3 patches later the docking rings are still broken? Sigh

Tripzter

So it's been a while since I've flew. Today I decided to pick it up again. Get my space station main module in career mode all ready to go. Launch it into space so i start docking my next modules.. Yup you guessed it first module i send up there.. the ports go right through each other and bounce off (.1ms) and the magnets do not want to activate.

I played a little in .21, barely played in .22, and now .23 the docking rings are still broken. Anyone know of a quick way to get around that issue where the docking rings don't want to accept each other?

Its a bug.. it has been a bug since the docking rings were first introduced. Rather disappointing its taking this long to make a reset function.

Edited by Tripzter

Yes i'm sure the ports arent backwards. They just go through eachother like theres nothing there.

Will mess more around with it later and take few pics of it.

Its a bug where one of the ports is stuck in the "docked" position and acts like its not there.

Dont have pics atm however if you doubt my skills take a look at my space station from i think .21.. no mechjeb was used.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/45602-Tripzter-Space-Station-%28Evolution-and-completion%29-Image-heavy

I've had this problem with one particular design, that had very small modules that didn't have a probe core (or maybe they where just small, I can't remember now). There is a solution but you need to save and then edit your quicksave file.

Find the docking port in question (which is the hardest step, but if you search for the craft name first and then search down from that you should find it so long as you don't have a ton of ports to choose from).

It is likely that it's state is set to "Acquired" and you need to change it to be "Ready"

state = Acquired <--wrong state for docking
state = Ready <--change it to this

Must be something local. Ever since docking has come out, I have been building multi-component interplanetary space ships and never had a docking problem :s ???

I also have never had a problem with the docking ports.

You using mods or anything else that could be causing the issue?

Its not local (seeing that others are having the same problem). Used to play it on my old pc .21. Now got a new pc, reinstalled it from scratch and same issue... the only thing in common is my steam account.

Game is stock.

Huh. I've experienced the bug, when two ports refused to disconnect. But never had the problem with two ports clipping through each other. And i've docked dozens of ships and stations across the system.

Thats another docking port bug. The parts pull each other however when they save one saves as docked, the other says acquiring and they clip through each other just enough and get stuck like that and cannot disconnect. Had that happen a while ago as well.

Edited by Tripzter

I had this problem once, in .22. After undocking two craft, one was fine but the other wouldn't dock to anything; no magnetics, it was just completely dead. (I did not try re-docking it to the original craft.)

Edited by Mazlem

Must be something local. Ever since docking has come out, I have been building multi-component interplanetary space ships and never had a docking problem :s ???

This is what I thought, then it happened to me too. Took three attempts before the magnetics finally kicked in and docked me. Pure stock, brand new .23. I had done a quick practice mission to see if I still had the docking skills.

Here was the mission after success:

as8v.png

Disregard the random map glitch.

I think the OP is pointing out that is taking too long to fix this bug. But just in case, I just undock and redock another part of the ship, which resets all the docking ports.

You are correct, i am pointing out that its taking way too long to repair a bug that should have been fixed ages ago. Unfortunately I cant dock so i can undock. That said i'll have to resend my space ship and hope that the bugged port was on my 2nd ship and not on the main station.

Never had this happen to me, and I've docked with every docking port multiple times, build quite a few space stations, and orbitally-constructed interplanetary craft.

If the bug is really there, it is a very rare bug.

If the bug wasnt there it wouldnt be an issue for multiple people.

Edited by Tripzter

Could try a fresh install and verifying the game cache (if using steam)
Its not local (seeing that others are having the same problem). Used to play it on my old pc .21. Now got a new pc, reinstalled it from scratch and same issue... the only thing in common is my steam account.

Read page 1.

btw this is the actually bug report on this problem http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/1158

It includes the "quick" fix that I posted on the previous page.

It is a rare bug, but it does exist...and unfortunately that bug report doesn't seem to be going anywhere, infact it's status is still new, not confirmed. In the devs defense, because of it rarity it is very hard to replicate.

If you have a pure stock save that has this issue then it would be a good idea to write that up as an update to that report and include a copy of your save file. I was using mods when I had it happen so I couldn't add to that report and I've not been able to replicate it since. The only way we're going to see this fixed is if we can show the devs a stock replication of the problem.

Yup figured out which port it was.. luckily it was the bugged port on the testing modules. Launched a new ship and it docked fine.

I've also figured out one way of how to replicate the bug... Do a quick save after the magnets start working and you'll bug the ports once you load the game.

Anyhow pic of it being docked... the new port that is.

screenshot1_zpsa5d7a239.jpg

I think SkyRender is right about the distinction of radially attached core vs attached to central stack having something to do with it.

@Tripzter, that sounds like a good replication but from memory when I had it, it didn't matter how far apart the modules where when I saved. It seemed more dependent on the modules themselves (which in my case didn't have a core at all). Can you do a test and see of the buggy port is still buggy if you save/reload before the magnets engage. But regardless I think your finding if worth mentioning as an update to that bug report.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.