Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Just now, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Have you considered releasing that independently of the rest of the craft?  the gold foil, the custom landing gear, it's the best LM replica I've seen.

It is very pretty indeed! @Bubbadevlin Can you post pics of the rover and its release? Also, the LEM was not gold all the way around the skirt. The four sides that have the landing gear are black.

4 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

It is very pretty indeed! @Bubbadevlin Can you post pics of the rover and its release? Also, the LEM was not gold all the way around the skirt. The four sides that have the landing gear are black.

42 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Have you considered releasing that independently of the rest of the craft?  the gold foil, the custom landing gear, it's the best LM replica I've seen.

Sure!

You are right, somewhat, but from my research (mostly google images) the rover panel (back right) and the opposite to the rover panel, the back left, are black, although it seems to vary pretty greatly with different images. I do have both those sections black, however i conveniently forgot to show them in the pictures :/ 

I still need to do some touch ups, will probably be released tomorrow :P

Just now, Bubbadevlin said:

Sure!

You are right, somewhat, but from my research (mostly google images) the rover panel (back right) and the opposite to the rover panel, the back left, are black, although it seems to vary pretty greatly with different images. I do have both those sections black, however i conveniently forgot to show them in the pictures :/ 

I still need to do some touch ups, will probably be released tomorrow :P

Hmm, yeah, the rear two are black and I think the crew could peel back the mylar (Velcro?) sheet to get at the goodies under neither. I would be very interested to see my LEM next to yours! That fact that the lander felt smaller than it is, is testament to the quality of your build. The scale is really surprising! I still think a few less parts would be helpful though!

I look forward to seeing the rover man!

Edited by Majorjim

It looks like the black panels are graphite, designed to dissipate the heat from the RCS system.

If you look at this image:

DCx8x.jpg

You can see that the ascent module's RCS system is directly above the black stuff.

You can also see it in LMs from apollo 11 onwards, on the landing pads, but only facing towards the engine:

lm9ksc01.jpg

In this pic (from 1976, of a KSC installation, with flight hardware), you can see the blast deflectors again:
KSC-76PC-0180.jpg

16 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Hmm, yeah, the rear two are black and I think the crew could peel back the mylar (Velcro?) sheet to get at the goodies under neither. I would be very interested to see my LEM next to yours! That fact that the lander felt smaller than it is, is testament to the quality of the build. The scale is really surprising! I still think a few less parts would be helpful though!

Ha ha yea, that is why I am going to wait until 1.1 for developing the Saturn V part :P 

Honestly I could easily probably take out 100 parts, by i think those little science things look a lot better than fuel ducts, and hey, the build is designed to be about all out accuracy, and part count is kinda a secondary thought

3 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

It looks like the black panels are graphite, designed to dissipate the heat from the RCS system.

If you look at this image:

You can see that the ascent module's RCS system is directly above the black stuff.

You can also see it in LMs from apollo 11 onwards, on the landing pads, but only facing towards the engine:

In this pic (from 1976, of a KSC installation, with flight hardware), you can see the blast deflectors again:

Yea, those are the main things I need to add on :P

Just now, Bubbadevlin said:

Yea, those are the main things I need to add on :P

I have those RCS deflectors, not that they do anything.. :sticktongue: I think they where added last minute on the Apollo 11 LEM. They had an unintended effect on the LEMs radio too. You can that in the video of the landing below, its awesome you can even see the boulder field they had to avoid!

Edited by Majorjim

Hum. I've got a question,  @Bubbadevlin. What exactly did you use for the cabin's drum? The rest of the things, I can short of figure out, but I can't remember any 2.5m diameter stock part that has such a smooth texture.

Rune. The part count is a bit scary for my tastes, but you can't deny the resemblance.

Edited by Rune

24 minutes ago, Rune said:

Hum. I've got a question,  @Bubbadevlin. What exactly did you use for the cabin's drum? The rest of the things, I can short of figure out, but I can't remember any 2.5m diameter stock part that has such a smooth texture.

Rune. The part count is a bit scary for my tastes, but you can't deny the resemblance.

I just took it to be a fairing. Might be wrong though.

4 minutes ago, Dafni said:

I just took it to be a fairing. Might be wrong though.

Probably. If you made a faring with such a sharp corner, it would round out the edge and make an unsightly bulge...

Rune. It has me scratching my head more than the legs did!

2 hours ago, Rune said:

The crew 'tub' is made from a faring Rune. I flew a full J class mission in his Saturn V. I love the scale of it but for Kerbals the scale is too large.

55 minutes ago, PhylumCnidaria said:

IT'S KSP I SWEAR!

The mist! How does one have mist?

4 hours ago, Rune said:

It is actually a fairing, however a very clipped one. I did this because 2.5m parts are too big, and 1m parts are too small. It is also not actually that sharp of a corner, The "cone" of the fairing is just hard to see behind the other things. 

I finished the bridge as well the bottom part of the tower above it, and i'm almost done with the things in the back. Next is to finish the back and the tower, then I need to build the mast and add some secondary guns, and fill in some holes... I'll admit, with this kind of part count, if I ever recreate the Battle Of The Denmark Strait, I WILL have to weld a bunch of parts, or will end up with thousands of parts...

On 2/18/2016 at 0:43 PM, Majorjim said:

I have those RCS deflectors, not that they do anything.. :sticktongue: I think they where added last minute on the Apollo 11 LEM. They had an unintended effect on the LEMs radio too. You can that in the video of the landing below, its awesome you can even see the boulder field they had to avoid!

Watching the landing felt scarier and more pressuring than it should be..

16 hours ago, clown_baby said:

I'm working on a wingman program for kOS.  It works with BDA's autopilot too.

Cna8u4H.png

oUlL1Aj.png

How do you get the F-22s in formation?

EDIT: Nevermind.. just realized that is the point of the kOS program.

Edited by Columbia