Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

7 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Been working on my Apollo moon mission replica again.

The CSM now has crew capacity, the umbilical, and the antenna. Thinking I might do a custom service module engine. It doesn't look right with all the mainsail turbomachinery components sticking out at the base. I need to do some meddling in the craft file to set up the fairing around the LM. The in-game tool is kind of finicky with this kind of thing.

After that I'll do tests flying this thing to the Mun and back from LKO, then I've got to do the S-IC and S-II stages, and the the launch escape system. Then more testing, and then it will finally be done. Might try to do some part count reduction on the LM again. If I can get it low enough I might add ALSEPs and a LRV.

Nice, it's a lot more detailed than mine!

54 minutes ago, Azimech said:

It is! :D

You should have an open categroy, for wheeled vehicles that maintain contact with the ground.

4 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

Nice, it's a lot more detailed than mine!

You should have an open categroy, for wheeled vehicles that maintain contact with the ground.

All vehicles are required to maintain contact with the ground ;-)

1 hour ago, KenjiKrafts said:

Hello so im making a new SPAA, and I think it looks hideous, thoughts? :D 

https://gyazo.com/868a1ecf183da733e38b9363dac35e82

Well I mean you aren't wrong, but form follows function. As long as it works well, looks shouldn't matter. At least thats what I tell myself when I build rockets :wink:

2 hours ago, KenjiKrafts said:

thoughts? :D 

Impractical. Couple shots in the middle, and it can't move anymore.

Pretty, but yeah, that^

Currently trying to decide between a wrong looking SPS and a bad looking SPS.

1vGp5Hj.jpg

(Wrong looking one)

j8NNJ80.jpg

(Accurately shaped but bad looking one which has a terrier sitting in the middle of the bell)

Any suggestions? I'm remembering that this kind of thing is why I kept putting off working on this thing.

1 hour ago, Munbro Kerman said:

@EpicSpaceTroll139 Possibly use radiators to shape the bell, while fitting the mainsail in?

That actually works nicely. Might have to adopt it on the J-2 and F-1 engines. Even if it does add to the part count and has some strutty things on the inside, it looks a lot better than having a terrier visibly sitting in the middle of the engine bell. :)

n3WI669.jpg

On a side note, I discovered that the mainsail's model is a little bit crooked.

JD3QcZq.jpg

(Note, I have not offset it. It just starts like that.) :o

9 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

On a side note, I discovered that the mainsail's model is a little bit crooked.

Yeah I noticed that too when working on my SaturnV. Odd huh.. Your CSM is larger than mine which as you have discovered makes the motor a tricky situation. I much prefer the fairing version to the radiator one. Try using the fairing one but using small parts like backwards thermos to cover up the yellow band.

Made an experimental helicopter based on my new bearing design. As you can see it's fast with afterburner enabled, without afterburner it still does 115m/s.

So it's a lot less draggy than my MK3 cargo bay based engines and a lot lighter while probably just as strong. This was an experiment using Panthers for driving the engine. I'm not satisfied with them, I'm going to replace them with Juno's - lighter even if it means more parts.

zrz8ftY.png

On 6/8/2017 at 11:21 PM, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

@Majorjim!

Hmmm... Well for the inside of the nozzel it's either this:

Or this:If it weren't for the black struts on the radiators, it would be a clear-cut choice, but... ugh...

I'll try covering over the orange line, and see what I think.

I think your CSm is slightly long, meaning you are making the bell to big, looks good though!

3 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

I think your CSm is slightly long, meaning you are making the bell to big, looks good though!

One thing kept bothering me about photos and movies of Apollo, I just realised the capsule was covered completely by the LES, see here

220px-Launch_escape_system_diagram.jpg

On the ground the capsule looks white, but in space it is always silver. I never realised the LES had a boot that fit over the capsule.

Just now, Azimech said:

What is CSm?

Command Sevice Module

10 hours ago, Azimech said:

Nice design! I always liked the impression of rectangular exhaust vents.

Thanks, the 1.25m end cap actually has a stock hinge covered by a fairing in in it, allowing for rotating rings, but I haven't figured out how to integrate them yet. On a completely unrelated note, has anyone else realised how useful the new extending Vostok 0.67m airlock will be for stock hinges? We have a small docking port that extends and retracts more than 1.8m, and stays as one craft, effectively removing all the tweaking and over building that you need to make a time warp proof stock hinge now. I predict this will bring about a golden age of stock hinge accessibility.  

SSTO - Galaxy Cruiser 

I will be the first to tell you I am not an Ace when it comes to the TWR Factor.....:blush: I am starting with two Vectors just for testing the structure and I see the fuselage is splitting in the center, after the first test flight both fuselage were kicking like swimming legs so I added struts on the stern thinking that would be efficient and now we see that it will require a few more struts to make it a solid craft. I plan to build some custom engine packages so the craft can officially be an SSTO because at the moment we have not yet achieved Orbit. Plan B will be to add drills and storage to refuel at a near by Mun like Minmus maybe? :wink:

In Flight Now 06.10.17 / 8:25 AM Central :D

5l1r5FD.png

zNhPMJN.png

1 hour ago, Azimech said:

What do you guys think of my newest design? First flight, not yet finished.

I like it, a sleek design has a very nice look..........I think The Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation would approve!