mbaj8ho.jpg

you can ignor the engine's and tail fin, they are there for the flowt test

Update:

Just to give you guys a idea how big it is

QQf7Cvj.jpg

Bob and bil cilling

Edited by soulreaver1981

Star Hunter

Testing Update: Testing Update: 04/05/2016 - At the moment Star Hunter is not liking reentry too much when light on fuel, I can burn in but holding the craft level is a problem, once I get out of control the stern is too heavy. During early testing with the a good load of fuel I was able to land without any struggle. Before I try shifting weight around to center the mass weight I will try something I am probably famous for......Vernor Engines! I wanted to add this any way with a docking port for refueling in space so now is a good time to do so for some control.

ObH5LSD.png

Edited by castille7

Near completion, during testing the craft wants to nose down a little but if that's the worst thing about it I may release it anyway because it's too much fun to keep it to myself. I've also remade my Indy Car, after seeing it recently when going through some old craft on Kerbalx I remembered how nice it handled and how fun it was to fly, so I decided to build it again. This will be the first craft I ever decided to rebuild and post again and only because how nice it handled.

LIL TIGER

Indy Car 7

Edited by castille7

Pretty new to the game, but I've got a nice little SSTO craft I've been working on; I'll consider it done when I can land it on a body other than Kerbin. My ability to fly it seems to be getting better since I designed it, but I'm still getting there! The large delta wings on this thing let it glide so nicely to land in Kerbin's atmosphere.

UPDATE: Now with more pictures and download link! Since I'm new to the whole SSTO flying thing, if you feel like flying it and giving suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Download link!

Edited by Caligari
Added more pictures and KerbalX download link.

I was playing around with rovers in 1.1 and I thought you guys might like to benefit from my research.

Heres a little test rover, I have played with camber and the friction controls, it's not perfect but it's a damn sight better than the stock settings, you can punt it around KSC without skidding too much. I can get a circuit done with only a spin or two. Download

2ktVVkC.png

Edited by selfish_meme

On 6/4/2016 at 11:14 PM, Caligari said:

Pretty new to the game, but I've got a nice little SSTO craft I've been working on; I'll consider it done when I can land it on a body other than Kerbin. My ability to fly it seems to be getting better since I designed it, but I'm still getting there! The large delta wings on this thing let it glide so nicely to land in Kerbin's atmosphere.

UPDATE: Now with more pictures and download link! Since I'm new to the whole SSTO flying thing, if you feel like flying it and giving suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Download link!

I like the look. But if you need TWR of 2.54 to fly, then the question is why do you have wings in the first place? It clearly has too much TWR even for a VTVL rocket. Drop at least a RAPIER, add a boopload of fuel, or do both things at the same time. A good TWR for an efficient SSTO is around 0.5, and ~0.7 will give you a very snappy one that makes orbit in less than ten minutes with minimal pilot input (and no risk of burning on the way up, too).

Rune. A good start would be to change the precoolers for LFO tanks and dropping the middle RAPIER.

Edited by Rune

1 hour ago, SaturnianBlue said:

I've finished the HMS Hood's hull. I was on vacation for a few days, so I didn't get that much done, but I have gotten the Hood to float.

After this, I guess you'll be doing HMS Prince of Wales next? Unless you want to do HMS Ark Royal so you can have some swordfish to harass the Bismarck.

I tweaked an existing SSTO design and added a nuke, ore drilling/refining, and room for an extra kerbal.  It makes it to minmus for refueling, but that took 3 years, 355 days!  I may try to squeeze in a single large drill instead of 3 small ones to see if it reduces refueling time.

Wn3L4ii.png

3 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

After this, I guess you'll be doing HMS Prince of Wales next? Unless you want to do HMS Ark Royal so you can have some swordfish to harass the Bismarck.

Yep, Prince Of Wales. I would like to do the Ark Royal too, but I probably won't be able to make it in time for the 75th Anniversary.

Edit: Here: Here's to cap off the day, I've gotten the first floor up done, i'm working on balancing the ship and adding detail and the superstructure. The wing connectors are just showing the actual smokestack length, and the center part is just showing the space between that.

Edited by SaturnianBlue

In 1.1 Prerelease - finally managed to get a working SSTO spaceplane. Im a lousy pilot and its been hit and miss for me and SSTOs until now. Heres a pic of the cargo variant launching a KerbSat for a contract.

E66AE2883FE7485E8D393DF16DF1227F8439FDE3

Worked like a charm until final approach - dropped the landing gear and the plane disintegrated (known wheel collider bug in current build). Interesting that it fine going up though.

Poor Jeb. At least he's immortal.

Working towards a first release of Real Ships 0.1.

All panels have a configurable amount of armor at the expense of mass. Deckplating, structural plating and hull plating type A are combined into a single type. Less part clutter in the editor. Less parts needed when building ships, buoyancy & balance is done by changing the amount of armor.

Only the frame parts are buoyant and simulate flooding, all the others have zero buoyancy.

All panels have a mask and are paintable a different colour on both sides, the hull panels have an option to paint the lower half for the anti-fouling paint. This will lower part count when building replicas @SaturnianBlue.

6 hours ago, Azimech said:

Only the frame parts are buoyant and simulate flooding, all the others have zero buoyancy.

All panels have a mask and are paintable a different colour on both sides, the hull panels have an option to paint the lower half for the anti-fouling paint. This will lower part count when building replicas @SaturnianBlue.

The only problem is that some ship hulls have not so straight shapes, especially with stuff like bulges and such.

31 minutes ago, SaturnianBlue said:

The only problem is that some ship hulls have not so straight shapes, especially with stuff like bulges and such.

I'm planning to implement a mesh switcher as well, to switch between straight and curved panels.

Edited by Azimech

I made my third prototype of an A6M Zero, it looks far better.. but the performance is less than crap.

It's slow and it has very little fuel. In a 4 minute flight, it ran out of fuel, and.. it can barely maneuver.

47pqOTP.pngUolHH5O.pngCNXVqyR.png

5 minutes ago, Columbia said:

it ran out of fuel, and.. it can barely maneuver

Replace structural fuselage with fuel, get proper CoM/CoL by offsetting ore tanks. 

To help maneuvering, spam reaction wheels and RTGs near the center of mass.

try to put the CoL right behind the CoM.

21 minutes ago, Heckspress said:

Replace structural fuselage with fuel, get proper CoM/CoL by offsetting ore tanks. 

KSSSST! Reaction wheels on an airplane. Time for an exorcism.

:P

Just now, Azimech said:

KSSSST! Reaction wheels on an airplane. Time for an exorcism.

:P

Last resort options.

Plus I'm telling him how to induce Supermaneuverability, which requires forces other than flaps etc to work properly.

i'm not even sure if the Zero was supermaneuverable, but w/e

10 minutes ago, Heckspress said:

Last resort options.

Plus I'm telling him how to induce Supermaneuverability, which requires forces other than flaps etc to work properly.

i'm not even sure if the Zero was supermaneuverable, but w/e

Yeah, it was famed for its exceptionally low turn radius in the early parts of the war, but the US pilots learned to exploit the Zero's weakness while relying on their Wildcat's own strengths. Once the newer Hellcats and Corsairs came out in 1943/1944, the Zero pretty much lost its dominance over th Pacific skies, and very few were even available for combat after Leyte Gulf.

1 hour ago, Heckspress said:

Those aren't structural fuselages. They're fuel tanks. Ore tanks will make the thing heavier (it's already beyond minimum weight for a WW2 Fighter in my standards.)

I'll try that, but right now my priority is getting weight down so it can actually fly faster.

It already is placed behind the COM.

Aaaand if it's really really maneuverable, it will disintegrate with hard turns. 

Also, what's bad about reaction wheels on a plane?