Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

A quick peek into my drawing board - 

xyHkIg0.png

Not sure exactly how much time I want to sink into this idea. It's going to come down to how difficult it is to build the orbiter.

fYgFGKf.png

This design is inspired by @prgmTrouble's really clever work on a flat rotating engine. Putting the airbrake on the engine really compacts the design and makes this one almost foolproof. I've been meaning to complete the U.S. combat jets in 1:1 (I only need the F-35 and the F-22 at the moment), and this is the first step to getting a 1:1 F-35.

1 hour ago, Servo said:

fYgFGKf.png

This design is inspired by @prgmTrouble's really clever work on a flat rotating engine. Putting the airbrake on the engine really compacts the design and makes this one almost foolproof. I've been meaning to complete the U.S. combat jets in 1:1 (I only need the F-35 and the F-22 at the moment), and this is the first step to getting a 1:1 F-35.

Very nice interpretation!

For some reason, the docking ports seem to be a little weird in this version, so my engines refuse to dock to the same port twice. Has your design been successful with re-docking?

6 hours ago, prgmTrouble said:

Very nice interpretation!

For some reason, the docking ports seem to be a little weird in this version, so my engines refuse to dock to the same port twice. Has your design been successful with re-docking?

The golden rule of messing with docking ports is that they have to get more than 1m apart before they can redock. (It might actually be closer to 1.25m, but I'm pretty sure it's 1m). A lot of the challenge of building planes like this is fitting the sweep of the docking ports into the design.

kXxOaYx.png

Here's the side view of the design - red marks hinges, blue is docking ports/airbrakes/engines. The mechanism hasn't changed much, except for the addition of airbrake/elevon gloves around the engine so that it looks good while in flight.

OMA2uj0.png

Work has continued on the F-35. I'm building it back-to-front, expanding outward from the engine. I'm giving particular interest to the shape of the fuselage - it's not something I focused on in my previous F-35, and I want to get it right this time.

global_supplier_to_the_f-35_lightning_ii

EDIT/UPDATE

DWyvyLq.png

Work continued on the F-35 through the evening. The I-beam framing made the wings come together really fast - I recommend it. It's a lot easier to get I-beam outlines into the shape you want that it is to get wings. VTOL testing was underway at this stage as well. Fully fueled, it's got a TWR just barely above 1,  landing should be easier. Most of what remains is putting a top on this thing, and maybe arming it. I've got functioning weapon bays underneath to hold whatever I can fit in there. I can just feel that this thing is going to get nowhere near mach 1.

Edited by Servo

This is the last update I will post on my A380 before it is completed. After the rough start, progress sped up massively. This is thanks to me using a new building technique, for this craft I've been building most major components completely seperately and then adding them onto the craft.

gX3F2ge.jpg

This technique allows me to avoid the crippling lag normally present when building craft of this nature.

As for the craft itself the tailplanes have been added as well as a WIP wing base. Largely thanks to utilizing various new building techniques this craft has rapidly become my most accurate replica, and simultaneously is set to have the shortest development time.

CNNN0MD.jpg

I have also started work on the last major component of the craft, the wings.

J05C1jU.jpg

ChgLiII.jpg

So far only the wing edges have been built, but from the experience of constructing the tailplane and tailfin I can safely say that completing the wings will not take long. Though compared to those two the wings do have a much more complex shape.

From there all that's left is to add the passanger cabins and the cockpit.

Xn4Pf7w.png

Congrats, @EvenFlow, you brought me to the dark side. Solar panel cockpits will never cut it again...

vOL8J8f.png

I just finished the first draft of the F-35B. A whole bunch of new techniques here in addition to the fuel tank cockpit. There's the engine-mounted airbrake (a real gamechanger for this sort of craft), my first use of the large elevons in replicas. The tail section is modeled using stacked elevons, another first for me. The shape of the F-35's tail really lent itself to this technique, not sure how often it'll show up again. I've also got my first proper use of internal weapon bays, and more airbrakes in shaping the fuselage.

Tomorrow - flight testing, and the inevitable slew of minor tweaks that come with it.

43 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

With the new structural panels, making an X-Wing is looking more possible than ever:

SvUR24q.gif

Yep.

pWeLX1w.png

Not really a WIP, since I released it already, but I built this Rafale yesterday. Came out pretty good for ~5hrs of work.

And for a proper WIP, I'm still working on my Crusader and my Shuttle, though progress is slow on each. Just need to actually get the wings to redock on the F8U, and fine a good way to balance the thrust on the Shuttle.

4 minutes ago, Servo said:

SvUR24q.gif

Yep.

[...]

Not really a WIP, since I released it already, but I built this Rafale yesterday. Came out pretty good for ~5hrs of work.

And for a proper WIP, I'm still working on my Crusader and my Shuttle, though progress is slow on each. Just need to actually get the wings to redock on the F8U, and fine a good way to balance the thrust on the Shuttle.

Oooh, nice. I did not see that when it was released.

I'm going to try to make the T-65 though. I had tried to make one previously, but been put off by the challenge of making those surprisingly square wings and nose, along with the S-wing mechanism, of course.

Oh X-wing, why do all of your dimensions resist replication in KSP so?

me4opv8.png

Attempting to make a 1 meter tube. Luckily there's some greebles on this part so I can hide how wonky it looks. Still going to drive the part count through the roof.

EDIT: And I had to resort to craft file editing to make the mechanism work. Is that considered stock?

Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist

1 hour ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

And I had to resort to craft file editing to make the mechanism work. Is that considered stock

Did that for my Have Blue replica with landing gear bays (jacked up the elevon deployment). Don't really have a problem calling that stock. 

1 hour ago, Triop said:

About to test this baby. 

oh no you stitched a rover to a plane. I feel as if the DLC retractable wheels would give it at least a bit of dignity. Does it have parachutes though?

50 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Does it have parachutes though?

PFFFFFFT! What is this blasphemy!

Also, I seem to recall a certain 

On 7/14/2018 at 1:07 PM, Triop said:

*CLASSIFIED* that can *CLASSIFIED* so we can *CLASSIFIED*

for no reason at all...

4 minutes ago, prgmTrouble said:

PFFFFFFT! What is this blasphemy!

Something from the higher-ups to prevent skilled kerbonauts from dying. They have their own parachutes now though so....... Don't need them on the craft probably. 

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

Something from the higher-ups to prevent skilled kerbonauts from dying. They have their own parachutes now though so....... Don't need them on the craft probably. 

JEB HAS NO FEAR 

*sees Jeb put on a parachute before jumping into the cockpit of my latest craft

Well maybe that's why...

gOsLXZS.png

Started work on something new tonight. This one's going to have a massive part count, but I'm not particularly concerned with that right now. Not sure how much I like the radial intakes to shape the upper fuselage, though.

0Hfycdm.png

Incidentally, this is the only combat aircraft in the U.S. arsenal that I haven't finished in 1:1 scale. I might make some support vehicles next and have some fun with cinematics for a while.

1 hour ago, Servo said:

Not sure how much I like the radial intakes to shape the upper fuselage, though.

I hate working with them because they are almost always the wrong size and/or shape by coincidence. I end up having to build ships to scale with these parts sometimes just for this reason.