Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

13 hours ago, Yakuzi said:

Thanks mate! And it's not even that draggy so quite viable as a cockpit option :)

Another stock SSTO for if you want to throw a party in orbit for your buddies (transports 10 kerbals to LKO and back):

That is sleek and slick. I will most likely have to be "inspired".... ;)

54 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

I took my own advice and ditched the lander and ascent vehicle and added a Drill and ISRU, rebuilt the fuselage with some extra tankage, Cargo Bays and some STOL/VTOL aerospikes, a few other bits and peices. 3200ms in LKO, not bad eh? With the ability to land and refuel itself on small moons or even the surface of Duna or Laythe, it truly is an SSTNA (Single Stage To Nearly Anywhere) *taps nose at @Majorjim

Shakedown with a quick trip to orbit and back (first a beauty shot), I only circularised on the nukes, the rest I did with the rapiers. Still plenty of oxidiser left for a VTOL or STOL landing on the aerospikes.

xLHzlJd.png

I actually got down on the runway at under 150ms, but could not stop in time before the end, I just needed to touch down a couple of hundred metres earlier, I should have put chutes on it. It still had a big load of fuel onboard, that's what I am blaming.

The tails added on the rear made a good difference in the look, I thought it needed them too!

2 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

I took my own advice and ditched the lander and ascent vehicle and added a Drill and ISRU, rebuilt the fuselage with some extra tankage, Cargo Bays and some STOL/VTOL aerospikes, a few other bits and peices. 3200ms in LKO, not bad eh? With the ability to land and refuel itself on small moons or even the surface of Duna or Laythe, it truly is an SSTNA (Single Stage To Nearly Anywhere) *taps nose at @Majorjim

Shakedown with a quick trip to orbit and back (first a beauty shot), I only circularised on the nukes, the rest I did with the rapiers. Still plenty of oxidiser left for a VTOL or STOL landing on the aerospikes.

xLHzlJd.png

I actually got down on the runway at under 150ms, but could not stop in time before the end, I just needed to touch down a couple of hundred metres earlier, I should have put chutes on it. It still had a big load of fuel onboard, that's what I am blaming.

Nice! Just leave me nose alone! ;-)

6 hours ago, castille7 said:

The tails added on the rear made a good difference in the look, I thought it needed them too!

The original version looked like it did because I was thinking of packing it up in a fairing and launching it backwards with a rocket, so all the surfaces needed to be close to the body. I guess I can't call it Project Matroyska anymore, no more craft within craft.

Progress picture for today, also made two videos, one SSTO'ing from Kerbin, one landing on Duna, those will come with release. Going well so far, got it balanced nice, hard to slow down on Duna, I stuffed up the first landing by going too fast, nailed the second though. I am using KSPRC terrain with stock EVE and scatterer, doesn't do much for my FPS but just look at it!

ppSs8vZ.png

8 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Let's get your priorities straight.

1. SpaceX
  2. KSP
  3. Breakfast

[/OFFTOPIC]

Yep, that sums it up pretty nicely. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I've been working on a Tiger I (which has way too many parts for such small level of detail.) But it's relatively huge.

I still need to work on making the turret rotate..

tzRsED8.png

9 minutes ago, Columbia said:

Yep, that sums it up pretty nicely. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I've been working on a Tiger I (which has way too many parts for such small level of detail.) But it's relatively huge.

I still need to work on making the turret rotate..

tzRsED8.png

Mother of King Tigers.....

52 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

Progress picture for today, also made two videos, one SSTO'ing from Kerbin, one landing on Duna, those will come with release. Going well so far, got it balanced nice, hard to slow down on Duna, I stuffed up the first landing by going too fast, nailed the second though. I am using KSPRC terrain with stock EVE and scatterer, doesn't do much for my FPS but just look at it!

Does it increase the resolution of the height map?

I really miss the old Duna. It was a thousand time better..

After being inspired by @selfish_meme, I too have made a rover myself with a bit more durable suspension :) I just thought It'd be fun to make one of my own. His being called Duna Buggy (Dune Buggy), Mine is called Buggy Muggy. Though to the eye, it looks like I took the craft and just renamed it, I did indeed build it from scratch and with different modifications. Enjoy

Work has started on the Bismarck! I've gotten the front half of the hull figured out, though I still need to clean up the borders of the parts. The hull is a little less complex the the Prinz Eugen, so hull part count should not be as bad as it was. I next need to finish the hull, right now the front just kind of awkwardly bumps above the water. Of course, the superstructure is much bigger, though from the side the superstructures look very similar.91b85f.png

4 hours ago, SaturnianBlue said:

Work has started on the Bismarck! I've gotten the front half of the hull figured out, though I still need to clean up the borders of the parts. The hull is a little less complex the the Prinz Eugen, so hull part count should not be as bad as it was. I next need to finish the hull, right now the front just kind of awkwardly bumps above the water. Of course, the superstructure is much bigger, though from the side the superstructures look very similar.91b85f.png

Holy crap, that is huge!

Though I don't think the Bismarck's hull had that bump in the front (If my model is correct..) Nice work so far!

The Tiger I's work continues. I replaced some of the wheels (If you didn't notice, the wheels that actually propel it forth are much smaller and inside the tank instead of the ones that actually show since.. well, it has problems) with more rugged ones, pushing the maximum speed higher to around 10 m/s. Not too bad for a tank.. I guess? 

aGcnUSW.png

Also, anyone who knows how to make a structurally stable bearing that can take a lot of weight? I was able to recreate Majorjim's awesome thermometer bearing but it wasn't able to take much load (in my case.) I did it on the Panzer IV by making it rotate via tons of reaction wheels and cubic struts stopping it from slipping away, but it's a crude system and won't work on the Tiger I either.

Also, here's a size comparison of my Tiger I and my Panzer IV:

0J88Wia.png

24 minutes ago, Columbia said:

Holy crap, that is huge!

Though I don't think the Bismarck's hull had that bump in the front (If my model is correct..) Nice work so far!

The Tiger I's work continues. I replaced some of the wheels (If you didn't notice, the wheels that actually propel it forth are much smaller and inside the tank instead of the ones that actually show since.. well, it has problems) with more rugged ones, pushing the maximum speed higher to around 10 m/s. Not too bad for a tank.. I guess? 

Also, anyone who knows how to make a structurally stable bearing that can take a lot of weight? I was able to recreate Majorjim's awesome thermometer bearing but it wasn't able to take much load (in my case.) I did it on the Panzer IV by making it rotate via tons of reaction wheels and cubic struts stopping it from slipping away, but it's a crude system and won't work on the Tiger I either.

Also, here's a size comparison of my Tiger I and my Panzer IV:

Use the large decoupler TR-38-D, surround it with the small no suspension aircraft wheels LV05, decouple the decoupler from the wheels. This should make a good bearing, the more wheels and the tighter they are pushed into the decoupler the tighter it will be, and you will need more torque to turn it, if you put structural plate on the turret then it's going to weigh tons, you will need a lot of torque. try not to make it too heavy.

PSA build the bearing in the VAb and attach it in the SPH

Edited by selfish_meme

The Bismarck hull is mostly done at 176 parts, I need to rebalance it in the water, and build the deck, but for the most part I am done with the hull, and I fixed the bump in the front. I need to make sure the hull top is level though. I ran into the weird issues that I encountered building the Prinz Eugen, but It's ok now. If I manage to fix that, I might as well try and drop a Tallboy on it. :P3wuYoVX.png

On 3/5/2016 at 7:14 AM, selfish_meme said:

Progress picture for today, also made two videos, one SSTO'ing from  Kerbin, one landing on Duna, those will come with release. Going well so far, got it balanced nice, hard to slow down on Duna, I stuffed up the first landing by going too fast, nailed the second though. I am using KSPRC terrain with stock EVE and scatterer, doesn't do much for my FPS but just look at it!

ppSs8vZ.png

I love the use of the forward cargo bay, the drill and the dart engine, nice.

Edited by castille7

On 06/03/2016 at 6:19 AM, Columbia said:

snip...Also, anyone who knows how to make a structurally stable bearing that can take a lot of weight? I was able to recreate Majorjim's awesome thermometer bearing but it wasn't able to take much load (in my case.) I did it on the Panzer IV by making it rotate via tons of reaction wheels and cubic struts stopping it from slipping away, but it's a crude system and won't work on the Tiger I either... snip

If you get really stuck, let me know and I can build you one for you. But like selfish_meme said, use the big ol' decoupler plus the small landing wheels. And build it with the no offset limits mod to reduce part count. And if possible try and have the turret's COM as close to the decoupler as possible.