GusTurbo

Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

Recommended Posts

Update Falcon 9 - Dragon V2

- smaller Trunk (Cargo Modul)

- No Fairing

- same Engine Confi ;-)

All parts of this rocket can be recovered, no Debris, maximum Orbit 400 Km (if you want to recover all). I´m really wondering about that, the main stage landing is the easiest part of this... 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Servo said:

2017 was the year for solar panel cockpits, 2018 was the year for fuel tank cockpits. I bring you 2019: the year of the communotron.

qYi77Fr.png\

I mean, who doesn't love flat black cockpits? 

kVKPZQA.png

I noticed that the B-2 was sorely lacking a modern replica, so I set out to fix that. This may get dialed back a smidge in scale - I didn't realize just how big the B-2 was.

This is as far as I got tonight, more progress to come.

I literally started making the Spirit about 20 hours ago. What is this sorcery?

The cockpit looks gorgeous! The biggest challenge will be getting that fuselage curvature right, I'm super eager to see the results!

My own take won't be ready for a while though since I have my exams coming up and they won't pass themselves sadly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, EvenFlow said:

I literally started making the Spirit about 20 hours ago. What is this sorcery?

The cockpit looks gorgeous! The biggest challenge will be getting that fuselage curvature right, I'm super eager to see the results!

My own take won't be ready for a while though since I have my exams coming up and they won't pass themselves sadly.

Well, that just means that one of us is psychic...

Got any progress you're willing to share on yours?

RpKBm56.png

Update on my end, I made the cockpit entirely too small, and too far forwards, so I fixed my mistake. This one is much closer to the source's shape too. Helps to be building at a much larger scale. I've kept the small cockpit in case I wind up wanting to make a subscale B-2 (because this one will easily be 500 parts).

Pzw4MP1.png

The same overlays that revealed that I underdid the cockpit helped me fix the shaping on the wing. I've continued the trailing edge around more, and will probably finish the wing before I start on the fuselage. It's kinda odd building a plane backwards, but considering that the B-2 is a flying wing, it stands to reason that that should come first.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've loaded up my cargo jet and removed the canards.

LVrknM0.png

First test flight:

uX4nqmS.png

ThIhusJ.png

A6s5dxi.png

Edited by Triop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More WIP:

ARdki0q.png

pZlDAVh.png

Qe87h5J.png

eIqzUTQ.png

Supersonic ! :cool:

Edited by Triop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2019 at 5:18 PM, Servo said:

(because this one will easily be 500 parts).

So that was a lie...

TGG16er.png

The Spirit is currently sitting at 540 parts, and as you can see, there's a good bit of work left to be done. However, there's a lot of progress to report on.

The underside was completely redone to be more accurately shaped, and to allow for the twin bomb bays plus landing gear bays.

KDALWu7.png

Also - it flies! 

There are a couple odd caveats to that one though. The first: it tops out at 80m/s on 8 panthers. Not sure how that math works out, but it probably has something to do with the fact that this craft is 80% wing panels at odd angles. I'm sure it'll fly brilliantly in FAR, though.

Secondly: this plane has the most screwed-up control scheme of any craft I think I'll ever release. Pitch is normal, but roll is reversed, because I had to set the middle set of elevons to negative control authority to get them to actuate correctly. The best part is the yaw control, though. Action groups 1, 2, and 3 set the control of the outboard rudders to deployed or neutral, allowing for yaw control on this yaw-less flying wing.

BGbP00g.png

Also, I'm just really proud of how the underside turned out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Servo said:

So that was a lie...

TGG16er.png

The Spirit is currently sitting at 540 parts, and as you can see, there's a good bit of work left to be done. However, there's a lot of progress to report on.

The underside was completely redone to be more accurately shaped, and to allow for the twin bomb bays plus landing gear bays.

KDALWu7.png

Also - it flies! 

There are a couple odd caveats to that one though. The first: it tops out at 80m/s on 8 panthers. Not sure how that math works out, but it probably has something to do with the fact that this craft is 80% wing panels at odd angles. I'm sure it'll fly brilliantly in FAR, though.

Secondly: this plane has the most screwed-up control scheme of any craft I think I'll ever release. Pitch is normal, but roll is reversed, because I had to set the middle set of elevons to negative control authority to get them to actuate correctly. The best part is the yaw control, though. Action groups 1, 2, and 3 set the control of the outboard rudders to deployed or neutral, allowing for yaw control on this yaw-less flying wing.

BGbP00g.png

Also, I'm just really proud of how the underside turned out.

I will probably download this, it's gonna be pretty low in terms of part count

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

>be me

>suddenly feel itch to play ksp after almost a year

>log onto forums to see whats going on

>servo is making a b2 replica

dammit i was too late

fuT7vIz.png

Edited by PaperAviator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Working on a jet that can refuel other jets on bases all around the world.

It has over 2000 LF.

Testflying now.

WPiCWqM.png

EDIT:

I've added more fueltanks in the middle, it now has 2560 LF on board. Mass: 21.105t :o

CZW2fJi.png

Edited by Triop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Phantomic said:

I will probably download this, it's gonna be pretty low in terms of part count

699 parts, ready for release. That low enough for you?

12 hours ago, PaperAviator said:

>be me

>suddenly feel itch to play ksp after almost a year

>log onto forums to see whats going on

>servo is making a b2 replica

dammit i was too late

Don't let what anyone else is building stop you from sharing your craft! Things would get pretty boring around here if nobody contributed because someone else was doing the same thing. Besides, I bet you anything yours beats mine in handling, top speed, and most importantly part count any day of the week.

T3G3oM2.png

I'm uploading this in the morning, so last update before release. I finished off the upper body and finished flight testing this beast.

Y6lcvp7.png

You can get a pretty good look at the rudder steering here, plus the top speed. Not kidding, this thing tops out at 65m/s in level flight. I keep thinking the panthers are occluded, but nothing's overheating.

I've edited up some screenshots to make everything pretty, and will assemble them and the KerbalX page tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Servo said:

Not kidding, this thing tops out at 65m/s in level flight. I keep thinking the panthers are occluded, but nothing's overheating.

Have you tried using rapiers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5.5k dV, closed space for the crew, 6 heavy drill and ore converter in basic configuration) Preorder with 20% discount

 

eecbiY4.png

LuzpuVj.jpg

OM2yQJV.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WIP no more . . .

e0EqtR6.png

Follow it's actions here: :ph34r:

 

Edited by Triop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the years I've been playing, I still haven't done a Mission going to the Mun and Back. Many times I've started building a nice Lander and then got sidetracked to other projects that are still needing to be completed. I know I've said it before......I have soooo many WIPS and still starting another one...aaaahh! It's not by choice, KSP is so much fun I keep wanting to do the next fun thing I see and drop everything else to do so :D Back to this post, I started this build and want it to look as much to the RL as I can. So far I've made a few test and went into LKO. There is a weak point that rigid setting and autostrut isn't keeping it from breaking. I've placed some struts at the weak section and testing it now, it doesn't look too good and I may try to reconstruct it. 

iYyhEXl.png

Spoiler

DkXQNP0.png

 

uYaJ4Nz.png

 

There is an MK1-3 Command Pod inside those Radiator Panels......more pictures later

3VS6xWJ.png

 

Edited by Castille7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image0.jpg

My current best BD fighter, which I’m constantly upgrading and never finish. After fiddling with the intakes I decided to make some custom DCK textures for squadron markers, and I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

qAGF3CWr.png

 

Made the FFR-41MR Mave from Sentou Yousei Yukikaze today. I will release it after it gets enough flight testing.


3y8w8pgq19e21.png?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=6c0ccb4c5102af515fcba4d6d4c9c9133acc9f66
 

Update: It flies lovely!

Edited by EvenFlow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Is that... a white Mk I pod?

Yes, courtesy update 1.6 ;)

Edited by Aerospike
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Working on my first space station that has moving parts, I'll start small by making a shielded docking port.

nlZbxLJ.png

gOmuO9W.png

PjgEWkk.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Torn4dO said:

Working on my first space station that has moving parts, I'll start small by making a shielded docking port.

nlZbxLJ.png

gOmuO9W.png

PjgEWkk.jpg

ELEVATORS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phantomic said:

ELEVATORS

Well, at least you won't be needing to compose any music for them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

odPHmXa.png

Yukikaze is releasing tomorrow, I think I polished out the flight characteristics enough. c:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.