Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

1 hour ago, Jolly_Roger said:

I created this WIP Cloud City using the unlimited offset mod but it floats like this in the stock game... no mods or hacks required.

12888569_176725482718683_150167231420942

JR

it doesn't move though I am guessing, still it is fantastic!

Is there an antennae underneath?

Edited by selfish_meme

49 minutes ago, Jolly_Roger said:

I created this WIP Cloud City using the unlimited offset mod but it floats like this in the stock game... no mods or hacks required.

JR

is the whole weight supported by those 6 offseted structural parts visible on the pad ? :)

as a sidenote, there's a stock way to make this kind of very long offset without the mod (though it's going to require 1 additionnal part for each support part) - inside a fairing, the child part of a fairing can be offseted almost anywhere within the fairing - and you can delete the shape afterwards (leaving the child part hanging very far from the fairing base). 

what can i say ;) even if the file can be loaded in a stock game, i prefer to be able to recreate techniques in a stock .craft without needing a mod to remake those :) 

12 minutes ago, sgt_flyer said:

is the whole weight supported by those 6 offseted structural parts visible on the pad ? :)

as a sidenote, there's a stock way to make this kind of very long offset without the mod (though it's going to require 1 additionnal part for each support part) - inside a fairing, the child part of a fairing can be offseted almost anywhere within the fairing - and you can delete the shape afterwards (leaving the child part hanging very far from the fairing base). 

what can i say ;) even if the file can be loaded in a stock game, i prefer to be able to recreate techniques in a stock .craft without needing a mod to remake those :) 

I can see the fairing technique working but the mod is just easier.  Also, the six plates are holding everything up but I connect them to various parts of the structure for added stability.  I'm not sure if that part of it could be done without the mod.

14 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

it doesn't move though I am guessing, still it is fantastic!

I haven't tried moving this version of Cloud City but there's no reason you couldn't (carefully) attach jet engines or even booster rockets to get it to other locations.  Again using a mod would be much easier and it would still be usable in the stock game.  My plan was to set it on the top of a mountain somewhere and then share out the save game file.

BTW I was able to (crash) land a small VTOL cloud car on it and walk around.  It was extremely cool but the footage was really rough (and it's an early WIP) so I won't be posting it to my Youtube channel.

Also, the really good news is that there's no reason this won't work in V1.1

JR

Edited by Jolly_Roger

17 minutes ago, Jolly_Roger said:

Also, the really good news is that there's no reason this won't work in V1.1

JR

yes, i'm more afraid in 1.1 for other stock tricks though, like one old (still working) trick that could create additionnal number of symmetries without a mod ;), or my open ended fairing technique :)

i really have to test those once we can test 1.1 :)

Edited by sgt_flyer

23 minutes ago, Rushligh said:

it My current project: The Cyclops Airship.

A high tech personnel transport shuttle with advanced labs and "land anywhere" ability. KSPI hybrid thermal engines and OGEMA reactos power the craft, with quiztech's jet rcs for precision maneuvering. suggested crew complement of 9, max crew complement of 25.

nUOGQKJQBne-xl5SzdVzsBbBr0uvSLKaZ5cizYYvsTsXyuegcziA7Rg95yUctmF1Z7wbSll_dIUvHESw

F0ri1jwHdng4dZ1-685GLOoUuNrTQxf8Hy8MILx_zj8Yh1TE8VRzoPozS1F-h6LQl0DNG4g1dBErh2rv

Yes, I did actually land this thing on the VAB roof pad fair and square.

kp3Os88XL-fGRHTgdm9LfbOUcTtY396qPOKWnZS1

Jetisonable bridge and escape pod with landing gear and chutes. (in case something goes REALLY wrong.) I'm still working on applying retrothrusters for landing instead of chutes. having trouble applying TCA to the pod instead of the old main body.

there's something wrong with your images for me :) i just see a random string of characters instead :) 

Just now, sgt_flyer said:

there's something wrong with your images for me :) i just see a random string of characters instead :) 

yea, someone else PM'd me about that. it must be a problem with dropbox. i can see them just fine. ill report in a bit once i have them uploaded somewhere else.

5 hours ago, Jolly_Roger said:

I can see the fairing technique working but the mod is just easier.

Agreed. And uses less parts and has a million other uses that you simply cannot do without it. I can't imagine why anyone would not use it.

4 hours ago, sgt_flyer said:

yes, i'm more afraid in 1.1 for other stock tricks though, like one old (still working) trick that could create additionnal number of symmetries without a mod ;),

Dude.. DL editor extensions!

4 hours ago, sgt_flyer said:

my open ended fairing technique

You mean, THE open ended fairing technique. I remember lots of people realizing how to do this when they where released, myself included without being shown by anyone. :wink:

Edited by Majorjim

15 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Agreed. And uses less parts and has a million other uses that you simply cannot do without it. I can't imagine why anyone would not use it.

Dude.. DL editor extensions!

You mean, THE open ended fairing technique. I remember lots of people realizing how to do this when they where released, myself included without being shown by anyone. :wink:

i don't use either mods for 1 main reason - i want that anyone who wishes to study my .crafts to be able to recreate my designs and techniques without having to DL those mods. if those tools become one day stock, i'll start using them at this time :)

besides,i find that having to fight the constraints during building is a good challenge :) using those mods would take away a good chunk of these challenges :) think of it as my propension to puzzle solving :)

Edited by sgt_flyer

1 hour ago, sgt_flyer said:

i don't use either mods for 1 main reason - i want that anyone who wishes to study my .crafts to be able to recreate my designs and techniques without having to DL those mods. if those tools become one day stock, i'll start using them at this time :)

besides,i find that having to fight the constraints during building is a good challenge :) using those mods would take away a good chunk of these challenges :) think of it as my propension to puzzle solving :)

That is of course fair enough matey. However using both editor mods does not remove any challenges it simply allows you to do more and to make better more complex craft with less parts. It elevates your challenges to a higher state, so to speak.

I just find it way too restrictive without them.

testing out a small 3-axis joint for 0g operations :) (entirely controlled through torque ^^) (gravity hack enabled for the test)

Looks interesting! And fragile. Have you tried it with weight on the end?

@Majorjim

not yet :) still working out the fine part translations to get lower chances of clip through :) (though the current version,the I-beam's weight swinging at full torque and impacting the base holds :))

still, it's was never meant for extremely high stresses anyway, it's a bit more for delicate 0g works ;)

Edited by sgt_flyer

@Majorjim

not yet :) still working out the fine part translations to get lower chances of clip through :) (though the current version,the I-beam's weight swinging at full torque and impacting the base holds :))

still, it's was never meant for extremely high stresses anyway, it's a bit more for delicate 0g works ;)

Sounds very promising! Do you have a craft in mind to use it?

5 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Okey doke!

I have a feeling it might be shuttle related?

maybe, maybe not ;) 

still, it's nice that you can surface attach things onto the linear RCS :) it's thanks to that i was able to build this joint :) (heck, the damn thing's even smaller than spider hinges ^^)

Edited by sgt_flyer

maybe, maybe not ;) 

still, it's nice that you can surface attach things onto the linear RCS :) it's thanks to that i was able to build this joint :) (heck, the damn thing's even smaller than spider hinges ^^)

Hmm, including all parts needed to make it work? The thermo hinge I made can be the size of one cubic strut.

Speaking of shuttles, I already have a working two stage Canadarm on my shuttle! I imagined that might be what you had in mind for this. Making it turn 360degrees at the base was tricky to say the least.

1 minute ago, Majorjim said:

Hmm, including all parts needed to make it work? The thermo hinge I made can be the size of one cubic strut.

Speaking of shuttles, I already have a working two stage Canadarm on my shuttle! I imagined that might be what you had in mind for this. Making it turn 360degrees at the base was tricky to say the least.

it's roughly cubic strut sized (the  (the omni RCS physics geometry is much smaller than it's 3d model), but with 3 DOF :) 

it's roughly cubic strut sized (the  (the omni RCS physics geometry is much smaller than it's 3d model), but with 3 DOF :) 

I will wait to see the finished product! It must be enclosed by something yes? Why the antenna parts? Yes, questions questions questions.

:D

the antennas are the enclosing :) could have made the enclosing out of thermometers too, but at an higher part count and more chances of clip through :) the 'closing' part on the opposite of the I-beam is a pressmat barometer :) - i basically enclose a sphere :) 

(for bodywork, the small ladder will do wonders to hide the gap ;))

Edited by sgt_flyer

the antennas are the enclosing :) could have made the enclosing out of thermometers too, but at an higher part count and more chances of clip through :) the 'closing' part on the opposite of the I-beam is a pressmat barometer :) - i basically enclose a sphere :) 

(for bodywork, the small ladder will do wonders to hide the gap ;))

I thought so. Yeah the antennas have a wider cross section but are much larger. Very interesting mate I will have a play this afternoon.