Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Diesel Rig Set
Update: 12.31.2016

Well this project just got extended, I wanted the Dry Van Trailer to be functional and thought about adding a door for cargo to be loaded. The hinge idea is too large giving a very little opening for loading cargo. Not sure if I will try another idea or leave it as is. Ok I added another idea in the photos, it's a hinge much like a  @Majorjim! idea. The swing of the door is not clearing the trailer too easily causing problems at the moment.

ALyIwgB.png

Spoiler

zSuj2xL.png

ryBgsBB.png

New smaller Hinge Idea works.......sometimes!

bWDp7cX.png

Edited by Castille7

I was working on a reusable lifter to take 360 Kerbals anywhere in the system, but KSP had other plans and decided to make the save file corrupt.

Here is a picture, and yes, this was after physics loaded in, the pad blows up upon launch though, so I'll have to find a way to avoid that with my next rebuild of it.

g02oEWl.png

Using the information you guys gave me on part count, and lag, The part count is 459 parts, and the DeltaV in the first stage (with a 750 ton cargo) is 5,500.

That leaves you 1000 deltaV for re-entry, boost back, landing, etc. and it comes with air breaks, and parachutes for assisting the powered landing, as this 5000 ton first stage (when fully fueled) is hard to land on any kind of drag alone.

Sliding Hinge

Started working on a Sliding Hinge for my Diesel Rig Set. The Dry Van Trailer had a door without function and I decided to play with the idea of a functional door. I've been experimenting with this Sliding Hinge idea and it's working fairly well.

dni4Go9.png

xxseFoM.png

Diesel Rig Set
Update: 01.02.2017

This is a first for me with a Video like this. I decided to create this behind the scenes footage with all the little happenings that go on during my projects. On this update I've built a Loading Ramp and small Rovers named Rover DRS & Rover DRS2.

Edited by Castille7

I've been working on this behemoth lately.

Bex1yhA.png

Convair B-36J Peacekeeper. Oddly enough, even with 12 wheesleys and 4 panthers, it still only makes it to about 150m/s. That, plus pitch control is awful. Is that something I should expect for something this large, or do you have any tips to make it more flyable?

Also, it has a little buddy.

El5V5HA.png

XF-85 "Goblin" parasite fighter.

That's because it's a freaking B-36 and bigger than a house.  Seriously, those things kinda sucked in RL too, but I do think it's a wonderful recreation, quite faithful to the real thing.  And if you can get the Goblin to work as a legit parasitic fighter I'll give you a kiss.

3 hours ago, Servo said:

Convair B-36J Peacekeeper. Oddly enough, even with 12 wheesleys and 4 panthers, it still only makes it to about 150m/s. That, plus pitch control is awful. Is that something I should expect for something this large, or do you have any tips to make it more flyable?

IIRC struts drastically increase drag

Does this count? The Goblin somehow latched onto the Peacekeeper and wouldn't let go...

Mhhg4Rq.png

My guess is that the landing gear I was using as a "hook" clipped into the tank and wouldn't clip back through. I didn't try maneuvering like this, but I couldn't unstick it without exploding everything.

Also, explosions:

wg5Vyey.png

I've been trying to run it like a normal docking (align prograde relative velocity with to target, and come in at a minimum relative velocity (typically 5-8m/s), and it's been tricky. I've come really close a few time (see: explosions), but no success.

On 1/3/2017 at 5:43 PM, Thor Wotansen said:

That's because it's a freaking B-36 and bigger than a house.  Seriously, those things kinda sucked in RL too, but I do think it's a wonderful recreation, quite faithful to the real thing.  And if you can get the Goblin to work as a legit parasitic fighter I'll give you a kiss.

I expect you to deliver on that.

Z3hpuVX.png

It started on the docking port in the middle, and wound up on the KLAW in the front.

Hmmdlwq.png

And I stuck the landing (kinda). It's really hard to land this thing without blowing up the tail.

@Gman_builder it's a 3d labyrinth game. The goal is to tilt the whole thing around using reaction wheels to roll a ball from a starting point, along an obstacle course to a basket at the end.

In the pictures I first failed and had the ball fall out, then the whole thing fell and broke the runway.

12 minutes ago, Servo said:

I expect you to deliver on that.

Z3hpuVX.png

It started on the docking port in the middle, and wound up on the KLAW in the front.

Hmmdlwq.png

And I stuck the landing (kinda). It's really hard to land this thing without blowing up the tail.

Oh you magnificent beast you!  :kiss: