Automatic orbit?

I\'ve been messing with the game and combing through the forums and slowly learning stuff before this turns into a full blown addiction. I built one of the rockets on the forums(This one

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=6225.0

) and then decided to test it. I\'m busy doing other things so i just hit the ASAS, max the throttle, and set it off. Maybe i push something else or click something else, i\'m honestly not sure.

Anyways stage one is burnt out and heading sideways, so i assume it\'s just a stability issue, jettison, and activate stage 2. I have pushed nothing but the spacebar at this point. I come back when stage 2 has burnt out a few minutes later and realize that the rocket has autopiloted itself into kerbian orbit. I have no idea how i did this.

In attempting to recreate this outcome i\'ve done the following-

I have once successfully seemed to recreate getting the ship to fly itself to orbit. (seems to have something to do with clicking on the display above the artificial horizon and toggling it to orbit instead of surface)

I usually just seem to have the rocket ignore anything i do and still just fly in a straight line.

Once or twice it\'s seemed like it\'s tried to get into orbit, but it winds up flipping around and doing totally insane stuff before either throwing itself into a solar orbit, or failing to get enough speed and into a very very very very long trip that eventually winds up crashing back into kerbal.

I\'ve actually looked around on the forums and the wiki and all I\'ve seen are lots of instructions and charts explaining how to do it manually, so was this just some crazy fluke or have I missed something completely?

Crazy fluke, though obviously the SAS helped. Gratz. I don\'t pay much attention to the Challenges culture, but I\'d be surprised if there weren\'t Spacebar-only and one-press orbit challenges.

There was. DocEvo successfully built one.

Crazy fluke, though obviously the SAS helped. Gratz. I don\'t pay much attention to the Challenges culture, but I\'d be surprised if there weren\'t Spacebar-only and one-press orbit challenges.

So for a crazy fluke i\'ve now been able to semi duplicate the results a few times. I\'m positive that the ASAS is having the rocket lineup on orbit simply because i\'ve had retro fuel left and it\'s centered itself on 290. Does anyone know how the ASAS works and what it uses to determine the correct flightpath? Or is it just that the rocket is unstable enough that it gets horizontal momentum along that axis?

The ASAS locks in a vector in privileged inertial gamespace and attempts to keep your nose on it. If you lock in vertical, Kerbin\'s going to rotate under you as you boost and make that inertial reference a retrograde gravity turn, so it doesn\'t surprise me that you\'d wind up heading west. The 290 surprises me a bit, since your theoretical turn should be slightly south of west. Maybe early \'hunting\' behavior by the ASAS feedback loop?