Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

2 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

What kind of control problems? Is it not turning as fast as you want, or turning in a direction 90° clockwise from where you want it to? Or something else? If it's one of the first two it is likely caused by gyroscopic effects of the rotor. You can either override these by adding moar reaction wheels, or try to minimize the rotor's moment of inertia by trying to keep most of its mass near the hub (remove fuel from the mark0 tanks at the ends, and if needed, put the fuel tanks at the blade root or in the center). If it's the latter, what's going on?

As for the rotor exploding: Is it expanding before exploding? Such may indicate it is spinning fast enough to rip apart. Solutions could include removing fuel from the Mk0 tanks (so as to reduce tension on the blades) and/or adding more blades without adding more torque (tip jets) so the rotor will get more lift while spinning at a lower speed. If the rotor is exploding in a different manner I have no idea what's going on.

Anyways, hope some of this is helpful! Let me know if you have any questions for a turbohead. :P

The control issues are mostly from torque, though not only is it turning weirdly but it's pitching and rolling as well. My solution to this will probably involve stacking 2 rotors somehow.

The explosions happen mostly with maneuvering; the bearing is either becoming over stressed or the rotor is disconnecting from the helicopter due to stress, then is clipping with other parts causing explosions. Though it does look like one of my fuselage parts might be a tiny bit too high. This is still highly experimental.

F-111 Aardvark Analogue

Here's a little labour of love I've worked on. I can't seem myself coming back it to, so let's say it's finished. I'm not calling it a replica, as it's not close enough for my liking. I made it in part to demonstrate a small mod, well config really which is fuel dump and burner. (There's still a little work to go, but if I get interest from people I could finish it off as a mod and release it.)

Ever seen this? 
xSRS2Q0.jpg

I have, at an air show. It's quite spectacular. It's the great General Dynamics F-111 'Aadvark'. It's now retired, but served as a highly capable strategic and tactical bomber in various guises, after being developed with carrier defense and strike in mind. It's known for its large internal fuel carriage and subsequent long range, variable-geometry wings (popularising the concept prior to the development of the F-14, Tornado or Soviet swing-wings), enabling better flight characteristics at various airspeeds, and low-altitude high-speed terrain following ability.
So in memorial to the great F-111, in homage to the spectacular dump and burn it could perform and in honour of the pilots, ground crew and maintainers of these aircraft in the RAAF...I present my Pig.

4QBVPKM.png

Features:

-Dry/wet masses, and thrust close in proportion to real aircraft.
-Working variable-geometry wings based on the lengthened-wing C version. Wing sweep very similar angles to real aircraft. 
-Working bomb bay doors.
-Working fuel dumper (my simple mod/cfg simply takes the puff model and more or less adds the SRB animation whilst drinking fuel)
-Mods: Firespitter, B9, SXT, IR, tweakscale, KJR, MavAusAero (my own WIP mod).
-Side-by-side cockpit
-Parts: 82
-My KSP play is mainly peaceful, so conceptually it's been converted into the 'CR-111' for cargo and aerial survey duties.

MBpFNtH.png

H7KEGwp.png

fgEyhO8.png

Full album

(To add it to the spacecraft exchange, I'll have to finish off the mod/repack of parts. This is still a bit of work. So if there's enough interest, maybe I'll prioritise that.) 

Edited by Maverick_aus

I need help. I’m designing this stock ultra heavily armored personnel carrier, and for some reason, the front wheels refuse to work.

qW9utd7.jpg

Can somebody please download this and help me figure out the problem with the wheels? https://kerbalx.com/Mycroft_33/Armored-Personnel-Carrier-Mk2-TEST Please change only what’s necessary to fix it.

Thank you,

Mycroft, CEO of CMAU

P.S. Whoever solves the problem will get credit in the final product.

Edited by Mycroft

1 hour ago, Mycroft said:

and for some reason, the front wheels refuse to work.

They are blocked man. This was a quick 'fix' for some horrid phantom forces created by the new wheel physics. Either move parts away from the wheel until it works or wait for the next patch which will remove this 'fix'.

3 hours ago, Mycroft said:

I need help. I’m designing this stock ultra heavily armored personnel carrier, and for some reason, the front wheels refuse to work.

qW9utd7.jpg

Can somebody please download this and help me figure out the problem with the wheels? https://kerbalx.com/Mycroft_33/Armored-Personnel-Carrier-Mk2-TEST Please change only what’s necessary to fix it.

Thank you,

Mycroft, CEO of CMAU

P.S. Whoever solves the problem will get credit in the final product.

Hey Mycroft,

I've found a short temporary workaround by slightly offsetting the front wheels a bit, hope this helps! By the way, its pretty slow... oh well, can't complain with triple layer armour!

Link: https://kerbalx.com/YangQiming_/Armored-Personnel-Carrier-Mk2

Enjoy!

Cheers,

YangQiming_

Combined Commander, Kerbin Armed Forces

Edited by YangQiming_

8 hours ago, Mycroft said:

the front wheels refuse to work.

Very usual issue for anyone who hasn't used the 1.1 wheels. With the update, Squad kind of broke them by giving them a ridiculously large hitbox. Remove the side panels, and you should be fine.

Thanks for the help! I literally spent hours moving everything away from the wheels. Sooooo frustrating! I finally found a solution on my own this morning. I actually had to move the front wheels in just a bit. Still, credit will go to @YangQiming_, since he got it working. As to the slowness, I hope to add some more wheels, but I wanted to get a working model first. @NotAnAimbot, it does actually have a probe core in the back, protected by several layers of armor.

1 hour ago, Mycroft said:

As to the slowness

You can also tweak friction and traction control to help. Higher friction makes the vehicle stick better, and a custom 100% traction control disables automatic braking (kind of ABS), which might help.

10 minutes ago, NotAnAimbot said:

You can also tweak friction and traction control to help. Higher friction makes the vehicle stick better, and a custom 100% traction control disables automatic braking (kind of ABS), which might help.

He's just using a very slow wheel. Traction settings will not affect speed at all sadly.

Thank you everybody for your help! I genuinely appreciate it! I have deleted the craft, so the link will no longer work. It will be back, better than ever, soon!

Thank you!

-Mycroft, CEO of CMAU Incorporated

17 hours ago, Noname117 said:

Much more progress today! Still some control issues, but not as bad as the other ones. And the feasibility of counter-rotating rotors is shown!

Coaxial helicopters do seem to reduce the rotational forces and mean the blades can rotate slower. I would suggest you move the top and bottom blades away from each other as in my design they kept colliding with each other.  It looks like a good design though. 

Mine still has some control issues (slight clockwise turning but they aren't that bad).

29 minutes ago, mrmcp1 said:

Coaxial helicopters do seem to reduce the rotational forces and mean the blades can rotate slower. I would suggest you move the top and bottom blades away from each other as in my design they kept colliding with each other.  It looks like a good design though. 

Mine still has some control issues (slight clockwise turning but they aren't that bad).

Except I don't have to worry about the rotors colliding in my design.

Tried to make a production version of it, and so far it explodes in midair...

Maybe my dream of claw bearing helicopters will never fully be realized.

So, despite running regularly low on time due to college, I started looking at my old aircraft designs...

K4myjVq.png

This older design (the ATS-FX2 Ronin, one of my more uniquely-designed fighter jets to date) inspired me to whip up a smaller, JSF-program inspired successor, codenamed the Wakizashi.

3z8ODUU.png

The Wakizashi retains much of the agility and aesthetics of the Ronin, while weighing a third of the wet mass of the ATS-FX2 (without a BD weapon load on either) and featuring a wonderfully low partcount of roughly 40.

In addition, I've begun working off-and-on on a ship inspired by the concepts for SpaceX's BFS/MCT colony vessel, utilizing a core ship, lifter rocket, and nuclear propulsion tug.

UwKyO83.png

It's far from easy to pull off, but it's a nice challenge and is quite invigorating to try and suss out.

2 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

"Size

Height: 406.1m

Width: 380.4m

Length: 406.1m"

HOW??? IT FITS INSIDE THE SPH AT THAT SIZE?!?!?  Seriously what's up with that?

Looks cool though!

Huh. Dont know why it says that. I never noticed before.

THATS KSP FOR YA FOLKS

Guess it's a pretty cool glitch. I didn't use tweakscale or any mods so it's not re-scaled.

Yeah thanks i worked for 2 weeks on this. However it doesn't work at all without KJR. The nacelle arms are WAAAYYYY too flimsy to support the several dozen ton engines. The throat also has trouble supporting the secondary hull in stock physics even though it's double skinned and has a internal reinforced skeleton. On the upside it looks really cool when you re-enter the atmosphere or blow it up!

13 hours ago, Noname117 said:

Except I don't have to worry about the rotors colliding in my design.

Tried to make a production version of it, and so far it explodes in midair...

Maybe my dream of claw bearing helicopters will never fully be realized.

Is it the bearing itself that is exploding? 

15 minutes ago, mrmcp1 said:

Is it the bearing itself that is exploding? 

Yes, the bearing itself is exploding. Or it could the the helicopter rotors detaching, causing the bearing to explode. But yes, the problem seems to be in the bearing area rather than with the rotors.

5 hours ago, Noname117 said:

Yes, the bearing itself is exploding. Or it could the the helicopter rotors detaching, causing the bearing to explode. But yes, the problem seems to be in the bearing area rather than with the rotors.

Do you think I could take a look?

SSTO Energy Source Update

I've been getting back to work on Energy Source to complete it and I am really loving the cleaner look, the triple split wings, the forward double wings and the quad tails were bothering me. A few other changes were made along with these. I like the strength and thick look of these large wings and I didn't want to get away from using them. I was able to make single wings that are working well. 

st7RVTM.png

WgtI2Ve.png

f1iTzQn.png

d9W1seq.png

RNS9LR0.png

GI8Xxdw.png

In the early stages of testing the new wings they were interfering with the Cargo Bay. The cargo being tested are Mobile Fuel Tanks, these are a new concept for adding fuel tanks to a Fuel Station, with a attached to them a pilot can shuttle the tank back a forth to the station and craft. I fixed the problem I was having with the wings by swapping the Bays to the inside of the craft and the fuel tanks to the outside of the craft. I am still working on action groups and on making a successful transfer to a space station.

Ave48ar.png

xlHq4ah.png

Edited by Castille7
Added more pictures

I'm pretty happy with a new crew shuttle I just whipped up for the Stock Community Space Station project, since it's my first effective lifting-body-style one in a long time.

TlEi0dy.png

Inspirations include the X-38, X-33, and the various concepts out there for a manned version of the X-37B drone shuttle.

Edited by ScriptKitt3h