Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Back after a long hiatus
Saw a heavy SSTO design, thought I'd make my own - how hard can it be, right? (I've made spaceplanes before, little ones, but now I've actually read stuff on how to make them work and things). This isn't designed for career mode, so I'm not too fussed about things like payload fraction; I'm all about that payload mass (aiming for 4 orange tanks, because why would that be difficult at all?)

UiDlOYq.png

Obviously it's missing, y'know, wings and engines and stuff. Like, the actual hard part. but I'm working on it

11 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

I'd start with the prop blades. You have the trailing edge out in front.

I always do that, they get a bit more speed that way for some reason

Edit: i fixed it, i just took half the reaction wheels out and added another set of blades, it now runs on 3 wheels...

and is on kerbal X if you're interested https://kerbalx.com/PhantomAerospace/cessna-152

Edited by Phantomic

Spaceplane put to one side, so I can make a (sort-of) replica Space Marine Rhino that I will, among other things, be submitting for zoomadegames's thing

Fmkd3jd.jpg

h1rer2P.jpg

Destroyed various tanks and small buildings at ramming speed; damaged a few wheels, but generally doing alright ^^ Little sluggish to accelerate, is there any way to boost that besides adding more wheels?

Step 2: figure out doors (edit: turns out there's an expansion with hinges coming today)

Step 4: Add details, maybe tweak outline to be more accurate

Step 5: make a variant with chairs instead of crew cabins (higher part count, but + capacity and - weight

Step 6: make Razorback, Predator, Vindicator, Whirlwind, Hunter & Stalker variants

Edited by Orky Kultur

14 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

You could hide a jet engine in the hull. The Abrams tank uses a turboshaft to drive the wheels, which is not exactly the same, but still.

Eh, maybe for the Baal versions (the vehicle is finished now thanks to hinges (!!!) but I don't have screencaps)

All hail the return of the classic 'cupcake' style SSTO!!!

The aerodynamic overhaul killed them a few years ago, but with the new servos they are suddenly viable again. The engine pods simply swivel to face the rear when flying through atmo, reducing drag.

9HBch2O.png

Before I finish up my F-14, I'm gonna mess around with the joints and see what they can do first.

A little truck with a truck bed for launching things. Clearly the launch of the cargo kind of wrecked the truck bed.

COzscFQ.png

Folding wing design with the hinges.

MesPJDw.png

qW8DnIh.png

Edited by Mignear

As announced, here is my WIP of the MK3 version of the Bell Osprey. She does ok so far - as long as you don't try to get flying faster than 30m/s in hover mode. Her rotors are in perfect symetry and have just the force to get her going nicely.

For those wanting to try her out, here's the link: https://kerbalx.com/Shadow_dream/Bell-V-22-Osprey-MK3

I will update her every now and then when I get improvements working (don't expect them daily though!). I would be glad if some of the more talented Kerbals have a hint or two to improve performance!

For flying I highly reccomend a Joystick, binding 4 axises to the new custom axises from the BG DLC. Defaults are: 1) Rotor RPM, 2) Engine Pitch, 3) Blade Pitch, 4) Rotor Torque.

As I mentioned flying fast: I was not able to get the transition working just yet. Since I can not use Autostrut, the entire mechanism bends like crazy when accelerating and ultimately twisting the engine pitch back to 90° vertical with a strong nose up, which arrests all speed gained so far. Bummer. At least she can taxi with her engines horizontal! Also, by pressing Abort, she folds up so she's ready for Carrier Duty =D

Spoiler

PYy0iVN.jpg

PPdGUM9.jpg

hP2JS2F.jpg

Thank you

I did a few last tweaks here and there and updated the KerbalX Craft. The ability to use Autostrut is actualy there - just be cautious where it links to! Using "root" or "grandparent" seems to do ok. At least she SOMEHOW does level flight ok-ish now at about 57m/s. That's the best for today, I'm off to bed!

Spoiler

EvH2J7V.png

Edit: Update

Stacking a second rotor in did help with the thrust. However I somehow lost the ability to use Auto Strut (Parking Mode won't work anymore), but it does not seem to cripple performance much - just glitching here and there.

In a testflight I almost reached the Island Runway, unfortunately I miscalculated the EC requirement and went for a swim instead. Continuous RW use for leveling flight drained the batteries faster than expected. I added a fifth big fuel cell and changed the AoA on the wings to reduce RW use.

Spoiler

Bism1BW.png

Continuous RW use for leveling flight drained the batteries faster than expected. I added a fifth big fuel cell and changed the AoA on the wings to reduce RW use. She's still a B**ch to fly, so check your chutes before flight!

Edited by Shadow dream

I spun this testbed up, hit the brakes, and flung 0.145 tons at an average of 58 m/s. I'm not yet up to flinging Kerbals into Minmus orbit, but I'm getting there. This kind of clutch-based flinger isn't really the way to go, but it sure is fun.

sxMYwgw.png