What is the absolutely first game you remember playing?

11of10

Ha.

Hunt the Wumpus. On an ICL mainframe. Via a Teletype ASR-33 printing terminal. :P

Brings back memories. In the late 70s and early 80s I played "Colossus Cave", "Hunt the Wumpus", "B2 Bomber", and "Prime Trek" on a Prime mini computer. I can't remember the model but it at least had Lear crt terminals. If I remember right the games were all programmed in FORNTRAN.

I don't remember the very first ones, but nibbles.bas (

) and gorilla.bas (
) were among the early ones :). Those were Qbasic games from MS-DOS 5, I must've been around 7 at the time. No colour screen though until a few laters later...

Remember those 80's computer game magazines which came with Basic listings ? you had to pages and pages of text into your crappy 8 bit micro and if you so much as got a comma in the wrong place all your effort was wasted.

And even when you were successful the resulting 'game' always turned out to be rubbish...

I'm not as old as most people here, but my first game that I considered my family's or mine, is Unreal Tournament, can't remember which version, prob 2004.

Although technically the first game I've ever played is most likely an educational game way back when, no idea which one.

Remember those 80's computer game magazines which came with Basic listings ? you had to pages and pages of text into your crappy 8 bit micro and if you so much as got a comma in the wrong place all your effort was wasted.

And even when you were successful the resulting 'game' always turned out to be rubbish...

LOL yes ...

I also remember my very very first programming steps on the C-64 in Commodore-Basic.

It was planned be the sprite of a rocket, that starts from teh ground and ascends into the sky and involved lots of Peeks and Pokes.

Well, due to my beginners programming skills, the rocket turned out to move across the screen from left to right (and reentering on the left after it left on the right),

all the while bouncing between the bottom and the top of the screen :D

Dont remember the name, but there was a wolf from "ÃÂу, ÿþóþôø!" cartoon with basket and there was falling eggs and you had to drive the wolf to catch all the eggs.

Heh, I remember that one. :D

I remember playing a lot of those handheld games back in the day...

Edited by Awaras

Yeah I remember them well. The 48k Spectrum also had the most god-awful method of BASIC programming known to man. Take a look at the keyboard:

Screenshot-Spectemu.png

Notice how every button has about three functions mapped to it, depending on whether you press the button or a combination of the button and shift or symbol-shift. Admittedly it does make it nigh-on impossible to misspell functions, but I spent more time trying to find the functions on the keyboard than I did typing.

EDIT: Actually now that you mention the old magazines, remember getting about 4 games free with every magazine? I'd have to reckon about 90% of my spectrum games collection came from magazines.

Edited by pxi
Additional nostalgia

Notice how every button has about three functions mapped to it, depending on whether you press the button or a combination of the button and shift or symbol-shift.

So not unlike most laptops & minis today then ;)

Ancient MS-Dos games (I think they were DOS. Might have been older...) - Either a Maze game that I can't find pictures of, or this version of frogger:

frogger.gif

Funny thing is, the computers I played these on were older than I was.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.