Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Dropships!

With two cargo bays for rovers and about 4500 Delta V, this thing is turning out to be one of the best ships I've made. It's got lots of issues, but it's been a great learning experience and the knowledge gained from it will be very helpful in making the next version.

sj4Bbdu.png

8coZqJW.png

Edited by Dreadthrone

Speed Boat K.A.K. (Kerbals Are Kute)

Got another request from KerbalsAreKute on KerbalX, the request was to build another Speed Boat for 1.2 because the older version is not working anymore due to up dates. Here is what the craft is looking like.

ISbTs5R.png

fIqGuuV.png

Spoiler

RhuCPIQ.png

Coming out of the water near 100 m/s

yOb0mqz.png

So, I was told my carrier was missing an elevator and hangar... :D...

VL81Bbp.png

02zdoRQ.png

She should easily carry 24 aircraft now. The hangar is pretty tall as well. Improved hydrodynamic hull and increased fuel load should allow the ship to cruise 4000 KM.

Edited by andrew123

Water Spider

I recently got a request to build a speed boat and the boat is being built to large so a request was made for something smaller. Water Spider is what I came up with. The craft was not making much speed so additional engines were added, it's still a wip at this time but here is my progress.

1DxmMn5.png

3uxKDxZ.png

Spoiler

XLQeyOD.png

G9K3s2x.png

1R9r8tO.png

9 hours ago, Columbia said:

..Yeah. I'm sticking with Mk3. Sorry, @Gman_builder.

Lmao

Bro it just takes practice. My first few looked like trash as well. But obviously with a bigger plane you have more room to add detail and its easier to make smoother shapes because there are no tiny panel pieces. The best parts for this by far is the small radiator but it's just too large to be used on Mk3 sized cockpits. My 777 was 100% scale so it was twice the diameter of the normal mk3 fuselage making it much easier.

6 hours ago, andrew123 said:

So, I was told my carrier was missing an elevator and hangar... :D...

VL81Bbp.png

02zdoRQ.png

She should easily carry 24 aircraft now. The hangar is pretty tall as well. Improved hydrodynamic hull and increased fuel load should allow the ship to cruise 4000 KM.

Very cool :-) What system did you use for the elevator?

And apparently Hangar Extender has been updated for 1.2.

Edited by Azimech

Benoist Airboat

St. Petersburg, Florida, is not generally considered a city that can boast of an aviation ‘first.’ But on January 1, 1914, the St. Petersburg-Tampa Airboat Line was born there–the world’s first scheduled airline using winged aircraft. A plaque on the entrance to St. Petersburg International Airport proclaims: ‘The Birthplace of Scheduled Air Transportation.’

B2kDYYN.png

5GrXxxO.png

S.101.p4-P.2007-15187_640.jpg

Edited by Castille7

The HMAS Sydney is almost done; today I attached @kapteenipirk Walrus aircraft onto the HMAS Sydney. To simulate the sinking I've had an action group primed to destroy the keel supporting the front (with the kaboom! mod), and hyper edit in as much water as possible. Sydney still needs some work—it's turrets that have IR rotatrons (so the turrets appear aimed at the Kormoran even though it's not the active vessel) only work sometimes, and often only 1 turret or 3 at a time. I've decided to simulate Kormoran's sinking by a huge bomb and also filing water to the max. Both sadly suffer from the torpedoes from NAS sinking into the water and not moving, which might be because the game version i'm using (1.0.5 because of kerbpaint) does not support it. Overall the project is likely to be able to start soon.AosoujE.pngE1JP41t.png

Well im working on this thing now, really impressed with the fact that not only is the part count quite reasonable (~300 for the ship itself), but its fully functional as a assault carrier/warship hybrid and actually ended up looking pretty damn similar to the battlestar pegasus it is modeled after. 

iS2oUAo.png

GVfcDJo.png

FmCpedb.png

Has plenty of room for fighters/dropships/whatnot inside the bays.  I ended up going with a double MK3 bay since anything smaller would not fit my viper replicas, yeah it doesnt look anything like the Pegasus's fighter bays (and the scale is completely wrong since the vipers are literally the size of the entire bay), but its the best thing i could do to keep it functional and not kill myself with part count (proper looking bays require like 100 parts each and can barely fit a mk1 fuel tank let alone a fighter replica).  The forward section is saturated with cannons, fairly close to authentic locations although i ended up only modeling the ones on the front section due to part count concerns (and fairly few things can survive a full salvo from it anyway).  Tears holes in the basestar replica i made a while ago and that ship isnt what id call unarmored, so i think its good in the guns dept.  TWR, dV, and overall maneuverability is fairly solid as well, and it has enough fuel  to keep 2 full squadrons operational and go interplanetary on its LFO drives (might make a nuclear booster for it as it has a docking port on the backside which was initially placed there for external fuel tank use).

IDAsfxr.png

Its not quite finished, and it isnt perfect (especially those ugly fighter bays that look nothing like the real ones), but i think its pretty solid and can actually be used in a real battle since it doesnt have insane part count.  Its actually possible to have a 2 vs 2 battlestar vs basestar with 1 squadron (2-4 fighters) of corresponding fighters per ship (raiders for cylons and vipers for the meatbags) before the lag makes it borderline impossible to do anything.  If you keep both sides outside of physics loading range it runs super smoothly with just 2 ships or either side.

BrRwNQR.png

Im actually almost done with every single meaningful BSG replica (at least the combat ships) there is to make.  All i really havent done is a raptor (shouldnt be that hard, no dropship can be as much of a nightmare to make as the bloody heavy raider which took me like an entire day).  Ofc im also missing galactica, but that is probably one ill have to pass up since the curvy styled hull (pegasus has curves too but only on the front and the engine clusters, the latter of which is easy as the mk2 parts look close enough) is a literal nightmare to make decent without using procedural parts (and while i always could use that mod, i actually enjoy the challenge of stock replicas more then just using a mod that will let me make anything with 0 effort).

As of now i have:

*viper (both mk-2 and mk-7)

*raider (both types)

*heavy raider (needs to be redone but it does actually "work" and kinda look right)

*basestar

*battlestar pegasus

Now to make a raptor and possibly galactica if i can find a way to do that without either going nuts on parts or using any mods).

Edited by panzer1b

12 hours ago, soulreaver1981 said:

hey guys here is a fighter that is almost ready for release.

7pcPCaX.jpg

i think the wing is pretty cool looking and it turns quite fast.

YLeK76o.png

it has my custom copit with ection seat.

Those airbrakes are wonderful for custom fighter cockpits, aren't they?

On 11/8/2016 at 1:21 AM, ScriptKitt3h said:

Those airbrakes are wonderful for custom fighter cockpits, aren't they?

Not to mention the slew of other uses...

Ive thusfar used them as:

Airbrakes (mostly on parachute-less escape pods)

Fighter hull paneling

Landing legs (yeah they do actually work VERY well in this regard)

Aesthetics

Cockpit covers (like you guys)

Doors for custom hangar bays and or interior of the ship (used to use that antenna with the extending anim, but airbrakes look cooler and work better)

Weapons bay doors (they look very good on sci-fi ships that have internally stored missile pods)

All in all, one of my more commonly used parts for every situation where part count isnt super critical (on a large vessel it takes quite a few of them to accomplish anything)...

Power Boat Racing Set

Power Boat Racing is becoming another fun filled project for me. After building a short course and zooming through the Buoys with the Cockpit View and slamming into some this was actually thrilling. Some of the craft here are performing well some are not and may not be released when the project is complete. The plan is to have a set of craft for racing and a craft for building and maintaining a race course. The course maintenance craft name is Sea-Master, each of it's Buoys have their own Probe Core to allow it to be set upright after placement. The featured craft is Panic Attack which is the latest build being tested.

zwM4vvx.png

From Left to Right: Frantic, Kerbo Turbo, Sea Master, Sea Blitz & Panic Attack

6FKwa4V.png

I built a second, two and a half times larger replica of the RMS Titanic -- And it's not all that laggy, either! 1.2's amazing. For something this massive (in MY standards), 406 parts is pretty good for its bulk. Autostrutting's a godsend.

As you can see though, a lot of detail is still missing.

76SpZXp.png

yEQ25QF.png

I threw two Goliaths inside the ship --- It was long enough to not block the exhaust -- and sent it out for speedtests.

The funnels added an unexpectedly high weight to the ship despite being empty.

Test 1 (No Funnels, No Mk3 Buoyants): 11.1 m/s

Test 2 (No Funnels): 21 m/s

Test 3 (Current Form): 17.8 m/s

That's it so far.

cherbour.jpg

JZJSSqA.png

Still damn proud of it though.

I let my ADHD take hold for my birthday, and took a break from tweaking the B-52's engine looks to start a couple of other things, including a replica I never had plans to make. O2xILa6.jpg

[I don't have the screenshot currently for another small plane that had 2 junos. Basically, I've been working on small, high performance aircraft that use a COL very close to the COM to allow high g turns with only a couple degrees of control surface deflection. This allows lower drag from the control surfaces, and thus allows me to keep high speed with a small engine.]

n9ilkVD.jpg

I'm guessing most knowledgeable people here can tell what this is going to be.