Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

On November 28, 2016 at 9:26 PM, pTrevTrevs said:

.... I don't think the B-52 can even carry that many bombs...

It's late and stupid to answer that comment, but the B-52D in its "Big Belly" configuration was configured to realize carpet bombing over the Vietnam jungle with 108 Mk-82. 84 (21 racks of 4) in the bay and 24 (3 x 8) on the external pylons. 

b52d-75t.gif

Well, a new post I should as much use it to expose the works which seems impossible to end for me...

The Meteor :

G6VeHGR.png

HIs6lYb.png

Only two stages to orbit. Instead of using cost full booster I choose simple and cheap external drop tanks.

Surprisingly forgiving during the first seconds and maneuverable.

But once it circularized at 120 km only 420 m/s are still available. The Vector being so inefficient in vacuum.

And the Hecate ("Doom Chaser") :

dMmGBr4.png

qujqku3.png

Absolutely the opposite of the first one it has more than enough of delta-V once in orbit... the problem being to reach the orbit. Or to be more precise the first minutes are terrible. So terrible that it is the first craft in more than a year with whom I can't use MechJeb's Ascent Guidance. Even when starting to pitch down around 40 m/s...

Every climbs had to be made manually :wink: 

The second stage is Centaur-like and got more than 1500 m/s available.

But still a lot of work is needed before making it a Dream instead of Doom craft.

Edited by XB-70A

15 hours ago, __Ultimatum said:

The W.A.T.F Shuttle Mk2 WIP

*snip*

Yeah, the wing design didn't end up working, the center of lift was pointing at a 45 degree angle downwards when I was finished and it was overly bulky and part heavy, so I started again!.

I'm back to the body and a sleek fin design curving around the engine cells, what I need is suggestions as to what sort of wing design would work well with the theme. 

5181ccd5136d40b2b9c2bd11281fcf6b.png

Starting work on the superstructure of this massive 70 meter ship.

tSX4OIV.png

It's kinda neat too because the turrets are fully stock that have full horizontal and vertical traverse plus guns that fire semi-guided projectiles with a 8 kilometer range. Current part count is around 1400 and climbing. I have to finish the superstructure, add the other 2 guns (400 parts each) and add some detail(railings, small guns, cranes, etc.)

0FTrVHY.png

@Columbia How many parts does the Titanic have? When will a download go up? I really wanna blow it up(no offense XD)

Edited by Gman_builder

On 11/28/2016 at 9:26 PM, pTrevTrevs said:

.... I don't think the B-52 can even carry that many bombs...

How do you release them, during level flight or have you attempted dive bombing?

BDA has a "ripple" feature, or "hold down click and however much instance of that weapon is going downrange". GPS guidance saved me on the accuracy bit here.

And yes, somehow, this tiny fighter-bomber can carry twice as much as the B-52. (63852.6 kg for Phoenix vs 34500 kg for B-52)

Edited by wrench-in-the-works
stupid formatting

7 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

l

@Columbia How many parts does the Titanic have? When will a download go up? I really wanna blow it up(no offense XD)

1. 613 right now, but that's very very likely to increase. I'm yet to add the full astern engines, some rigging, possibly an interior for the bridge, a few deck details at the rear of the ship, and the lookout's nest. 

2. Next week probably, though I'm thinking of making a cinematic for it. After all, it was a pretty big project. Might take longer.

Can't blame you for wanting to blow it up lol, I have more screens of me blowing it to bits than actually sailing it. 

14 hours ago, Columbia said:

1. 613 right now, but that's very very likely to increase. I'm yet to add the full astern engines, some rigging, possibly an interior for the bridge, a few deck details at the rear of the ship, and the lookout's nest. 

2. Next week probably, though I'm thinking of making a cinematic for it. After all, it was a pretty big project. Might take longer.

Can't blame you for wanting to blow it up lol, I have more screens of me blowing it to bits than actually sailing it. 

Cool. Yeah i like blowing up ships. I always make mine out of steel panels because they sink when they lose all the flotation parts. BD usually makes rounds teleport through the hull and blows up interior parts which sometimes results in full ships underwater. 

Spoiler

1Y7b2f4.pngkC2xsjF.pnggJzD99D.pngSdl3Txy.png

Man O' War
A Kerbal Submarine
Update 12.08.16

Started working on some Submarines, the Man O' War will be a Kerbal submarine shown in the Video below, the second is going to be a little more serious craft. Both subs will be released together when complete. Currently I am working on the 8 Torpedo Tubes, the Torpedos are launching.......somewhat and diving the sub is still needing some work. This Video is showing some progress.

e3Nad4c.jpg

xwdHel4.jpg

I'm not showing much more than this until tomorrow, but here's an N1 I've been working on. This one is configured for exploring Arkas in a test save (since I needed to test out the delta-v requirements), though I suspect with a different second stage it would be able to facilitate a fully soviet-style Mun mission in the 6.4x scale solar system. I'm going to try that some time soon, but it might not be for a while.

9 hours ago, Munbro Kerman said:

Almost done with the OSIRIS-REx launch vehicle: the Atlas V 411

8 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I've been working on an Atlas V too, after being inspired by @Majorjim!'s.  I've been meaning to make a 2.5 meter one ever since we got vectors.

Good works chaps! I'm tempted to try a 411 just to see how it is to fly with one offset booster.

Still working on my rockets, and the He969 especially, finding strange quirks, reducing part count, and fixing all of the aforementioned. I made a video on it, and found out you shouldn't decouple the nosecone (a simple nosecone can destroy a huge 1000+ ton lifter?) too early.

8 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

Because of a ridiculously stupid glitch i wont be able to continue work on my boat. I cant actually edit anything about it at all. Im bummed. 

That sucks. And is the reason I always save two versions of the same craft.

12 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

Because of a ridiculously stupid glitch i wont be able to continue work on my boat. I cant actually edit anything about it at all. Im bummed. 

I have lost so many hours of work too, I know your pain :( my steamboat was completely rebuilt because something like this happen to me.

Edited by Castille7