KSPFactory - part.cfg Config file editor

imdying

Kerbal Grass and Grain are happy to introduce the first small step in their journey to help Kerbal kind.

The KSP Factory is a simple part.cfg editor.

You can download the latest version here: http://www./?1l3er3gni8q62lb

It requires .NET to run, I expect most if not all of you will have that.

Proposed features include:

- Rename multiple parts Manufacturer and Author field at once

- Target a number of part folders at once

- Backup the part.cfg to allow restore to stock added

- KSP Loader function (select the parts you want to use, load the game... to reduce load time and number of parts in VAB)

- .craft validator (ensure you have all the parts required to use a .craft file before loading the game)

- Craft pack file (.zip) creator (ensure all the parts required to use a .craft file and included in your release .zip file

- Creator mode type (unlimited: no limits on values, strict: limit values to what KSP can actually use, balanced: limit values to keep parts in balance)

- Interaction with the KSP Repository type websites to allow downloading of new parts directly into your library

- Visual display of nodes vs collision mesh/object mesh to make tuning those connection points faster and easier

Keen to hear what people think the right limits are for each value. HarvesteR, an official list would be great.

I can assume that two people have tried it without it falling into a screaming heap then ;D

It\'s light on error trapping, message boxes, and generally any sort of friendliness, but it\'s also pretty straight forward. Bit of luck once people get epic cheater rocket making out of their system, it should help them fine tune their parts, and also remind them of all the applicable properties for the module. Beats being careful with text files at least 8)

Bit of luck I\'ll get some time on it tonight, so I\'ll add a popup that displays the config that would be written. Hell you could even copy n paste from that in the meantime. When I do, please sing out if you see anything that isn\'t kosher, or that you believe would break your part.

easy to edit and understand, indeed - they are....

but then - not very easy to make sure everything is set in a way that doesn\'t mess up the balance of the game and/or get your attach points aligned right

this device can really go a long way for the parts standardization effort :thumbup:

thanks for making it! :cheers:

Wish I had this earlier, when I was trying to fix up an old part. Guessing at the coordinates you need for attach points isn\'t fun, especially when you have to open the .cfg file, change a value, save file, open KSP to check it, find it was wrong, close KSP, and repeat until right.

.cfg files aren\'t hard at all, but what this tool will allow is to make the job a whole lot easier.

For a start, being able to open, backup, edit, save any .cfg from one window (interface) is a bonus.

Select the manufacturer, author etc from a drop down menu if it\'s in the list. You\'d be surprised how many minor errors there are in the consistency of some .cfg files out there.

Eventually a parts loader where you can slide you connecting node into place in a real time visual display interface. It\'ll turn node setups into a 1 minute job.

Eventually a parts loader where you can slide you connecting node into place in a real time visual display interface. It\'ll turn node setups into a 1 minute job
GoDamitt has more faith in my abilities than I do! Although I have to admit that would be neat.

Nobody needs a config editor, but from what I\'ve seen after looking through hundreds of config files, almost everybody could use a little angel on their shoulder ensuring they\'ve used the same spelling of author/manufacturer etc at the very least. I\'ve also seen things like vectors with missing commas, misspelt properties, and properties applied to modules which don\'t support them. If you guys can help me figure out what\'s legit and what isn\'t, I\'ll give you a way to easily make sure your files always are.

Here\'s an updated version. It\'ll save a file. I\'ve looked at the output for a few modules and it seems ok. Backup your files first, or duplicate the folder. The first time you save a part it creates a part.bak file to which you can always revert... but be smart, don\'t rely on that.

http://www./?c7ctnymupet27p4

I\'ve only got less than a week of spare time in it so expect some personality 8)

I am sure you know of it, but if not: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/~kerbalsp/wiki/index.php?title=CFG_File_Documentation

Its not 100% up to date, but we can probably fill in what isn\'t.

Yeah, I\'d have been knackered without it. I think it\'s out of date now; it looks like a dev would have to go through it. Next port of call for me has been to search for HarversteR\'s posts with the name of the attribute. After that, guess ;D

Great program. ;D

Just something I\'ve noticed though - not sure if it\'s human/my laptop\'s error or the program\'s, but sometimes it takes a few tries to get it to start right. What I mean is, sometimes when it starts and I load the part list, I can choose parts on the left, but clicking on them produces nothing to the right; just grayed-out entry lines.

I\'m running Windows 7 64-bit so that may have something to do with it. I tried running it in Windows XP (SP3) mode, and it seems to start correctly more often, but it will still have issues sometimes.

Just letting you know in-case it is a bug. :)

Yeah the ASAS is missing. And RCS. And RCS fuel. Who wants to go first?

ASAS is there, load a parts folder and select an AdvSASModule part. When that is displayed you\'ll get these properties on the Module tab: fuelCrossFeed, maxTorque, Kp, Ki, Kd, iconCenter

RCSModule gives you: fuellCrossFeed, fuelConsumption and 6 thrust vectors

RCSFuelTank gives you: fuellCrossFeed, fuel, fullExplosionPotential, emptyExplosionPotential, dryMass

There\'s a bug in as much as changing the module doesn\'t update the Module tab with the specifics for that module, I\'ll fix that.

Great program. ;D

Just something I\'ve noticed though - not sure if it\'s human/my laptop\'s error or the program\'s, but sometimes it takes a few tries to get it to start right. What I mean is, sometimes when it starts and I load the part list, I can choose parts on the left, but clicking on them produces nothing to the right; just grayed-out entry lines.

I\'m running Windows 7 64-bit so that may have something to do with it. I tried running it in Windows XP (SP3) mode, and it seems to start correctly more often, but it will still have issues sometimes.

Just letting you know in-case it is a bug. :)

Not sure, but if you can reproduce it I can probably fix it. You\'ll need to run it in administrator mode on a 7 machine. I\'m developing it on an XP machine at the moment, so I don\'t have an easy way to test a change to that.

Here\'s a fix for the changing module type bug: http://www./?4em0tboj0835gt9

It also adds a text box for cutting the part list down to just items with titles containing the search text.

Not sure, but if you can reproduce it I can probably fix it. You\'ll need to run it in administrator mode on a 7 machine. I\'m developing it on an XP machine at the moment, so I don\'t have an easy way to test a change to that.

Here\'s a fix for the changing module type bug: http://www./?4em0tboj0835gt9

It also adds a text box for cutting the part list down to just items with titles containing the search text.

Thanks for the quick reply. Running it in Admin mode in addition to XP compatibility seems to help. I\'ve found something else now though haha. When the program saves a modified part (at least the 2 I fooled around with), it saves the 'attachRules =' in a comma-space format (ex. attachRules = 1, 1, 1, 1, 0) while normal parts files are saved with no spaces (attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0). The spaces have the interesting effect of not allowing me to attach anything to my modified parts unless it\'s on top of it.

Obviously, the simple fix is to remove the spaces and the attachments work correctly again.

Keep up the good work with the program. 8)

Work in progress:

- Double check node size is working

- Recheck what\'s allowable for FX syntax, maybe enable some more options

- Rename multiple parts Manufacturer and Author field at once

- Target a number of part folders at once (list is now a tree view)

- KSP Loader function (select the parts you want to use, load the game... to reduce load time and number of parts in VAB)

It\'ll be a couple of days, but should be an improvement.

add a version for mac, please.

It\'s a .NET program, perhaps you can use Mono to run it? I\'m not sure if that\'ll work or if it\'ll still work when I add 3D stuff (although I expect the XNA libraries have already been ported. I won\'t be releasing directly on any platforms I can\'t support though, and that includes Mac, but if you try it and have trouble I\'ll at least see if there\'s something I can do to help you.