good look under your fairing... Also, I have a single LV-T30 as the J-2 on the S-IVb, saving another chunk of mass there (I still have T/W 0.7 with it, and the S-II leaves me 400m/s short of orbit, where T/W doesn't matter).

Rune. Good job!

So... I suppose now would be a bad time to tell you how I managed to transform mine into your shape, new tanks size and separating fairings and all, right? :P I think I have pretty much the same margin now, I still have to thrust-limit the skippers to 80%.

Clearly the key is payload, my Munar stack must be much lighter than yours, but until I can get a good look under your fairing... Also, I have a single LV-T30 as the J-2 on the S-IVb, saving another chunk of mass there (I still have T/W 0.7 with it, and the S-II leaves me 400m/s short of orbit, where T/W doesn't matter).

Rune. Good job!

Thanks Rune.

Hard to say without seeing it. :wink: hint hint.

I imagine that what ever your rocket contains its much lighter than the one I built.

Otherwise you would be using Mainsails! :D

MJ

Thanks Rune.

Hard to say without seeing it. :wink: hint hint.

I imagine that what ever your rocket contains its much lighter than the one I built.

Otherwise you would be using Mainsails! :D

MJ

Definitely WiP, but here's how the first orbital flight went. You can see how I've downright copied your S-IVb design (probably with a different construction scheme)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Turns out I needed 100m/s more on the S-IVb for TMI (with only half the tanks full), I've since corrected but I haven't launched to Mun yet. Note I circularize at 70kms, and I usually finish the first burn at >55kms and 2,200m/s (orbital). I have gravity turns very well practised. :)

Rune. Otherwise, same rest of the rocket.

Definitely WiP, but here's how the first orbital flight went. You can see how I've downright copied your S-IVb design (probably with a different construction scheme)

http://imgur.com/a/EcLLo

Turns out I needed 100m/s more on the S-IVb for TMI (with only half the tanks full), I've since corrected but I haven't launched to Mun yet. Note I circularize at 70kms, and I usually finish the first burn at >55kms and 2,200m/s (orbital). I have gravity turns very well practised. :)

Rune. Otherwise, same rest of the rocket.

That's ok Rune, I'm very happy to have inspired the design!

What is your payload? How many motors in the second stage? others clipped in? Got a separating ring?

I tried low orbits when testing my Skipper version. I had better results with a different ascent.

MJ

That's ok Rune, I'm very happy to have inspired the design!

What is your payload? How many motors in the second stage? others clipped in? Got a separating ring?

I tried low orbits when testing my Skipper version. I had better results with a different ascent.

MJ

Oh, the rest of the rocket other than the S-IVb is a plain Phoebus just as I offer it on my thread, so you can download and check out yourself. But to answer the questions: the payload is my LEM+CSM combo (about as light as you can make it with the correct number of crew cabin positions and ALSEP+rover payload), the S-II has four LV-T30's and one Poodle, no engine clipping anywhere, and yeah, I've got a separating ring, only it doesn't work as accurate as yours (I could probably modify it so it did, but right now it drops at the same time as the S-IC and only the hullage motors show you it's a separate thing).

Rune. The key to an efficient ascent to orbit is to focus on the "time to apoapsis" readout... preferably in KER so you can stage and admire your rocket.

Testing a really basic version of the Saturn INT-05

http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/satint05.htm

The first stage was going to be a huge 260" SRB with an enormous nozzle. I think I captured that feature pretty well here:

FR3qHyM.png

There's a big bundle of long SRBs inside the first stage. All the tanks are empty. Kerbal Engineer doesn't seem to like the new SRBs, so I don't really know how much delta V it has. It's plenty to get to orbit though.

Edited by GusTurbo

Oh, the rest of the rocket other than the S-IVb is a plain Phoebus just as I offer it on my thread, so you can download and check out yourself. But to answer the questions: the payload is my LEM+CSM combo (about as light as you can make it with the correct number of crew cabin positions and ALSEP+rover payload), the S-II has four LV-T30's and one Poodle, no engine clipping anywhere, and yeah, I've got a separating ring, only it doesn't work as accurate as yours (I could probably modify it so it did, but right now it drops at the same time as the S-IC and only the hullage motors show you it's a separate thing).

Rune. The key to an efficient ascent to orbit is to focus on the "time to apoapsis" readout... preferably in KER so you can stage and admire your rocket.

Yeah after a squllion launches you get quite good at it. :wink:

Cool, i look forward to seeing to finished article! Mine is now on the forum for download, give it a go!

MJ

Indeed -- 20 large SRBs hidden inside 3.75m tanks. With 13,000 kN each, they pack a serious punch. That particular rocket is a lag monster, though. I'm trying to find a more practical use for these.

Mars is the goal, but this is a dummy run that's just going to the moon.

I want to do a powered landing on Mars because I don't trust parachutes in it's atmosphere, and there's no command module, it's a direct ascent lander.

As well as RSS I have FAR and deadly re-entry installed, and I'm playing "hardcore", so I'm expecting some sacrifices along the way. :)

First staging event was both successful and epic.

pcg5wDR.png

Edited by Moar Boosters