Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

16 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

F8ZuOyq.jpg

From Build a Kerbal Scale ISS, making props for trailer

I'll see your non-stock crawler and raise you my own stock Mobile Launcher Platform

cZA8cp6.png

Still needs a bit of structural reinforcement and access arms.

Edited by pTrevTrevs

3 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

I'll see your non-stock crawler and raise you my own stock Mobile Launcher Platform

cZA8cp6.png

Still needs a bit of structural reinforcement and access arms.

I'll see your stock Mobile Launcher Platform and raise you a stock strut-built Falcon 1 gantry from an abandoned project:

AKqhKAn.png

(It's not as impressive as I remember.)

3 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I'll see your stock Mobile Launcher Platform and raise you a stock strut-built Falcon 1 gantry from an abandoned project:

AKqhKAn.png

(It's not as impressive as I remember.)

Ok I am all in with my ManLift BUT!! I still think the @selfish_meme has got us all beat with his Royal Flush!

Z8uEeh5.png

48 minutes ago, castille7 said:

Ok I am all in with my ManLift BUT!! I still think the @selfish_meme has got us all beat with his Royal Flush!

I didn't make mine though, so it's a different race, heres my best lame attempt at a launch tower so far, uses internal magic lifts

PYiHUXx.png

Edited by selfish_meme

Rebuilt my P-40E from scratch:

yXK78tj.png

OvaE0VL.png

Built a De Havilland Mosquito for once:

IfGWrf4.png

As well as a Kawasaki Ki-61:

ta5wuiw.png

And finally, after watching Apollo 13 (which I LOVED by the way), I started work on a Saturn V/Skylab. It's been going better than expected, really.

dGePBFO.png

KZkVIuZ.png

I also need to make that solar panel bigger.

4 hours ago, Columbia said:

Rebuilt my P-40E from scratch:

yXK78tj.png

OvaE0VL.png

Ermaguhd...that Kitty...so purrdy (Ba-dum).

Seriously though, it looks awesome man, nice replica. And here, have a cookie. What now Dave? What, they don't allow cookie distribution here? Never mind, have some Rep instead :D

I added access arms to the launch tower, but it looks like it may have to be a display piece only, because whenever the launch clamps holding the Ares I's first stage detach they are counted as separate craft... which are clipped into the launch platform... so the entire thing explodes. On the bright side, the tower itself is rock solid, it hasn't exploded once!

QvAQnJj.png

7qTuSqV.png

Any other updates for the tower will be posted here instead of my Constellation release thread, because I don't plan on doing another tower for Ares V.

Hi all!  

I've been slowly chugging along for a while now on trying to figure out how to get two kerbals off the surface in the smallest lander possible that can still dock at the end of it's journey to orbit for recovery.

I don't want to be burdened by the requirement of a pilot, so I also included a probe core and some batteries and solar panels, and this is the end result.

The problem is, I can't for the life of me come up with something I can send on a landing trajectory with a tug, and then return to orbit.  If it has the brass to ascend, it burns up during the landing phase. If it can survive landing, it doesn't have the oomph to reach orbit.  I would happily take any advice or help on trying to get this little guy to orbit. Attached below the service bay in the craft file, you will find a Mass Simulator with the equivalent mass of one kerbal (you'll need two if you want to simulate a full bay), something I've found necessary for accurate design. Manipulate it from the octagonal strut, that's the base piece.

Craft file here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2nQsVJsiEkNVTJJX2dBTTF0dGM/view?usp=sharing

Been wanting to build one of these and I just got inspired again by one recently posted on KerbalX. Over heating right now, tweaks needed.

tWVZAXp.png

Still working on this one. I will be changing the fan blades to it won't look like a Pinwheel :blush: I am getting some ideas from @erasmusguy on KerbalX like making an enclosure and that made it look more like an electric motor, I will try it again after more tweaks are made. I will also try to lay the tanks down and squeeze everything in to make it smaller, oh and I thought about doubling the wheel bearings to smooth out the spin. More updates coming later.

Testing and Tweaking

I am currently squeezing this one to make it smaller and it's looking much better than the one in the video here.

Edited by castille7

19 hours ago, TangerineSedge said:

Ermaguhd...that Kitty...so purrdy (Ba-dum).

Seriously though, it looks awesome man, nice replica. And here, have a cookie. What now Dave? What, they don't allow cookie distribution here? Never mind, have some Rep instead :D

Thank you! :D

I've finally got the bulk of the Saturn V aloft, tomorrow's for aesthetic refinement. Also got the Skylab into orbit.

s3nJnt4.png

I need to work on that separation..

d9x4Jir.png

Also, while I'm at it, here's a comparison:

Skylab_(SL-4).jpg

LHxe9e7.png

It's good to be working on rocketry again. Way more relaxing.

7 hours ago, Columbia said:

Thank you! :D

I've finally got the bulk of the Saturn V aloft, tomorrow's for aesthetic refinement. Also got the Skylab into orbit.

I need to work on that separation. 

Also, while I'm at it, here's a comparison:

It's good to be working on rocketry again. Way more relaxing.

Thats funny I was doing my Mars mission to relax as well after doing so much config editing.

I'm supersizing my N1 rocket for a Duna lander configuration, until then the N2 rocket is just a better N1 modification, for landing on the moon, and the supersized one will be taking a while of work and troubleshooting.

As of right now... on the way to Duna without a supersized launcher...

The N2 will require two launches, and it will launch the payload, and the crew, then it will launch the engines, fuel, and supplies.

A third launch of the N2 may be required for a rover, or skycrane, and rover package.

N1 here: 

Edited by He_162

I was side tracked from my Oilfield Project after watching the 80's movie Top Gun, I really got pumped watching those Tomcats in action. I just a made some more tweaks to the Aircraft Carrier.

yd7r2pC.png

1 hour ago, castille7 said:

I was side tracked from my Oilfield Project after watching the 80's movie Top Gun, I really got pumped watching those Tomcats in action. I just a made some more tweaks to the Aircraft Carrier.

It's always appropriate when talking about Top Gun, plus a shameless plug, it is really hard to land an F-14 on a carrier

I may have something here to round up R-SUV's 1.1 catalogue...

ikRzdaO.png

This could finally be the single-RAPIER design I'm happy with. It can carry a standard crew of three, or be very easily converted into a smallsat launcher. LKO+500m/s, too, which is enough to work with on most occasions. What do you guys think?

Rune. That is, when I finally get around to writing that up! :P

Edited by Rune

44 minutes ago, Rune said:

I may have something here to round up R-SUV's 1.1 catalogue...

This could finally be the single-RAPIER design I'm happy with. It can carry a standard crew of three, or be very easily converted into a smallsat launcher. LKO+500m/s, too, which is enough to work with on most occasions. What do you guys think?

Rune. That is, when I finally get around to writing that up! :P

Nice!

Saturn V/Skylab progress:

Made a launch tower for it. It added 200~ more parts, and made launching FAR more difficult if not impossible.

OXvxn7i.pngh9OOM3t.png

The girders would sometimes hit the rocket disintegrating it into pieces. Or it would survive..

fEFcqkc.png

And at points the launchpad craps itself.

ercVQtb.png

28 minutes ago, Columbia said:

Saturn V/Skylab progress:

Made a launch tower for it. It added 200~ more parts, and made launching FAR more difficult if not impossible.

The girders would sometimes hit the rocket disintegrating it into pieces. Or it would survive..

And at points the launchpad craps itself.

@Columbia Is that a TT-70 Radial Decoupler on the lower end of the Rocket? This could be your trigger for destruction. If so I've been using TR-2C Stack Separators for this application and having better luck with them.

Edited by castille7

I have a question with this post, should I keep my post all together when posting on this Thread or just keep adding them on as I go? The reason I am asking, when you keep all the post together no one knows that you made an update to the original and may never see it, most of us will not go back in the history to see if any updates were made and you can only follow the Thread itself. So for now I am not going to keep my subjects together, my WIP will just be added to the Thread and open for discussion.

"PROJECT SENTINEL"

Weaponry Added to the Tomcats

k0PTMXc.png

If we are going to protect we need some Weaponry!

Edited by castille7

7 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

Nice!

I get the point, I'll see if I can upload the file to KerbalX this evening at some point, for the early adopters to test out and tell me the glaring errors I'm making (I can already spot one, can you guess what is it?). Thanks for the replikes, everyone! :)

2 hours ago, castille7 said:

I have a question with this post, should I keep my post all together when posting on this Thread or just keep adding them on as I go? The reason I am asking, when you keep all the post together no one knows that you made an update to the original and may never see it, most of us will not go back in the history to see if any updates were made and you can only follow the Thread itself. So for now I am not going to keep my subjects together, my WIP will just be added to the Thread and open for discussion.

Sure, as long as you have something worth mentioning/asking about, a new post is the way to go.

Rune. Been seeing those tomcats around, BTW, I'm saving the replike for the finished thing. :wink:

7 minutes ago, Rune said:

I get the point, I'll see if I can upload the file to KerbalX this evening at some point, for the early adopters to test out and tell me the glaring errors I'm making (I can already spot one, can you guess what is it?). Thanks for the replikes, everyone! :)

Sure, as long as you have something worth mentioning/asking about, a new post is the way to go.

Rune. Been seeing those tomcats around, BTW, I'm saving the replike for the finished thing. :wink:

Thanks so much for reply and Rep later sounds good to me. I will run with my posting as you mentioned.